1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Supplement Prioritization

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by jmike, Jun 24, 2011.

1. jmike

jmike Active Member

I am getting back in the gym after a 6 year absense, and i am realearning a lot of stuff.

I am finishing up week 2 and still trying to get my workout right. I think i have settled on the 5x5

My current goal is to increase muscle mass, strength and fitness level.

I am 33, weigh 218, and have body fat percentage ... rough guess 26-30%

I have been trying to eat enough protein: (i am in afghanistan so i do not have a lot of control of what is available to eat)

breakfast: 50-55 grams of protein

Lunch: 55-60 grams of protein

Dinner: 60-70 grams of protein

My question was, what should my priority be for supplements?
    I can't buy them all at once, so I have to prioritize.

Thanks for any responses.

2. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Welcome back to the JSF boards. If you are getting all of your protein from food sources, there is really no need to supplement, especially at first. Let the nutrients and your workouts succeed. I would recommend only a multi-vitamin, fish oil caps and whey protein powder if you aren't getting all the protein in your plan from food.

Good luck with your fitness goals.
    JB

3. jmike

jmike Active Member

Thanks very much JB

i will most definitely seek out multi-vitamins --- possibly centrum?

will have to order fish oil caps from the states. Is there a reason everyone seems to supplement fish oil while bodybuilding?

I am working under the "assumption" that i should take in about 150-175 grams of protein a day. If i am wrong, please correct me.

Thanks again for the encouragement JB

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

If you are 218 I would shoot for a gram of protein per pound of body weight. You can also do better than Centrum. I think the sponsor here sells a multi (At Large) and I would go with their's or another quality multi. Fish oil, the omega 3's and healthy fats are very important to bodybuilders.
    It regulates cholersterol levels and can increase and maintain higher test levels. It's also good for the joints and has anti catabolic properties which is very important for muscle growth.

5. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Please keep in mind that most of what you pay for in terms of vitamin supplements will simply go to making expensive urine. (a) They are not in any way regulated thanks to loopholes, (b) most contain massively more than one needs, and (c) very little will be absorbed. If you eat a fairly balanced diet and get your fruits and veggies, you really have nothing to worry about in vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

6. jmike

jmike Active Member

excellent information

7. jmike

jmike Active Member

been reading about supplements today and read some very informative stuff -- mostly because i get paid in a few days

it looks like i will not need amino acids if i am taking in enough protein

not sure if i am -- so i will be buying some whey protein soon. i think this will be an excellent addition to my post workout - pre-bedtime. might also keep me from feeling like i am starving the morning after a workout

i will also look into creatine, after reading some of mastover's posts, i think it might help increase my strength gains (still not sure what dessicated liver is)

i have my multi-vitamins and might have to order fish oil from the states.

thanks for all of your info guys :)

g'night

8. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have heard people equate urine changing color when they take a multi-vit to them peeing out all the vitamins they they just took. I once heard this comparison:

Marijuana shows up in your urine too, but that doesn't mean it didn't have any effect when you took it into your body.

Not sure what exactly is true, nor how much of the mutli would get peed out unused.

Jaer
    would rather pee out extra then be deficient.

9. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

10. jmike

jmike Active Member

i have whey protein now

taking it as a 4th meal around 10pm --- 53g protein and 280 calories

11. jmike

jmike Active Member

i bought some super nos pump from body fortress

took one yesterday 3 hours before my workout

it immediately helped me with my soreness

recommended dose is 3 before and 3 after workouts

i took 2 before and 2 after -- took me a few more hours than usual for soreness to start setting in --- i feel less sore than i usually do

going to split it in to 3 doses of 2 instead of 2 doses of 3

will take a 2 pill dose after breakfast on workout days to help get rid of any leftover soreness --- then 2 pre-workout and 2 post workout

12. That_Muscle_Guy

Personally I try to go for around 1-1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. In my opinion I think that this is a well enough amount to keep steady muscle gain.