1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Summer bulk

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by johnyboy, May 27, 2007.

1. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

Hey,

Hopefully I can focus a bit better now that week is out the way. I think I was approaching a 100 hour work week there. I'm a little bit :sleep:

I guess yesterday (1st July) was the halfway mark already. I weighed in just short of 170 (169.8!) so that's about right. Today I've slacked to be honest, and skipped lunch while I chased a deadline. But hopefully, I should still hit maintenance level.

How did that weigh-in go for ya?

Eyelids are threatening to close on me now...

...relying on touch typing... just need to open them quickly to hit... submit.

2. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

Look at that, you answered my question minutes before I posted it. Great response time!

hmm, would be interesting to know what your morning weight is then. How many pounds does one store during the day? Sounds like good work anyway, unless you've been gorging on pizza and chips :D

I'm going to be below maintenance today by the look of it. But I'm too tired to eat any more after this bowl of oats. In fact, I'm a little worried I'm going to wake up tomorrow morning with my face in said bowl.

Time to turn off this computer.

Night.

3. johnyboy

johnyboy Well-Known Member

I've been using my girlfriends scales, and so only get to use them when I stay over there. She's lent her room out to a friend of her's from back home (she's Lithuanian) so I haven't had the chance to use them first thing in ages now.

He's moving on tomorrow, so I should be able to use them first thing in a couple of days.

I have to admit - I did have too much pizza on the weekend. We have a poker night at ours on the last friday of the month, so it doesn't make for a healthy time.

Glad to hear you're on track, but I might have beaten you to it already! I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing for now, as I'm not feeling fat, and would love to put some more muscle on my arms still.

My workout's currently all physio's exercises for my legs

Last bit of leg extension (to focus on Vastur medialis)
    hamstring curl
    calf raises
    adductor machine

Then standard stuff for my upper body:

dumbell bench press on swiss ball
    lat pull down
    shoulder raises
    bicep curls

4. johnyboy

So did a weigh in first thing after the morning pee at my girlfriends, and was quite surprised as I was at 162.5, which is only about 4lbs up on my starting point, when the other night I was at nearly 10lbs up.

Now I know you weigh more in the evening than the morning, but come on!!! What's going on there? I'll do another weigh-in in a few days, and report back then.

Anyway it's probably somewhere in between - we'll see.

5. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

:lol: Yeah, that is quite a difference. Keep eating, I guess.

I have to admit that I've been slacking a bit, and eating closer to maintenance than a bulking diet. So I'm still 169lbs. Yesterday I got back on track and today I'm on target so hopefully that's the end of that unplanned break.

This happens when I start getting up late, and my eating schedule gets thrown off. I end up trying to catch up all day and never quite make it. But in an effort to, I stay up late, which means I get up late the following day. It's a bit of a vicious circle and hard to break. But I really have no excuse not to follow my plan for the rest of today, so I should be back on track now.

Discipline really is my biggest enemy. But I'm slowly getting better.

6. Rita Ramanauskaite

Rita Ramanauskaite Active Member

So I've been at 163-164lbs for quite a while now. Only 12 days to go and I've got 2-3lbs to go.

Not sure what that freak weigh in was all about, I'm ignoring that as a mistake by the scales.

I reckon there's no reason why I can't do this - I just need to keep up doing the weights and eating properly and it should happen.

Hadn't realised it had been so long since I'd posted on here.

Good luck Reeze!

7. TheThirdMohican

TheThirdMohican Active Member

Hey you two, I am bulking this summer as well (see siggy)

Right now at 182 lbs, trying to get up to 185 at least and hopefully 190 lbs. According to my approximations I have a 11:3 lean mass to fat ratio so far although some of that mass is water.

8. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

John, did you have a sex change?!

I've been making slow progress this month which is totally my fault. I may purposely give myself a week of just maintaining next time I bulk so that I don't zone out completely with the discipline.

I'm currently at 171lbs which is not so good considering how much time we have left. But you never know when 3lbs can suddenly appear.

Medical Student, you seem to have similar stats to me. Although you have less body fat it looks like. And are closer to my goal weight! :doh:

9. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Good luck on bulkin' up, Reeze and John. Keep those calories coming!:eat:

10. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

Thank you! I'm eating right now.

11. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

Wow, two months gone already. I seem to remember planning this to be a two month challenge, but that doesn't appear to be stated in this thread so I'm just going to continue until I reach my goal.

The highest point I've reached is 172# which is a gain of 6#. I really should have done better than this, but a gain is a gain.

I've decided to keep going with this until I reach 175# -- just because it is a nice round figure. Then I'm going to maintain for one month which is when I will have my long awaited dairy free challenge. I really have no clue how to bulk without consuming some dairy, but maintaining should be fine.

12. johnyboy

yeah - we said 2 months. I had that one random blip where I seemed to be 10lbs up, but I've consistently been at about 5lbs up from where I started. So that's what really counts.

Guess if it's a competition then you won. I'm going to keep going till I'm at 12 stone. Then we'll see. That's probably my ideal weight.

13. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

We are all winners in this competition, Johnyboy!

14. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

I need to find a decent gym. I've been using a virgin active for the last few months as I know no better. However, it costs a fortune and they only have about 4 racks w/ barbells so you can find yourself waiting around for ages. I'd be interested in hearing about a more grassroots gym especially if near Islington/hackney way.

15. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hey Reeze & John, how's it going? Are you guys done with your bulks? I know I shouldn't ask that of you, Reeze, as it's a never-ending quest.:eat: As you know, the timing was wrong for me when you started this but now I am starting a bulk and a new challenge. Join us, if you like. Cheers.

16. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

Hi Carguy,

I couldn't resist taking up running again now Autumn is approaching, which isn't helping my bulk much! But I feel better for it. Health is probably only priority number 3 at the moment, as I have lots of work stuff to do over the next month AND an exam to revise for.

Still, I may come over to that other thread and join you. You seem to be doing a great job at leading the charge and I may well need that push.

17. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

That would be great if you could join us. I am bound and determined to help you get up to 185#. You deserve is after trying so hard.:tu: Good luck on your work and exam.

18. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

I'm there!