1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Summer bulk

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by johnyboy, May 27, 2007.

1. johnyboy

johnyboy Well-Known Member

Hi,

Reeze and I are starting a summer bulk challenge.

I know this doesn't fit with a lot of people's ideas on when bulks should be done, but this is when we're doing it.

I've recently fallen beneath my fighting weight (I occasionally compete in kickboxing competitions) and so need to add some weight back on.

The challenge is to add 8lbs as quickly as possible starting from June 1st. This is to give people (including myself) a couple of days to get themselves ready - meal plans written, food and supplements bought, weight training plan put together.

The rules really are simple - who can put on 8lbs the fastest. I have no interest in putting on lots of fat - and am assuming that no-one else does either - and we were thinking of making this 8lbs of muscle. However it's often hard to judge bodyfat accurately enough, so we're just going to assume that anyone who wants to take part is going to be keeping their bulk as clean as possible.

Just post if you want to take part. We'll be doing a weekly weigh-in, first thing in the morning preferably.

:gl:

2. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hey John and Reeze, just stopped in to wish you both luck. Like you said, you hit me at the wrong time of the year, otherwise I'd join you. Hope you're both hungry and up for the challenge.:eat::eat::eat:

3. johnyboy

Ok.

So I weighed in this morning at 158.4lbs, so my goal is 166.4lbs.

4. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

Argh! The kitchen cupboards are practically bare before I've started.

Anyway, weighed in at 166 this morning. So my goal will be 174.

I'm gonna shift up 100kcal to 3600 today. Will re-evaluate this on Tuesday morning to see if I need shift up again.

Good luck John.

Good luck me!

5. johnyboy

First day and I've eaten 3300 calories. I've found a new gym for weights (my kickboxing gym only has dumbells and a couple of benches). I'm doing my first proper weights session tomorrow.

6. johnyboy

Day 2 - weighed in at 159.8

Weights day today. I'm doing a full body HIT once a week.

I think I'll stick with 3300 for a few days and see how that goes.

7. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

Late last night I was still about 1000kcal behind schedule and ready to go to bed. I had to force myself to pour a large bowl of oats, and a glass of milk (my emergency food). I ended up at about 200kcal short of my goal, but it could have been much worse

The biggest consequence of this is that I had to stay up late to eat. Then I woke up late this morning. And so I've been behind all day with eating again. I can totally see how this could become a vicious cycle, so I'm going to make sure I catch up today AND get to bed by 11pm. I'm now 200kcal behind, so this is perfectly doable.

This morning I woke up at 167lbs.

Looks like we've both gained a pound on the first day. At this rate the challenge should last around a week!

hmm

8. johnyboy

At 161.4 this morning. 3lbs in 3 days!

Went punting in Cambridge yesterday, and spent the whole trip snacking, then went to a pub for some pimms and had a big doorstep sandwich. Everyone is finding my eating habits funny, even after knowing me all these years.

Managed 3200 calories next two days and did my first full-on weights session on Saturday. All good so far.

9. johnyboy

Good work on the late night eating mate. It's very easy to just fall asleep without eating at that point hey - but then that's two day's work down the drain.

10. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

Still having trouble getting those last few calories down before bedtime, so I'm going to rearrange my eating schedule a bit. Increase my calorie goal at breakfast and lunch, and lower it at bedtime. I really want to make sure I'm sleeping properly rather than staying up late to eat.

So yesterday I was up another pound, but today I'm back to 167. Which is fine as I'm still up a pound since Friday. Tomorrow, if I'm still 167lbs, I'll up calories to 3700. But if I'm 168, I'll keep it at 3600.

Yesterday I was shopping for some summer clothes. I stepped into the changing rooms to try on some t-shirts and as I lifted off my old gear I spied my back in the double mirrors. I never really look at my back on account of it always being behind me and I was rather surprised at the definition there. I'm hardly Rambo, but compared to my chest, it's pretty well developed. Anyway, that was kinda cool.

-- Good work on the 3lbs already.

11. johnyboy

Glad to hear your back is coming along nicely.

I had a bit of an issue yesterday - was at kickboxing and aggravated that old injury in my abductor muscle. Seeing the physio later this week so will check that I'm ok to do weights.

the 3lbs is a little interesting as I wasn't expecting to add that much that quickly. Don't know how much of that will be water or fat ???

12. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

Wrote a reply, hit preview, saw that all was good, closed browser!

I think I might be needing my bed.

So again, bad luck on your injury. Hopefully a few days rest will be enough.

I suspect a lot of the 3lbs is water; although I say that not knowing how your diet has changed. As long as it doesn't continue to rise so quickly for too much longer all is good.

I weighed in at 168 this morning, so my calorie goal doesn't change.

Okay, I'm going to eat now then sleep for many hours.

Just need to remember to click 'submit' this time...

13. johnyboy

D'oh. sleep good.

Went to physio last night and she gave me some very good advice about what weights I should be doing to stop injuries in future. I also got some full-on deep tissue massage on my right adductor muscle.

Weights session tomorrow, possibly found a new gym which is much better than the one I used last week.

Haven't checked my weight since last time, but my calories have been about right.

14. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

Cool. That's sounds kind of positive with the physio stuff. Especially if you stop future injuries.

My week has been a bit of a roller-coaster. I basically went from 166 up to 169 and this morning I was back to 166 again :(. Not really sure what's going on there since I've been eating a consistent 3600kcal.

What I'm going to do, is wait until Sunday and see where I am then. 168 is acceptable; anything lower means I'll be upping calories to 3700.

15. johnyboy

sounds like you've got a plan going on there.

I think second guessing yourself from day to day is daft, but making decisions at the end of a week, or when you see consistent change or lack thereof makes a lot of sense.

I've not been so consistent with my calories as I had a couple of days where I didn't count them during the day.

My weight's gone slightly back down to 161, which I'm happy with as it's still nearly 3lbs since I started.

Weights again today hopefully - need to join this new gym round the corner.

Physio was good, definitely focussing on not getting injuries is a good idea!

16. johnyboy

joined that new gym yesterday. All good, though I had to go through an induction with an eejit. He was very interested in telling me how many courses he'd been on and how much he knew, but less interested in listening to what I was saying about my goals and what worked for me.

Oh well, does no real harm.

I'm back to 159.6, so only 1.2 up overall. Calories had dropped a bit to 2800, have to do better at keeping track. Going to get some food now.

17. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

Hey dude,

At least you're experienced enough to know what you're doing at the gym so, yeah, no harm. I think you're doing better at me with the exercise. I'm slacking a bit with that so I need to make that part of a proper routine.

Yesterday I weighed in at 168 so I'm keeping my calories the same. That feels about the right pace.

The hours keep disappearing from today and I'm not getting anything done. It's probably because I'm tired. I think I was still awake at like 4am last night. I just couldn't shut down. Maybe I was busy digesting food!

18. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

Hmm, more time passed since I last posted than I thought.

I'm 169lbs this morning. A couple of times I've hit 170lbs so it's going pretty well.

How is it going for you?

19. johnyboy

I haven't weighed in in a while . . . but unless I'm kidding myself it seems to be going quite well.

I still hate counting calories, and am not doing that all the time, but I am eating lots, and doing weights regularly, and look bigger in the mirror. Is that wishful thinking? I should find out tomorrow morning when I'm going to weigh in.

170 would be about ideal for you - half way at the half way point. Great work!

20. johnyboy

Wasn't first thing in the morning - so doesn't count, but just weighed in at 167.4. Hell knows how that happened so quickly?