1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion on forum browsing

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gravityhomer, Oct 26, 2009.

1. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

John, I know there is lots of upgrading work being done. I'd like to throw something out there. Not sure if it is possible. When I view the forums through an RSS feed I see the thread title and I see the First several lines of the first post of the thread. I really like that as I'll find myself clicking on threads that I might have passed before just based on the title. The RSS feed has issues on my end, like it never updates, etc, but that's not the point here.

I'm wondering, is there a way to view the forum with the first couple lines in the first post of a thread visible as a preview, just below the title. This would be a feature that people could turn on or off. I know this info is loaded whenever a page loads anyway, as I can hover my mouse over a thread title and it will display the first couple lines of text as a long title (using firefox). The search feature also does this when you search by posts, it will show the thread title and the first few lines of the post.

Anyway, at least for me I think I would find more things I was interested in if something caught my eye in the first few lines. Thread titles are hard, people don't always get their point across.

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

GH,

I know that's not possible with the stock forum software and I'm not aware of anything like that as a hack (which is not to say that such an animal doesn't exist).

Anyway, a major new version of vB is on the horizon (version 4.0), and so I've put a freeze on any new hacks and/or modifications until after the new release (almost all old hacks and mods will need to be rewritten to work with version 4.0). Maybe you can remind me again later and I'll check into it for you.

3. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

cool, no prob. If it was easy that would be good, but don't want to add to your already full plate.