1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Sufficient lean mass for small cut?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by jetboater, Jul 24, 2012.

1. jetboater

jetboater Member

I've been running a slightly modded version of Starting Strength (dips added on 'A' day, with BB rows (instead of cleans) and pullups on 'B' day) for 8 weeks after having been off of it for 30 days. I've ran the program for some time, but only in the last 5-6 months have I been eating enough to allow the kind of growth SS should provide. I'm fairly skinny fat at the moment, and I'm torn between trying to cut to look a bit better or continue the bulk. It's hard to maintain any level of motivation when you have to look at a flabby mess in the mirror every day.

I am 19 years old, weigh 182 pounds, 5'11, and not sure on BF%.
    Lift PRs are:
    Deadlift: 285x3
    Squat: 255x4
    Bench: 160x4

I'm not trying to get super ripped, and I don't even expect abs at the moment, but I look pretty sad right now. Based on what lean mass I have, if I tried to cut, would I see any more definition? Or would I just look like a smaller version of what I am now?

I also found this: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=52050

I see he also started with poor body composition and from what I can tell, little lean mass. While he ended up small, he did an excellent job of cutting and maintaining what muscle he had. Did he have considerably more lean mass than me from what you guys can tell?

Thanks a bunch.

Attached Files:

#1 jetboater, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

You can definitely progress, but you don't pinpoint your goals. What do you want? More strength? Leaner look? More muscle? Have you been adding weight on a progressive basis with your exercises? What is your nutrition like? This is the main question. Too many questions that you have not addressed. However, if you have a solid training routine, like Starting Strength, then the nutrition is going to be the differentiator.

#2 mastover, Jul 25, 2012
  3. jetboater

jetboater Member

I should have been more specific. My long term goals are size and a lean physique. I've recently stalled on SS, and reset all lifts by about 20%. I have no issues with diet or training. I was simply in too big of a sarplus.

I'm sure you know that when somebody lacks lean mass to a certain degree, they don't really gain much definition when they cut. They are just smaller versions of their former skinnyfat selves.

Just wondering if I'd be wasting my time cutting given my current lean mass. The fat gets to me after a while.

So yes, while I'd like to be bigger, I'd rather not have to absolutely hate the way I look in the meantime.

#3 jetboater, Jul 25, 2012
  4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

There is no reason why you cannot continue getting stronger while cycling your calorie and protein intake.