1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Sturm und Drang

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Sturm, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Sturm

Sturm Well-Known Member

Well, Ive had enough.

Living/wworking abroad since October, falling to bouts of depression and binging, introduction of crap foods that id NEVER touch back home (introducing previously unknown cravings for the junk) has left Sturm a bit heavier and a bit slower of foot....

Returning to the states in ten weeks however, and back to the old standbys - nutritionally (good ole vegetarian faves regarding stores, products, etc.), physically (running trails, gym membership), and emotionally (friends, family, my guitar, HOME).

About a year ago, weighed in at 140 (5'8"), bf 4-6%, great strength to weight ration, and a running fiend, cruising 40-45 miles a week at 7 min/mile or less, generally 5-7 miles a session.

The initial goal: back to 145 and the reintroduction of the old ways before heading on that big ole jet airliner to the USA in exactly ten weeks. Itll require a fairly aggressive fat loss of 1.5 lbs a week (sitting at 158-160 as of now), but definitely in the range of possibility. The false starts and missteps of the past few months are over, hopefully by keeping a journal here itll keep me honest.

The beauty of having a fitday log stretching back to the time when I was in my best shape should help, basically, what was I doing then that had me lean and mean? Tons of fruit, veggies, whole grain cereals, breads, rice, beans, soy - avg. month looked to be 55/20/25 C/P/F, lots of fiber and no animal proteins (sometimes cheese but only on a pizza ;) , rarely eggs, lacto-ovo vegetarian).

Transformation begins!

2. nex

nex Well-Known Member

where ya at? for a minute i thought you were part of the military doin work in Iraq. Blah, anyway have a safe flight and I'm sure a bunch of us is lookin forward to your transformation! :tu:

3. Sturm

Sturm Well-Known Member

Greetings!

Currently working in France, where they put sugar in EVERYTHING! Twas never one to overindulge on the sweets before, moderation ya know, but since being here....

7 miles in the 20 degrees this morning at 6 am, decent start - the cardio aspect wont be a problem since i love to run, i do that all the time anyway. The trick will be just avoiding overeating, gonna start by eliminating sweets and ANY white flour in the situations i have control over: at the supermarket, in the home, when walking around, etc - the occasional piece of chocolate or red wine when out with friends will be tolerated, but thats it. Also need to find a decent lifting routine - generally i just pound out 3 sets of 8 for upper body exercises 2-3 times a week, always supersetting, and no isolation work - thus its incline/flat dumbell benching, various rows, shoulder presses, lat pull, dips and chins - abs thrown in some, and maybe legs once a week (they get alot of pounding from running 60-65 miles a week as it is).

4. Sturm

Sturm Well-Known Member

Well....no real nutrition eating schedules, etc, just entering whatever it happens to be that i eat into fitday, making sure that at the end output exceeds input. Since a persons diet and nutritional plan should suit their individual lifestyle, for me the mini-meal thing has never been appealing/optimal, so I just sortve go along aimlessly - might start being a bit more careful with planning though. Biggest problem is probably overtraining, thus making me overeat at times. Since starting this log on friday id averaged -900 cals per day for the past three days, today though its +500. Ah well, 3 steps forward, one step back. Still making sure that its all coming from clean foods however, and going to pay stricter attention to my moods, which tends to be the downfall leading to going overboard. Todays 500 over drops the avg deficit for fri-mon from -900 to -575, so still averaging a deficit after 4 days. A bit of diligence over the next few days is in order to avoid slipping back further, just gotta stay focused on the deficit: -800/day avg will take me to my goal in 2 months...keep the goal in sight.... :db:

5. Sturm

Sturm Well-Known Member

This site is great motivation...

Instead of sitting around feeling worthless for the rest of the night (or going to the fridge to eat more - strange I know, seeing as how thats what got me here to begin with), decided to grab some shorts and walk over to the gym, slammed through 45 minutes of chest/back/shoulder lifting before they closed - feeling better and ready to tackle the rest of the week! Even thinking about a quick 3-5 miles, but will probably save it for the morning around 5:30 am before work.

EDIT- well no evening run (already did 11.5 today anyway), and following a snack of some lentils after the workout im still in a surplus of 500 calories for the day, but feeling better having got in the lifting - since most of the excess calories came within the 6 hours after the 11.5 mile run, and the snack came after the lifting, hopefully the setback will be negligible...

#5 Sturm, Mar 7, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  6. Sturm

Sturm Well-Known Member

Oohh....howd i let it slip to the second page?

Was doing fairly well the past ten days, avoiding some of the overeating, and according to fitday was averaging about a 750/day calorie deficit the past ten days.

Until today. 1200 cals over burned for the day, not good, and a fair amt of it in the form of sweets - from a pure numbers standpoint, 1/3 of a pound on the plus side. Well just means its time to be extra-diligent this week to not setup a derailment of the goals....wont have a gym membership for the next two weeks either so its bodyweight exercises, luckily cardio equipment has never been an issue since running takes care of that aspect. Went over though for the second time since starting this log though, its no use wiping out the gains of 1.5 weeks for a few minutes of chocolatey pleasure :jumping:

7. Sturm

Sturm Well-Known Member

Anothet setback yesterday - nervous breakdown, issues unrelated to fitness goals, etc; ignoring water-weight ive put on almost a pound from a pure caloric standpoint these past two days. Was thinking of not even posting on my journal but hopefully itll hold me accountable...

No running this morning (woke up late, 3 hours sleep too), but a healthy breakfast and its off to face the workday - running this afternoon when I get off