1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid Push Ups.

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by spatzcat_11, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Ana Afonso

Ana Afonso Active Member

Hi there!

Sounds great! :)

Please tell me how it was!

2. spatzcat_11

spatzcat_11 Active Member

yesterday was the first day....LOL, was easy as sh1t, but, it escalates pretty quickly....I'll post my progress as we go....:tucool:

3. jmike

jmike Active Member

i can vouch for bench press helping out push ups

i was a sgt in the Army and i got put in charge of a female private that couldn't pass the push up part of her PT Test. this is a big deal, if you can't pass the PT Test you get kicked out.

i used the bench press as a method to improving her push ups. I had her benching just the bar for 2 weeks every other day coupled with situps and sprints.

after 2 weeks i added 5 pounds to each side -- she did this for 2 more weeks -- after that she passed with flying colors.

4. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

and also:-

When doing a pushup do not focus on the arms as being the mainstay of the lift.

Instead:- Keep your core straight inline with your body...do not let it sag.

AND......TENSE all your whole body and legs, especially the abdomen.

This does NOT mean don't breathe! It means making a conscious effort to stay rigid.

Believe it or not you will actually be stronger doing them this way than if you just concentrate on arms and let everything else relax.

Also....keep up the Planks and core work because having a strong core increases your strength in just about any exercise involving the whole body.

5. RaycaII

RaycaII Member

Why don't you try this: Put yourself in the startup pushup position (positive) (boy style) and hold it there for several seconds. See how long you can go. Don't try to go down at all, not at all. Get comfortable with that position first. I would try to hold that for 30 secs. - 1 min. Once you've mastered that, start with your chest on the floor and push up (negative). See how far you get. Stop way before you collapse. Get it where it's comfortable and you can hold, again, for 30 secs. - 1 mins. That might be almost all the way back to the starting position. That's OK. You are practicing the positive and the negative positions separately. This readies you (your brain and body) for the pushup itself. Of course, like OP have said, your form needs to be perfect. This is how I'm teaching myself the pullup and you'll be surprised how quickly you will build strength to do it. --Hope if helps. Ooops. Just realized how old this thread is. Hope you mastered it.

#25 RaycaII, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012