1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid Push Ups.

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by spatzcat_11, Sep 3, 2009.

1. spatzcat_11

spatzcat_11 Active Member

I've been doing weights for over 4 months...and STILL can not do a push up with out doing it 'girl style'. :mad:

Granted I've seen some improvements, when I started I could only do about 6, and only 1 set....

I can do 3 sets of 10 now, (hard to do though!) but still can't do 1 normal one.:bang:

what can I do to improve this?

2. Flex

Flex Well-Known Member

Do you bench press?

3. spatzcat_11

not anymore...i am doing the 6 months of routines from the book 'the new weightlifting for women'.... and they seem to be a anti bench press. I didn't really get that, but they claim i can lift like a man and look like a goddess, so I thought whatever then!:blank:

They had some long explanation about why push ups are preferred over bench press, but I am guessing by your question, that I should do some bench press and that will improve my push up ability?:confused:

4. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member
    Bronze Member

when you try to do one what happens?? :confused:

5. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Bench press (either barbell or with DB) could help your ability to do pushups, as they both hit similar muscle groups. Just make sure you use a weight that you find challenging.

You've already made significant improvements on your pushup ability ... Just keep working at it and you'll eventually be able to do full pushups. :tucool:

6. spatzcat_11

I can go up fine, that's easy, hahahha. But on the way down, I am just to weak to sustain it. I can get about 1/2 way down now, and then I give out and fall. I can't really pinpoint where I am weak, but I think my chest is weaker than my arms.

7. George

George Senior Member

The going up part should be the hard part, so this is a little unusual.
    Are you doing anything different when going down? Maybe flaring out your elbows or something?
    When you say that you're too weak to sustain it, what part of you fails?

8. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member
    Bronze Member

yeah.... definitely not typical.

i figured something was a bit fishy if she could handle 3 sets of 10 girlie style but not a single one normal style. some kind of form issue. especially being as she's so light.

:confused::confused::confused:

9. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

Naaaww.........

:)……….nothing amiss………just keep plugging along and (were I you) despite what the ‘book’ says I would incorporate bench presses………DB, BB what ever and like Joe suggested make it hurt (just a little)…Us long ‘stringy’ types have to be a bit more patient, (where ‘gains’ are concerned) than others sometime…………… :D Not to worry though, it happens..................:nod:

10. spatzcat_11

I am going to try one tonight, and try to see where exactly I am failing...I do flare a little on the elbows, I will update with a more accurate description, but from what I recall, it just feels like I am 10,000 pounds, arms, triceps, chest, all failing me to go down smoothly, but going up is easier, can feel it, I need to push, but I can do it.

Is flaring your elbows bad?

I'm pretty special. :)

11. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member
    Bronze Member

:D :tucool::tucool:

12. vertigo88

vertigo88 Active Member

How far apart are you hands in relation to your shoulders? Wider apart should in theory be easier.

13. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I was going to suggest negatives (working on lowering rather than focusing on pushing up) but now I'm also confused. As Guava pointed out, it's usually easier to have gravity on your side.

You could also try incline pushups to make it easier at this point. One other thing to remember is that in a regular pushup, the whole body should be moving as a straight line... ideally your nose, chest, and hips will all hit the ground (or close to it) at the same time, and stay "locked in" on the way up. If you are weak in the lower back and abs, try doing planks to work on maintaining that form.

14. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Check core strength. How long can she hold a planche?

15. spatzcat_11

HA-HA!!! i did 3!!! booya! i did it!

I just started to doing planks and prone cobra about 3 weeks ago, and I think that some of these things are paying off, i can hold a plank for 90 seconds, when I started it was hard to hold for 30....

so, i am knowing now that this will improve over time, and it won't be long before I can do a set of 10.

$%#@%#$ ya!:flex:

16. eccent

eccent Active Member

I'm having the same problem! And I do have weak "core" so I guess I gotta strengthen it up too.

Just wondering how often must I do the prank pose to improve my core?

17. Fitness Crush

Fitness Crush Active Member

Push ups use more than just your pectoral muscles and they can be challenging for us girls.

Try this: start out in the up position, elbows locked and legs straight. DO NOT go all the way down...start out by going only half way and then back up. Aim for two to three sets of 8. When you can do these easily, go 1/4 of the way further (down) and again aim for two to three sets of eight.

When that comes easily, you should be able to go all the way down and back up and work your way up to three sets of eight "real" push ups. After that, for more of a challenge, start doing them on your knuckles. This was how we did them in Tae Kwon Do and I worked up to nearly 75 on my knuckles...the last 20 or so were laughable I'm sure, but I was still moving. (^_^)

18. eccent

eccent Active Member

Thank you Fitness Crush for your advice.

I just tried "push up" with my legs on the sofa and I can actually perform the up and down movements. However once my whole body is stretch out on the floor, I'm again having the difficulty in getting down, seems like my elbows are not obeying (they want to stay locked).

I'll just keep on trying until I get it right then. Practise and patience are da key.

19. Ana Afonso

Ana Afonso Active Member

Hi! My name is Ana and i am a fitness instructor.

Indeed practice and patience are the main key to physical improvement.

Be sure to have your arms wide and spread the weight of your body on the palm of your hands; sometimes what can make it difficult is that the shoulders start hurting because the weight is badly spread on the hands. And keep those abs tight and you back flat.

Also as you were used to make the pushups with the knees on the floor it is normal that your body takes time to adapt to a more intense form of executing them. You know it happened to me too, and the secret is doing it over and over again until your body adapts and gains resistance.

Just be patience and keep challenging yourself.

:gl:

20. spatzcat_11

my husband actually has us on the 100 push up challenge...starting tonight....we are just getting back on track from our summer festival of fatty laziness....

http://hundredpushups.com/