1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck on Motivation Side of Things

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by FreeYouNow, May 29, 2016.

1. FreeYouNow

FreeYouNow New Member

Hello everyone, I've been following John's journey for years and years, and I've gone through a few fat loss challenges with a friend of mine, losing 20-40 lbs of fat each time, as well as starting a bunch of strength training programs over the years and have gotten some pretty good results.

About 10 years ago after being frustrated with so much conflicting info about nutrition, I took some courses for 2 years and got a diploma in advanced nutrition, vegetarian nutrition and sports nutrition. I used that info during my weight loss challenges to lose weight fairly easily when I was in "ON" mode.

My challenge, however, has always been related more to motivation, long term, to firstly not allow myself to get fat (like I am now) and secondly to also build muscle.

When I see people having body transformations and staying fit long-term I observe that a lot of times there's an external motivator that keeps them going, such as for example for a lot of people who are single, they work out and get fit in order to look good for the other sex and to find a girlfriend / boyfriend etc., or for example for Hollywood actor's they get paid millions of dollars to get in the best shape of their lives, or for example when you have a personal trainer being fit, they are fit because it is their job and their livelihood depends on their body being fit.

Even certain jobs like construction or being a cop or a fireman, or a martial arts instructor or things like that benefit from a fit body, so there's some motivation that can be derived from that.

On the opposite side of that spectrum I also observe people making the decision to get fit/healthy after a negative motivator enters their life such as they find out they have some sort of disease or condition or some sort of health crisis that makes them decide to change things.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to find motivation more internally, when you don't have these "external" motivators, because for me I don't have a job that requires me to be fit... I can do my job just as efficiently whether I'm fit or not.... I don't have any major health issues that would light a fire under my butt to make a major shift... and I'm happily married for almost 20 years so there's no motivation for me to get fit to find a girlfriend etc.

I've tried many times to take that attitude of "JUST DO IT", and to not overthink it, and to just start working out etc., and it works short term, but because it seems I haven't really connected to my deeper internal WHY, I find it so hard to keep going.

One of the reasons I've always been drawn to JSF is because to me it just seemed like John just like decided BOOM I'm going to get fit, and he did it. From what I can tell, he didn't do it because he had to for any specific major health reasons, nor did he do it to get a gf, or because his job required it, etc.

Even his journey to bike, it seems follows the same mindset. Somehow he is able to work out and/or bike every day, even when he gets hit by a truck! and he keeps going.

I know others have been able to do this as well, but I have yet to figure out how to tap into this motivation or to figure out what my "WHY" is or how to even do that.

In other areas of my life I have no issues with figuring out my WHY or how to set goals and achieve them, but for fitness/health, it's like I can't seem to figure it out.

Can anyone relate?

Has anyone had a similar issue and figure it out?

Would love to hear your feedback.

- Paul

2. FreeYouNow

FreeYouNow New Member

So I've been trying to figure out this "How the heck do you guys stay constantly MOTIVATED, long term?" and as simple as the question might seem, after talking to a bunch of friends and people I know who have continued to work out long-term, NONE of them seem to know the answer to that question. LOL.

Today I was talking to a new coach I started working with, and she pointed me to the work of a behavior scientist from Stanford who has an awesome lecture on motivation as it relates to health and fitness:

What he says now totally makes sense to me as to why nobody could answer the question I was asking, because I was looking at it the wrong way.

The "solution" is not to try to figure out how to always be motivated, but rather to create a system which already assumes that some days or weeks or even months you'll be HIGHLY motivated, and some days/weeks/months you'll NOT be highly motivated, and have a plan that takes that into account and helps you to get the most benefit from your program based on whatever that level of motivation is.

In hind-sight, all my former fitness programs I designed for myself only worked when I was in a high-motivation mode, but when my motivation levels dropped, so did my activity.

Now I know where to focus next. :)

-Paul

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Hey Paul, welcome! My apologies for not responding. I've been super busy the past few weeks. I have some thoughts on your situation, but I've not had time to type them out. Sorry about that. I hope things ease up for me a little within the next week or so, and I promise to return to this thread and give you my thoughts (for whatever they are worth) as soon as I can. :-)

4. FreeYouNow

FreeYouNow New Member

Awesome. Thanks John. :)

-Paul