1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Stretching

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by hwahll, Feb 18, 2004.

1. hwahll

hwahll Well-Known Member

Hi.
    Im doing the Max-OT program, and I was wondering if stretching influence my result? If so, in what way? Are there visual differences?

Thanks.

2. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

stretching gets the muscle ready to work. The main benefits are -

you don't get injured by killing a cold muscle
    you can lift more on a warmed up muscle, giving a better workout
    you are more likely to be sore and/or stiff the next day if you don't warm up properly

It's best to do some mild cardio for a few mins to bring your body temp up, then stretch your specific muscles after, then do your work out.

3. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Yeah, stretching and flexibility are really important. I used to be really inflexible and I'd get injured all the time. Then I did Yoga and flexibility training every morning and now I never get injured. I feel so much better for it too. That extra Range Of Motion really makes a difference.

Marcus :tucool:

4. Ludvig78

Ludvig78 Well-Known Member

More benefits.

There are more benefits then just the flexibility. I saw a study in a fitness paper the other day. They came to the conclusion that a well streched muscle is not only more flexible but also stronger up to 30%. So basically streching will also make you stronger. There is also a visual benefit. I well stretched muscle looks better. It has better structure. It also gives itself space to grow bigger and faster due the the fact that it gets more space when it's well streched....

5. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Can you explain this for me? I'm not sure what you mean. :confused:

Thanks

6. Ludvig78

Hi!

It's kinda hard to explain. The thing is that a longer more strech muscle is more flexibel and not so compressed with gives it more freedom to grow bigger and get stronger then a short one. Understand what I mean?

7. dingo

dingo Well-Known Member

that damned research

Actually, these two notions have been heavily disputed over the last years by scientists and researchers. Do a quick Google and you'll find plenty of reports concluding that the impact of stretching on injury and soreness prevention is minimal or even zero... Here's one

I still do it though, between and after sets, as it helps flexibility and movement (= better performance).

8. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Do you mean that the increased Range Of Motion a flexible muscle has when performing exercises leads to better gains? :confused:

Is there any sources or references you can point me to?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be picky, I just like to ensure that I learn to understand something that exceeds my knowledge.

9. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

Yeah i've read those reports. They're full of shit :D

As someone who, when competing for his athletics club, would often do 4-6 events a day in a 8 hour time period i can 100% guarentee you if you don't warm up properly, you will get pulls, strains, soreness the next day and injuries. Now i agree the old idea of stretching for ages before you do anything is bad and if you thoroughly warm up with exercises you can fully stretch and warm your muscles up with out actually doing isolated static stretches, but to say you shouldn't do it at all is dangerous.

10. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

There's a section on this in the MAX-OT document. In short, greater range = more muscle fibres stimulated = better gains.

11. dingo

dingo Well-Known Member

Yup, I don't think we disagree here-- I think the main points are that stretching prevents future injury and soreness cannot be proven, but just empirically assumed.

12. Ludvig78

Thanks for helping me out Jingo. There are alot of factors involved in muscle growth. Like better bloodflow, range of motion, etc.