1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

stretching legs/back between deadlift sets

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by luka5, Jan 29, 2012.

1. luka5

luka5 Member

stretching legs/lower back between deadlift sets? do you think it is a good idea? can it be harmful?

2. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I would not do it between sets......I would consider that to be harmful.

I would thoroughly warmup before Deadlifting.......and stretch after.

Stretching is a paradox for weightlifting.

You need the flexibility and after-stretch for relieving muscle "tightness" and making sure that antagonists are "balanced".

But the act of stretching itself de-stabilizes support tissue.

When you lift you want as stabilized support tissue as you can get.

So don't stretch between sets and no pre-stretching before lifting.

Warming up thoroughly is important though.

3. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

I roll my back between sets, and my hip flexors. I will do a hamstring stretch (forward, from the hips not the back) as well. Personally, I haven'f found it to be harmful in any way. I have a tricky back (minor scoliosis, very tight flexors and psoas, frequent minor lower back pain) and I find it quite helpful. My warmup includes both dynamic work and static stretching.

My personal opinion (from almost 14 years of having a tricky back) is that absolutely no one has the exact same back problems: what works for me may not work for you, and may even exacerbate your pain/tightness/etc. Find what works for you, and stick with it.

4. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

Frank Zane always advocated stretching between sets.

5. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Firstly, you shouldn't stretch your lower back at all. Period. It's like picking a scab - it might feel good at the time but all you're doing is causing problems for later down the line. If your back is sore then you'll need to address the root cause. Perhaps it's tight hip flexors, lack or thoracic spine mobility, both, or something else - that's not for me to say!

Secondly, whether you stretch between sets should depend on your goals. Static stretching has been shown to decrease power output and so you should not stretch your prime movers before or during movements. For example, don't stretch your hamstrings before or between sets of deadlifts. If you are not so concerned with strength, then I don't think there is any problem with stretching between sets if you want to; just don't stretch your lower back!