1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Stretch Marks

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by jumpy, Feb 25, 2004.

1. jumpy

jumpy Well-Known Member

Now, I know I am not the only one that has this problem,
    When I originally gained weight, I gained it fast. 175lbs to 210lbs in about 6 months. And since 60% of that weight was centred around my belly area.
    Now that I am starting to lose the weight the marks are becoming quite obvious. Will these fade? has anyone else had these?
    Because When I eventually get the abs I am looking for I dont want these marring them. :o

2. BiT

BiT Well-Known Member

Sorry jumpy, but I think with stretch marks you'll have them for life. They might "fade" a but with time (Instead of being red, they will be skin color), but you're stuck with them for life I think.

3. jumpy

jumpy Well-Known Member

Gah, Im only 25, life is a rather long time. Might see if there is a surgery "cheating" way of getting rid of em.

4. Allen

Allen Well-Known Member

Your best bet will be Vitamin E lotion with some aloe vera. It won't get rid of them but should help reduce them. Only really helps when they are still red though.

5. Allen

Allen Well-Known Member

Here's some information I stole from a different message board:

When you gain weight/size very quickly, you can get stretch marks. As your skin is over-stretched, the connective fibers can break, and this creates lines on the skin. These lines usually start out pink or reddish and fade over time. Old stretch marks may become silvery or turn a color a few shades lighter than your natural skin tone.

Whether or not you get stretch marks is determined mostly by heredity, and getting rid of them isn't easy. In fact, experts aren't even sure it's completely possible. The first thing to know is that no over-the-counter cream or lotion can remove those lines. Stretch marks occur in the middle layer of the skin, called the dermis, and common creams can't reach that far deep.

Vitamin E and cocoa butter treatments can make your skin feel soft and supple, but they won't make your skin mark-free. You'll need to talk to a doctor, dermatologist, or plastic surgeon if you want to seriously reduce the lines.

Prescription creams containing Tretinoin, also called Retin-A, may help reduce the appearance of fresh stretch marks. This type of treatment will not eliminate stretch marks completely, and it won't work on older marks that have already faded from red.

A French treatment called Endermologie claims to reduce scarring. A machine with rollers and gentle suction is used to massage and exfoliate the affected area. Again, this won't remove stretch marks, but it may enhance the overall appearance of the skin.

Laser surgery is sometimes used to lessen the severity of stretch marks, but the results are mixed. Microdermabrasion has been somewhat more successful in changing the appearance of stretch marks. Both treatments are expensive and should only be performed by qualified doctors.

I can't verify the information but from what I've read on it, it does look accurate.

6. d_samuylin

d_samuylin Well-Known Member

You are absouletly right. There is no way to get rid of them. Although I saw it on TV about two months ago that there is a new laser treatment for stretch marks. But it is not FDA approved yet in the USA. ANd there is a very high risk of getting a skin cancer.
    I lost 120 lbs and aksed the sam questions about 3 weeks ago. It seems like it will be permanent reminder of how fat you were and not to get fat again. :(

7. billy_everette

billy_everette Well-Known Member

In the past 6 years, I gained around 80 lbs. I started to get serious with my health on Oct. 6, 2003. I knew that the stretch marks on my stomach would be a problem when I lost the weight that I wanted. Every day, I took a shower and immediately after the shower, I would put some Vitamin E lotion around my mid-section. Since Oct. 6, I lost 73 lbs. and I can barely see the stretch marks. I am white as a ghost with my shirt off, so when summer rolls around, a tan should hide my marks even more.

Dry skin is never a good thing for marks on your body. Lather up! :D

8. soltrain

soltrain Well-Known Member

Well there are two more alternatives -

Be patient - they will get better over time and they are battle scars as a reminder of your acomplishments or...

plastic surgery..its very painful ..called a stomach tuck there they cut the bottom layer of your stomach and pull the top layer down. Very painful I hear and a very complicated surgery. I dont think I would ever do that.

#8 soltrain, Feb 25, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  9. d_samuylin

d_samuylin Well-Known Member

You are getting stretch marks when you gain or lose a lot of weight in a short period of time. You said you gained 80 lbs in 6 years. Well, I gained 70 lbs in about 1 year. And it took me 2 years to lose 120 lbs. There is a difference. When you gradually gain and gradually losing, you will probably have no or little stretch marks.

10. medsean

medsean Well-Known Member

when i put a lot of weight on quickly i got stretch marks under my arms, over about a 2 year period they changed from red to skin colour and are hardly noticeable now unless you really stare long and hard.

11. Phoenix85

Phoenix85 Well-Known Member

yea, i have like 3 minor red lines on each side of my middle.

they're hardly noticeable, and seem to be fading. I had the same thing on my biceps. They used to be purply red, now theyre just slightly lighter than my skin color.

it sucks, but really, i dont care all that much. plus, its kinda like a battle scar to remind you of what you used to be :tu:

12. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Preventing stretch marks

I have a question about stretch marks, just a different twist than you guys. I've just started working out in the past week, and I'm fairly thin. My twin brother got stretch marks on his shoulder where the pecs join the armpit after he started working out. I want to avoid the same thing happening to me. One difference is I'm doing cardio every day, whereas he only did lifting. Hopefully this might prevent me from getting too much muscle mass too quickly.

Anyway, is there any kind of lotion or cream that I can use, knowing that I'm probably predisposed to getting the marks as well?