1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Strength or Looks?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Bsheller, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

I'm just interested in the different philosophies hanging around the site. Do you lift to get stronger or do you lift to look good?

2. mcp2

mcp2 Active Member

I'm currently doing it for looks, but I guess when I get to where I want to like, I will do it for strength.

3. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Strength only. As long as my bf is in the healthy range (less than 15%), then I'm happy.....don't care if I ever see my abs.

4. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Both.

At 5'6" and extremely ectomorphic, I can't expect to move mountains. But... I do enjoy having the ability to lift more than the average person might believe me capable. Beyond that, I do this to look good naked. I just can't see the point in working as hard as we do to eat right, lift and do cardio - but remain less-than-aesthetically pleasing.

I strongly believe that aesthetics should always be considered given that most of the people who arrive on these forums come here specifically because they're living inside fat bodies that embarrass them.

'Course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

-R

5. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

All for looks baby. All for looks.

6. JoeSchmo

This sounds like you are trying to tell other people what their goals should be. If one is within a healthy bodyfat range, and is interested primarily in athletic performance, than I don't see how one can argue that aesthetic considerations are a necessity. If that is what your goal is, then that is great -- But beyond health, no particular goal is an absolute necessity -- it is purely a matter of preference.

7. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

That's true, and it's also sad. Most of them should be more embarassed by what they lift than how they look.

8. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

I have goals surrounding both, although my strength training is normally centered more towards strength. I figure that if I get my diet where I know it should be and train hard for strength, the looks will fall into place.

9. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

What about health? I originally got back into lifting a few years ago for health reasons to recover from a medical problem. I enjoy being stronger (and that's healthy, too), and I want to look halfway decent, but walking upright and rebuilding energy/work capacity was the prime goal for me initially.

10. Apolon

Apolon Well-Known Member

Health for me.

11. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

Agreed... I feel that the best measure of success are your numbers in the core lifts. I also agree with the BF comment, as long as its lower than 15% then there is nothing unhealthy there. I feel like its safe to say that no matter what reason you have for being in the gym, when you see a guy benching 400 lbs you have a little voice telling you how cool it would be to be able to do that.

12. fishtanker

fishtanker Active Member

I'm in it for health, strength and fitness, the aesthetics just come as a result of it. Getting to a sub %10 BF level isn't going to help me with the 1st three.

13. George

George Senior Member

I have long term goals with both.

Like those old timey powerlifters that looked good:

[​IMG]

Or those old timey bodybuilders that were stupid strong:

[​IMG]

14. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Health.

OTOH health leads me to be thinner then before and to work out more then before so stronger.

I'm no longer trying to get any thinner and to be honest I'm happy with my strength. But the end result of working out to stay healthy is me staying thin and being stronger then otherwise.

15. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

Lots of reasons. The first reason, the reason I why started, was because I was tired of being a skinny little bastard. So looks was the first reason, and still is to a certain extent. As I started lifting and realize how pathetically fucking weak I am even after a year and a half, strength has now become a goal as well. Through it all though, is health, which does sort of tie in to the first reason of being way too underweight. Eating right and working out leads to better health and I don't think anybody wants to not be healthy. Live long and prosper, you know?

16. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

I suppose since I'm young and have another 15 years at least of getting stronger and after 6 months of lifting hard 4 days a week I'm almost up to 1,500 lbs of total weight in 4 lifts; I feel like my main goal is certainly strength... As I get older I can totally see a transition from a barbell to a treadmill but for now there is a lot of potential to get massively strong in the years to come.

17. erik.whitman

erik.whitman Active Member

At first Health & Looks. Now that I have kinda achied my desired appearance. Health, Strength, & then (maintaining) Looks.

18. JoeSchmo

You can make strength gains for a long time. I'm 36, and I plan to continue pushing to get stronger for as long as I'm breathing. Zen is 49, started deadlifting just a few years ago (correct me if I'm wrong Zen), and now he's pulling over 500 lbs. He's squatting some pretty good numbers too....so, definitely no need to make the transition from BB to treadmill when you get older. :cool:

19. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

Yeah, 15 years might have been an extremely low estimate on that... I'll only be 36 at that point. One thing I'm really looking forward to is never getting out of lifting from this point on, I, really interested to see what this will do for me as the years go on. Also, I was checking out some of Zen's videos on youtube and I just wanna say, very nice!

#19 Bsheller, Apr 21, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  20. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Why should anyone feel embarrassed by what they can lift if they are lifting what they are able to lift at that time? I am sure you don't go around telling people what you lift? Bragging about it? Chance put you together so you and your brother both are able to lift heavy weights for high reps.

I can see you should be proud of your abilities but to be embarrassed if you weren't able to demonstrate strength, I don't see it. I stopped competing in sports years ago, I didn't feel the need to.

I go for looks, because when I have the looks. I will have bettered my health and strength as a results of measures required to gain the looks.