1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Strength or Aesthetics?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by M@, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

If you're world's-strongest-man strong, it's going to take a person a lot of skill to take you, but I agree that by itself it's a pretty weak approach. Undoubtedly if a person was actually interested in self-defense and could pick either weights or mixed martial arts training, they'd be better to take the MMA.

I'm 28 and have never been in a fight or even been close to being in one. It may be the company I keep or the decisions I make but working out or training in combat should be done really for itself, not for some notion that one day "you'll really need it", because chances are if you're intersted in avoiding a fight, you will.

Now, looking strong may prevent somebody from picking on you but regardless of your bench, a good solid punch from most people to the eye will take the fight out of just about anybody. As with anything in life, to be good at something you have to do it. Lifting weights is no more to fighting than gardening is to auto racing, though it will help you if you know how to fight, but is of secondary importance to skill.

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I can most relate to JoeSchmo's points here.

Boosting self-esteem is one of the main reason that I work out, but lifting heavier, running faster, and stretching further boosts my self esteem more than looking good on the beach does.

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Longevity, strength, and health first and foremost.
    Competitive bodybuilding, strictly as a hobby.

When people discover that I am a Pro (natural) bodybuilder, I get a vast array of comments, reactions, and generalizations. I don't like drawing attention to myself, so I don't look like one in street clothes (especially since I like to wear baggy clothes 2 sizes larger) Heck, I don't even own a tank top or a muscle shirt :cool: .

"Oh he's so vain, narcicistic, self serving, greedy, selfish, uncaring," etc., etc., Or my favorite, "He's a bodybuilder?? :confused: No way!:nope: "

Back when I was doing every recreational drug that was out there, and drinking boatloads of alcohol simultaneously.... I was all those things described above. The stuff I put my family through, up until the age of 25, is too painful for me to think about. Much less talk about.

Today, my priorities and perspectives have changed. If an individual lets him or herself go to pot due to self neglect, poor choices, not exercising, eating all kinds of crap everyday, until this self neglect puts them in hospitals and prescription meds for the rest of their lives, they in essence, are the irresponsible, self-serving, greedy, uncaring, person that I described above, because now it will be their family who suffers. The very people who love you the most will bear the pain of your self neglect.

The last thing I want is for my kid to wheel me into the bathroom to take a crap, due to my self-centered irresponsibilities, while making no efforts to recognize what I was doing to myself and to the people who love me.

Other then that... I like receiving compliments from the hot 40 year old divorcees at my gym. :tucool:

4. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

I like ALL of what you said and can relate to much to it. (except fpr the tank top part :D) ;)

5. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think a person should strive to improve himself in whichever way he feels lacking. I don't think it's for anyone else to judge.

6. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

:) Interesting thread, I’ve enjoyed reading the various posts. For my part it was/is primarily personal pride or aesthetics if you will with an eye to continued self sufficiency. Oh yes and I own a few ‘cami’s’ and enjoy wearing them! :nod:

7. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

It is embarassing to me as a man to admit aesthetics even plays a part. I would normally say I'm only interested in strength, but I was struggling to be honest when I said 20% aesthetics. I probably would never admit it in real life. :o

I salute the guys who can admit they care about the way they look. :tucool:

8. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Those Cirque du Soleil guys are pretty damn strong if you ask me.

===================================================
    I'm in a contest/race with myself and no one else. It's how I usually approach things (fairly self-motivated I guess). It really baffles people sometimes when they ask me what I'm training for...I say nothing. It seems that alot of people I know feel that unless you're "entering something" it's not worth the time. Personally I don't see it that way. I don't need recognition.

Strength or Aesthetics? Probably aesthetics.

I got the girl already, and I don't really give a crap how strong I am (compared to someone else). I just use lift improvements as a measurement of progression (if I'm not progressing, something requires a change). I prefer a balanced physique and not just mass or strength for the sake of mass and strength. I don't bother with measurements because it's all reflected in the mirror, the size of the muscle is meaningless unless it's relative to the rest of the frame. So I guess I approach it with more of an sculpting attitude. If that's aesthetics, then, so be it, I guess.

There's no one right answer to this, never will be.

#88 Gordo, Mar 13, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  9. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm going to mention some stuff here which aren't goals of mine, but since I've noticed them, I think some other people here will agree.

My progress has made a big impression on my wife, and other family members. Some of them are getting back to exercise because of it. With any luck, I'll keep this going long enough for my son to learn what I have learned.

So there is more value in fitness than just your own fitness.

10. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

And a lot of those Cirque du Soleil guys are using anabolics, too.

11. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I've also heard this.

The argument for their use is that it's almost impossible for them to maintain their muscular size, low BF%, and strength on their extremely demanding training schedule without them.

If so, it should be kept in mind these guys were already amazing athletes before they needed that edge. They aren't great athletes because of anabolics; they're STILL great athletes because of them.

#91 chicanerous, Mar 13, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  12. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

And what do you base this on?

13. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

I also train so I can open jars. Happened to me today.

14. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Travis, i REAL man would admit whatever he believes in. :nono: :spank:

Think about it....:whistle:

15. mrpilotguy

mrpilotguy Well-Known Member

Sounds like a decree of the "never be concerned with your appearance, never admit a man is good-looking, etc." School of Repressed Homosexuality and/or Homophobia.

16. johnyboy

johnyboy Well-Known Member

17. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Don't go making this all serious guys it was a total joke :lol:

18. johnyboy

johnyboy Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol:

Ohhhh, those crazy monty snakey fellows.

19. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

I DID admit it dammit! :lol:

20. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Literally laughed out laugh that time :lol:

Go one:D