1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Strength or Aesthetics?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by M@, Mar 9, 2006.

1. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

I think that there has been a bit of a misunderstanding here.

1. I never said that I approve of fighting.
    2. I didn't state that I actively seek to fight, get into fights, or have been beaten/beat others.

In my own defense, I have never been in a serious fight. I have been in altercations and have interceeded in other fights where being strong has helped to stop the fight from escalating into something deadly. I would prefer to be stronger, than to be well-defined, buffer, but weaker. I am aware that the difference in strength is not as large as some may make it out to be. This is the point I had been trying to make, and I now see that it could have been taken differently.

For the record, I do not profess that I "know" how to fight, nor do I care to become familiar with it. I am very level headed and stable.
    I also come from rural Canada, where people don't shoot each other because they're mad. We don't have handguns in any number. People get pissed off, and they fistcuff. There are some instances of murder by handguns, but is almost always restricted to inter-gang violence.

I am in school, and no, I don't do drugs. But thanks for the sound advice. :)

I have moved bales of hay and pounded fence posts, torn up concrete driveways with a pickaxe and chopped down trees. I don't claim that I'm the world's strongest man. All I am trying to convey is that I prefer to train so that I can do things that are difficult outside the gym. Being stronger from weightlifting has helped me achieve the above activities quicker, more easily and with less muscle soreness than those who participated in the activities with me. This is the all-around performance that I seek.

I did not intend to make myself out into some bad-ass streetfighter, carving a name for myself out of the flesh of those who I dispatch. In fact, I know very little of the topic aside from what I mentioned above. My question of having been in a fight was just that - A question. I should have phrased it as: "Does strength training help in a fight?".

2. jwdiho

jwdiho Well-Known Member

Did you see the video of tank abbot benching 600#. That's mean strong. But, he also had his block knocked off several times in the ring.

On the other hand, did you see Goldberg just manhandle the Joes on Pro's vs Joe's last night? I guess it all depends on size and speed. Don't pick fights with someone that's too much bigger than you unless they're drunk. :)

3. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

I've got a better idea. Don't pick fights, period.:nod:

4. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

and had buttered scones with tea.

5. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yup. Strength gains are what motivate me. To reverse your question -- If I knew that I would make size gains but no strength gains, would I continue to lift? Nope. I like putting on more muscle, but in the end, getting bigger is not what gets me in the gym, it is the strength gains that get me in there.

People lift for different reasons -- not all of us are doing it for the girls :nope:

True, but Tank's strength is what has garnered him all of his success. Let's face it, without Tank's freakish strength, he'd be just another fat guy with a bad attitude.

I think some people are getting lost in the specifics of betastas overall point -- forget about fighting ... strength is by definition functional, and that is what I like about it .... Simply knowing that I have a surplus of strength that is there when I need it is very motivating for me...everything else is just window dressing, which is why looks alone would never be enough to get me into the gym.

6. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

Never got to work as a farm kid I take it.

7. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Joe, what I'M saying is one goes hand in hand with the other. Although I train (at this stage in my life) for aesthetics, strength comes along with it. It's the best of both worlds.:tucool:

8. JoeSchmo

Yeah, that is certainly true. Even if you and I are motivated by different things, ultimately, we'll both look better, feel better, end up stronger, and improve ourselves by training. I think what we all have in common is that regardless of our goals, we are striving to improve ourselves and progress in our chosen domain -- which in my opinion, is always a worthy goal. :tucool:

9. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

I couldn't have said it better.:tucool:

10. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

No. Definitely not aesthetics. And not strength per se, although strength results from the training.

My goals are:

1. Get a high VO2max.
    2. Squat 60 @ 225#

I have a bunch of other benefits I expect, but if I do these two things, I'll be doing pretty well.

11. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

If you train for strength you can't HELP but look good, providing you don't allow your bodyfat to escalate too much.

12. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Yup. Good points.

13. The Abdominal Snowman

The Abdominal Snowman Well-Known Member

I always knew I had to train my muscles to reduce lower back pain, but I could never stick to exercise until I figured I wanted the aesthetics that come with it. Now that I'm no longer a stick man, I have both aesthetic and strength-related goals. Once I reach both I'll stick to my looks and improve on my strength (I don't think I could motivate myself to train for the same thing day in day out). I hope to reach them within a year from now, but wouldn't mind if it takes longer than that. :tu:

14. widthofacircle

widthofacircle Well-Known Member

Meh, Im another 'both + health' person.

Im trying out a new routine now thats more 'powerlifting-esque' (hopefully Ill post before/after pics soon) and my legs look better than they ever have.

hehehehe Yeah! Some of us are doing it for the guys! Romanian deadlifts seem to be a great way to meet guys.... :confused:

15. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Strength alone won't win you a fight. As demonstrated in the early days of the UFC when Royce Gracie demolished many an opponent bigger and stronger than himself.

In school I saw lots of big guys get the stuffing kicked out of them by wiry guys with more skill.

The average guy that goes to a nightclub and sees a huge bouncer will think " I don't think I can take him". And your probably right because he is bigger and stronger than you but also he usually has way more fight training than you.

If two guys are of equal height strength and weight, the guy with more skill will usually prevail.

If you are in the gym training to gain strength as "insurance" for the day someone confronts you, you are deluding yourself with a false sense of security.

I might argue that speed is better than strength. To a point.

16. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

I'm gonna try to explain this without raising more than a few eyebrows. As an active addict, I lost ALL sense of self esteem. I felt as if I was worthless and was VERY insecure with my appearance. It's just something that comes with addiction I guess. While in recovery, my self esteem began to resurface along with my feelings of self-worth. Regardless of what i've said in the past, although true, I train mostly to impress MYSELF. Of course I enjoy the looks I get from women AND men (strictly heterosexual) but let there be no mistake about it, I do this for ME, no one else. Please don't think i'm that shallow. It's just not the case.

17. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Ha! :nod: Good one.:lol:

18. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

It is for me! I'm that shallow. Sort of, anyhow. Or not. I don't know!

I'm here because when I went for a physical, my doctor said "Boy, I'm glad you're here." (as in - "wtf have you done to your body?")

But a very close second to that is that I don't want to be ashamed to take off my shirt, to wear clothes that are a bit tight, to look in the mirror.
    Aesthetics are a big part of it for me - possibly because I've never been in a position to be "proud" of my physique. I'd like that.

Last thing - mo' power on the golf course! Strength isn't everything, but it makes a difference, in that regard.

19. JoeSchmo

DD, if you look at the quote, you will see that I was addressing Heavymetal's point -- I was in no way directing that comment toward you. That said, beyond health reasons, I think many of us work out for self-esteem reasons as well (including me!). :nod:

I don't think most people wanting strength are doing so to win fights -- so I don't think this is really an issue.

20. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Gotcha brotha.:tucool: