1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Strength or Aesthetics?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by M@, Mar 9, 2006.

1. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm totally jumping the gun on this since I'm still cutting for body composition and a long way away from bulking but I was wondering:

Are you, a member of the JSF community, getting in shape for strength or aesthetics?

This is the first time I've ever thrown myself into a fitness program for a purpose other than competition (make the team, beat the record, get on the medal-stand, etc.). My fitness goals before have always had a competetive purpose and now my only interest is competing against the sloppy-assed person I've let myself become.

Seeing Chang's link to Milos Sarcev's video was a virtual pop in the forehead for me. All my life I've seen guys in the gym throwing up huge weight and have been in awe of their power, but they're almost never the guys whose physiques have blown me away. The latter guys have always been in there with focus, intensity, and lots of isolation with comparatively low weight.

The temptation to focus on an achievement-based goal is still huge in me but if it were down to a choice between, say, benching 300 lbs or having big, defined pecs, I think I'd definetly take the pecs.

Thoughts?

M@

2. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Strictly aesthetics here dude, although the strength that comes with training IS nice. At this stage in my life, I just wanna look good. Plain and simple.:D

3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Make no mistake. A professional like Milo won't be strong like a comparable powerlifter (by size) but his strength won't by any means be weak. A base of strength is still important in bodybuilding -- it just doesn't have to be world class.

I don't even know what I train for. :lol: Training itself is enough to keep me going. More strength, more size -- give me them both.

4. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

And that's pretty much what i'm saying. The strength that comes from training for aesthetics is a perk.

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

That's exactly the opposite of what I would say. The aesthetics that come from strength is a perk.

6. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm with DD on this one. The strength that comes from the aesthetics is the perc for me. I don't really care what I can lift, so long as I look good when I'm naked.

-R

7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    It seems to me that one's philosophy should be nailed down before pursuing one goal or the other. i.e. If you want to build for aesthetics, bench with form that isolates the activity to your pecs as much as possible. For strength, do whatever it takes to get that weight up. I've always operated from the latter mindset and, while I have been strong enough to meet or exceed my competetive goals, I've never in my life had an outstanding (personal evaluation) physique.

8. chang

chang Well-Known Member

I think for beginner's it's important to focus more on strength for the first few months at least. We all know that beginner's usually put on a solid amount of muscle within the first few months of training. If they are able to do this while training for strength, then they get the best of both worlds. After the newbie gains though, strength increases tend to slow down a lot, and it then becomes easier to train for aesthetics. However, I think everybody should continue to try to get the best of both worlds. This means rotating between strength and hypertrophy plans every few months.

Usually when your strength gains start to plateau, you probably need to pack on some more size, so you start training for aesthetic purposes for a while to get past your plateau. It works both ways I think.

9. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

You're overanalyzing the entire idea of a healthy lifestyle at this point. You said yourself that you're putting the cart before the horse asking this question; why not simply choose a goal you wish to achieve and run for it? At that point, all it takes is consistency, a proper diet, do your cardio, lift your weights, and see what pops out after a few months. Then re-evaluate, and if needs be, find a trainer or friend who can assist you in adjusting your plan to achieve your goal.

-R

10. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    'cause the current goal's in sight and I'm gonna hit it. :D Already thinking about the next goal and am pretty excited about the prospect.

M@

11. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

The bottom line is strength and aesthetics go hand in hand. It's very difficult to accomplish one without at the other UNLESS you train as a power lifter. As far as i'm concerned, MOST (not all) powerlifters look like poop. Just my opinion. No offense to you big boys.:D

12. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Dude, just keep at it brotha!!!! Goals are a good thing to have. The problem is, if you set your goals too high...........you're setting yourself up for failure. Be careful.

13. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

Originally aesthetics, but now both. I have chosen to engage in activites that coincide well with the pursuit of aesthetics, in my case endurance sports (running and now trying to get into triathlon). They aid significantly with keeping my fat levels low. I'm now on a collision course with single digit bodyfat, which I'm doing for two reasons 1) Having a very lean belly is fun and looks good and 2) Less weight means better cycling and running performance.

I still lift weights aggressively for upper body even though they do not aid in cycling/running at all, so for that it's all aesthetics.

My goal is to look like a triathlete but with more muscle than most of them have (not in legs, but in the upper body). Once I've achieved that aesthetic state, it will aid in performance :)

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I dig this. Freaking great idea!

...'cause, you know, if given a choice between the two I'll always prefer to take both.

M@

15. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

And THAT makes good sense!:tucool:

16. reanimated838uk

reanimated838uk Well-Known Member

I would prefer to have definition over strength, but if I have to sacrifice a lot of strength to get that definition, I wouldn't prefer it. I train to have functional strength and to get a good body... how much I can bicep curl is considerably less important than being able to do multiple reps n sets of things like pullups.

17. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

Strength 40%
    Health 40%
    Aesthetics 20%

If you train for strength AND health you're gonna look good. Strength only and you might get fat. Looks only and you might make the mistake of doing too much isolation work percentage wise, probably not if you're here, but I think alot of folks do that. To me you need alot of strength to look good. Skinny legs and back with bulging bi's and pecs isn't aesthetically pleasing to me. N00bs should always train for strength for a good long while if they really wanna get somewhere aesthetically speaking. :tu:

18. chang

chang Well-Known Member

Who says you can't have both strength AND definition?

19. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Prediction...............this thread's gonna turn into fireworks. Not BAD fireworks, just fireworks.:lol: :lol: :lol: :whistle:

20. chang

chang Well-Known Member

It's March... March feels like it needs a party! :jumping: