1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Strength, Hypertrophy and Endurance.

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by robbinhoodX91, Jan 5, 2009.

1. robbinhoodX91

robbinhoodX91 Active Member

Or I could save myself the trouble of doing something that's not important...

Honestly, cheat curls are pointless in my eyes. I don't like an exercise unless it's good form.

2. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

What's your reasoning? What defines good form? Some arbitrary rules some people made up to make the exercise uniform across lifting populations does not necessarily mean good form. Not wanting to get injured? Once you get a strong enough back/legs, something like cheat curls are definitely not going to injure you. Also, there are some world class throwers who make up their own lifts and do cheat curls as a primary exercise, but there is no point right?

3. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

"Cheats" are a great place for some people to start....especially in the case where they cannot yet do one.

Cheat pull-ups, cheat dips, cheat chin-ups, cheat push-ups, etc...

4. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The rugby player I was working in with a week ago was doing cheat curls as one of his exercises. Straps and 80kg.

5. tsk2264

tsk2264 Active Member

For those that believe in the bifurcation between strength and hypertrophy, a little bit of cheating is actually OK if strength while minimizing hypertrophy is your goal. If hypertrophy is your goal, strict form becomes more important.

6. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Loose form can be useful and even recommended for some types of training. You are interested in strength gains, so occasionally going really heavy with loose (yet controlled) form can be very useful for that goal.

7. Azure

Azure Active Member

Why wouldn't you be willing to measure? If you're worried about Hypertrophy, one would think that your greatest asset would be a measuring tape and calipers.

George is bang-on.

8. robbinhoodX91

robbinhoodX91 Active Member

I guess I'm done posting in this topic now. Nothing useful to me is being posted here anymore.

Thanks to everyone who actually helped me for you help. I'll probably be back if I have any more questions or theories to discuss.

And to those who still say you can't get stronger without getting bigger beyond the beginning of your training, do research on that. I know that you're wrong but a lot of beginners probably won't, and it's not fair to lead them down the wrong path.

See ya. :)

9. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You seem to assume we didn't do that already.

10. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

no need to inform us on ur future posting plans. :lol:

i know you feel like we're all "against" you.... but that's not the case. :tucool: