1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

STOP! Hammer time!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by sevenatenine, Oct 5, 2010.

1. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

So you may or may not remember but this week was going to be a light lifting week......
    Nahhhhhh.
    bb flat bench 190lbX5
    db incline bench 70lbX8
    Increased weights and smashed both of them. I must have tuckered myself out through because I ended up with less reps with the same weight I used last week on my last exercise, although the angle felt off so the seat might have been higher than last week(it was a hammer strength chest press).

2. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

sounds good to me:tucool:

3. sevenatenine

Little update here. Managed to up either weight or reps on all shoulder exercises on tuesday, but I wasn't really feeling it. Yesterday I felt soooo tired and annoyed I skipped the gym all together. I'm not sure why I was so tired because I got 8 hours of sleep and I'm not really sure why I was so annoyed. There was a guy at the library who was REALLY annoying, but he's there almost everyday and I can usually ignore him just fine, but yesterday by the time I left I was just in such a foul mood I went straight to work.
    I will be pushing my workouts forward a day for the rest of the week to make up for the missed day.

In other news, I picked up my final calculus marks last night and I finished with a 96%!:claphigh:

4. sevenatenine

Ok so I don't know whats up but I felt off again today. This time there was no negative physical feeling, but again I felt emotionally off. I'm usually happy and confident, but for some reason today I felt wayyy off kilter. The best way I can think to describe it is I had a "fat day", which doesn't make sense except that my emotional state was similar to that of when I was extremely overweight. My workout suffered and I only managed to get an OK back workout in, about equal to last weeks in weight/reps with no real increase.

It has been cold, dark and rainy the past couple days so I don't know if this is just from a lack of sunlight or what. Anyways I took a 24mg ephedrine and 200mg caffeine before my workout and by the end of my workout I felt good again. Whatever the fuck happened I hope it isn't a trend.

5. sevenatenine

It's been a bad week. I missed a workout which I will not be making up, with the exception of Monday the workout's I have had have all been forced and regardless of the number's sucked. I have hardly worked on my physics which I cannot afford to do with the university application date looming. I have slept 8-12 hours a night waking up tired and haven't even had the motivation to adhere to my diet as strictly as I would like.

I have felt tired, unmotivated, weak and just all around run down into the ground. I don't know if its a coincidence but this started the day I woke up and it was 13 degree's Celsius in my house. Because of all this I'm not even going to make up my leg day which should have been pushed to Saturday, I have been trying to push through this all week and failing so I'm going to rest up this weekend and start fresh Monday.

Have a good weekend everyone, see you Monday!

6. Buttersweet

Hope you're feeling better this Monoday!:) We all have bad periods, just do whatever you think is best and don't think too much about it, it will pass and you'll be yourself again.
    :hug:

7. sevenatenine

Ok so I felt good today. Still slacking off at the library, I didn't make it there until 3, and left at 5. Tomorrow I will be there sitting and studying by 11.

My workout today felt good, increased weight on the flat bench, but only got 3 reps with it instead of the 5 I was going for. I figured I couldn't increase every week forever but I was hoping I would make it past 195 before the stall. Oh well, I will try the same weight again next Monday and smash it! Used the same weight as last week on incline db press's but got 2 less reps. Also less reps with the same weight on the hammer strength press.

I don't know what this all means, maybe I just fried my chest muscles trying to push up that fourth rep on the flat bench.

Thanks J.

8. Buttersweet

I hope your burning those library seats! It's not very good for glutes but it's great for your grey cells:p

9. sevenatenine

Ok so yesterday I decided to do legs instead of back because my wrist has been bothering me and back doesn't really involve any hand work.
    Workout felt good and felt strong. I did light squats trying to work on depth, 135x10, 185x10 and 225x5. I concentrated on maximum depth with good form on the 135lb set, then concentrated on reproducing the exact same form on the heavier sets. Even after a month of intense stretching following every leg workout, I still feel like I have the same stopping point about 6inches above parallel. I'm beginning to think maybe squats just aren't for me, maybe my body just wasn't built to squat to parallel. Is this even a possibility or am I just being a pussy?

Increased weight/reps on leg curl and leg extension. My new gym has the plate loaded hammer strength machines and I really like the design of them. Usually the weight stack's on leg extension and leg curl machines just don't go high enough, but with the plate loaded ones you can fit a LOT of plates on it. I estimate the leg extension machine will hold 400-500lbs if I used the thin 45lb plates at my gym and since the most I can use right now is about 300lbs that leaves me lots of room to grow.

10. Buttersweet

both options are equally possible i must say:neener::neener:
    listen to what your body tells you, why should you force it? aren't there other types of exercise for a certain group of muscle? why does that exact one have to be done at all?

11. sevenatenine

Fridays back workout went well. Pulled (deadlifted) 275x5, that felt good so I added another 20lbs and pulled 295x1. My form on the 295 was kinda sketchy :whistle:.

So far I am feeling pretty good overall about my progress. I am up to about 193-194lbs (big jump in water weight when I started eating more) and climbing very slowly, while most of my lifts seem to be getting stronger every week. The waist in my pants seems slightly snugger, while the thighs in a couple pairs are getting noticeably tight. When I look in the mirror I feel noticeably more muscular than I did at the end of September, although I am walking around with a perpetual stomach bloat from all the food.

Well to be honest the only reason I worry about squats at all is a)because everyone on the internet tells me they are hardcore and says "yo how much you squat bro, lets see the wheels" and b)The idea of powerlifting has always interested me and squats are one of the 3 lifts in the sport. I like benching, I like deadlifting and I want to like squatting but I just hate it. oh and c)because I'm concerned that I am just being a pussy and I don't like the idea of giving up on something because its too hard.

I mean I guess there are lots of other leg exercises I could do, but I really wish I could just do a proper fucking squat!:mad:

12. Buttersweet

i didn't mean squats in general, there are different variations, why that one exactly? or am i just being ignorant?

13. sevenatenine

Maybe I should clarify.

When I say "squats" what I mean is bb back squats. I consider the alternative variations to just be different leg exercises. So all the reason's I have for wanting to do "squats" are reason's why I want to do "bb back squats"

14. Buttersweet

ooookaaaaay, just don't hurt yourself:neener:

15. sevenatenine

Weighed in at 192.6 this morning, the lowest I have seen in a month which is weird because I ate icecream and protein shakes before bed. All my lifts are getting stronger every week and this is my main measuring stick of progress so I am happy.
    I hurt myself :lol:
    I was doing incline db press's on monday and I pushed a little to hard. By the time I woke up tuesday it felt like someone had beaten me in clavicle with a baseball bat. I had a hard time reaching over to wash my other shoulder in the shower because it hurt.

Tuesday was supposed to be shoulder day but I did legs instead to let my clavicle rest up. I skipped on the squats and leg day went great. Did leg press instead, working up to 590x5 and added weight/reps to all other exercises.

I did arms yesterday and it was ok until I got to my last exercise (weighted dips). I tried to do a bodyweight dip and it felt like someone was beating me in the clavicle with a car so I did close grip bench press's instead. Last week I did dips with 45lbs around my waist so not being able to do body weight dips meant that movement really aggravated my injury. Other than that arm day was solid, added weight or reps to everything.

I woke up this morning and my right clavicle felt fine. Once I was up and moving around it felt a little stiff, but no wincing pain today which is a good sign. I will do back today and push shoulders right to the end of the week. Tomorrow I will start off light and judge how my shoulder feels about each exercise. I'm going to play it safe because this doesn't feel serious and I don't want to make it serious by working through pain.

16. Buttersweet

men:nope:
    :nod:

have a good weekend!

17. sevenatenine

Pulled 285x5, new personal record! That 315x5 is just around the corner...

My clavicle is still a little sore, but no where near as bad as it was and it's feeling better by the day. The real test will be Friday when I try and do dips. They REALLY made it hurt last week, I will try one Friday and if it hurts I will swap it out for close grip bench's again and try dips the following week.

Physics is frustrating me, possibly because I was expecting to just understand it and its taking quite a bit of work on my part.

I got back into the ephedrine again. I find with 24mg twice a day everything in life is just better. Studying is easier, my workout's go better, I'm happier in general and I'm even more social. I attribute this to just being more mentally and physically alert, but what I don't get is why I can't just feel this alert without it because I eat well, work out, and get 8+ hours of sleep a night. Oh well, I'll worry about that later.

18. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Weird that you aren't alert with good sleep, working out, and eating well.

19. sevenatenine

Yea I'm not sure if I'm having some sort of hormonal thing or maybe my 8 hours of sleep just aren't restful. Maybe I'm getting old..... is this what getting old feels like?

My bed is pretty old and way past its useful life. I will find out if its my bed this weekend, I went shopping last weekend and bought a brand new $2500 king sized mattress set and its being delivered this friday.

20. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Old? Fuck you man I'm 2 years older than you lol. Damn for $2500 you must be getting yourself one nice new bed. I'd definitely see how you feel after 8 hours on that bad boy.