1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

STOP! Hammer time!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by sevenatenine, Oct 5, 2010.

1. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

Almost had a nap again today, I was sooo tired by 3pm. I think I have become dependant on caffeine carrying me through my mid afternoon circadian chill and thats why I am getting soooo tired and wanting to nap.

Once I got to the gym I ran on the treadmill for 5 minutes to warm me up and get my blood flowing and it worked quite well.
    I had a Great shoulder workout today, added weight to bb shoulder press's, cable face pulls and upright rows.

Caffeine free: 5 days.

2. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

if you're sleepy around 3pm, get up and walk around for 10 minutes. Will wake you right up.
    As naps go, just wait 'til you have a kid. You'll sell your soul for one then. =)

Do you do Standing BB press, or seated military? I want to get away from seated press, as I feel it doesn't use your entire body. I tried standing press last week, and really, really liked it. I also found that I can bounce just a little to help get the weight up, which although I realize is kinda cheating, gets the whole body engaged in the lift.

#22 Llirik, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  3. sevenatenine

I do seated BB press because I find I can concentrate on my shoulders better and use higher weights. The only time I do them standing is when I'm doing push press's which although they recruit much more of the body I find are a good way to overload your shoulders.

I used to do standing military press with strict form and just found I prefer seated.

4. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

I'm about ready for a nap here myself. Maybe I should take one when I get home so I'm totally ready for the gym, but then I'll be up later than I want to be.

5. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Congrats on kicking the caffeine; I'd like to dump it myself, but for now the sober challenge is enough to deal with.
    I always got the worst headaches when I tried to get off caffeine!

6. sevenatenine

Well this is the end of caffeine free Chris. I got 4 hours of sleep last night and I need my brain to function today so I will be getting a coffee on my way to the library. I remember why I drink coffee now. If I get a good night sleep it doesn't really add much, but after a sleepless night the caffeine is essential. Compound sleepless nights lead to regular consumption which leads to dependency which causes me to require the caffeine even after a good night sleep.

Going caffeine free was an interesting idea that I plan on revisiting in the future, but for now getting my calculus done is more important than not drinking coffee as a part of a personal experiment.

7. sevenatenine

Considering the 4 hours of sleep I got last night and the fact that I almost said fuck it and stayed home from the gym because I was tired I had an AMAZING workout. I added weight to everything. Everything includes bb preacher curls, lying tricep extensions, hammer curls and dips. I discovered its quite awkward trying to hold a 20lb db between your feet while doing dips, its going to suck next week when I try it with a 25lb db.

Caffeine free: 0 days

8. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

I agree with you on the dumbbell, but you kinda get used to it. I would buy a belt, but I am too cheap, so I increase the reps, or do the dips as the last part of my workout, when I'm too tired to add on weight.

Here is an alternative though.

[​IMG]

You want to have the plate on the bench next to you. It's awkward to get it on, but much easier to workout with.

Also Bodyweight Triceps Extensions is one of my favorite triceps exercises

9. sevenatenine

Great leg workout today. Added weight to everything. The only problem I had was with stiff leg deadlifts, from the gip I was using the skin on the inside of my hands right at the base of my fingers (in the callous zone) hurt. Actually it still does a bit.

Looked online for dip belts and they are $40 from supplementscanada.com, its a subsidiary of popeyes, a local place so the prices and selection are usually similar. I'm going to check bodysystems next time I'm in the area because I really don't want a $40 belt.

Chocolate milk is on sale for $.99 a liter so I got 12 liters and decided to drink a liter as my post workout drink for the next two weeks. I like mixing things up and its a good excuse to drink a liter of chocolate milk lol. Now that I look at the carton I'm second guessing my idea because each liter contains 640 calories, 116g carbs, 24g protein, 10 g fat. Oh well there's 11 liters of it in my fridge now so I don't have a choice.

10. sudy

sudy Active Member

I think chocolate milk would be a decent workout drink.. gotta be better than many of those energy drinks anyway. and it'll double as a tasty treat :)

11. sevenatenine

Amazing chest workout today, added weight to everything again for the third week in a row. With the exception of that bad day near the end of last week where I drank a coffee and a pre workout energy drink I haven't consumed any stimulants in over a week now and the dependency seems to be fading.

Its for after my workout not during, I would probably be ill if I tried working out with a liter of chocolate milk in my belly lol.

12. sevenatenine

Seated bb shoulder press 135x5.
    That is all.

*edit*
    Ok thats not all. I have also been slacking off on my diet and in the "eat big get strong" mentality I have been eating more then the planned 3000 calories. I get this voice in my head that says the more I eat the stronger I will get and this voice is getting louder. I need to tighten this up before it becomes a big fat issue.
    Also my girlfriend is poison to my goals and although I know the key comes from within, I can't help but hate her for it. It feels like trying to climb a mountain with a monkey on my..... no fuck that, a silverback gorilla on my back.

#32 sevenatenine, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  13. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be half bad if it was a primate. She's just be throwing bananas and fig leaves at you :)

14. sevenatenine

I decided to do less sets and go heavier on deadlifts, I find doing 5x5 just doesn't leave me with anything in the tank for the last set. I did 3x5 and pulled 275 for 3 last set. Not the 5 I wanted but I think I can get it for 5 next week np.

15. sevenatenine

Slipped to the end of page two :eek:

Great chest workout today, increased my bb bench press and hammer press weights. I don't think I can increase the weight further next week without my form going to shit so I think I'm going to maintain weight for a week and concentrate on getting a few more reps with better form.

I have reduced the # of sets in my first exercise of the day from 5x5 to 3x5 for everything so I can concentrate on the last heaviest set. The progressively heavier 5x5 scheme was just leaving me completely drained by the time I got to the 5th set, not to mention the next exercise.

16. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

while you're climbing the mountain with the gorilla on your back think that you'll be that much stronger when you get to the top. ;)
    however, i'd have a serious talk with her, partners are there to carry us when we're too tired to walk on our own, not to add the extra burden, whatever the matter is. she needs to understand how important this is for you and help you reach your goals. otherwise, you might start to resent things.
    i had a boyfriend who'd say i didn't look as good as i could but when he needed company for McD's he'd nag and nag until i did as he wanted.:rolleyes: mostly he would make a sad look when i said i didn't want to eat that stuff like 'i can't eat if you don't join me, bla bla'.
    i wonder now, with my new boyfriend who's not so informed about my efforts, how this might work in the future:confused:

17. sevenatenine

Ok so great shoulder workout yesterday, I got 140lbs for 5 reps on a seated bb press. Great back workout today, pulled 275X5 deadlift, thats a new PR for me!!

I have been thinking I need a new toy to tinker with. Right now I have a slide out qwerty keyboard phone but I have been thinking a blackberry might fulfill my need for a new toy to tinker with. I REALLY want the new torch but at $600.... no way. I was looking at a blackberry curve 3g (9300) which is a more reasonable $350 and minus the touch screen and camera seems functionally quite similar to the torch.
    Anyone reading this have any experience with blackberrys care to share their opinion?

Oh and I have my calculus final exam tonight. I should have been studying for it the past couple days but instead I procrastinated and just didn't. I'm not real worried because I'm going to ace this like I did the mid term, but I need to work on studying before I get to university and it becomes important. Although I might just do it out of necessity when the time comes.

When your right your right. The conversation has been had and the resentment has already set in. The McD's thing sounds all to familiar as well.

18. sevenatenine

Does no one have a blackberry or did I loose all my readers? :lol:

Arm workout today was just OK. Increased all my weights but I didn't feel in my "groove", probably because I didn't get much sleep last night.

My mom decided she wants to take me out to dinner to a Chinese buffet for dinner tonight, I must remember "a buffet is not meant to be a challenge".

19. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Sorry, I am reading, but I'm techno-challenged! I still have to get my daughter to show me how to use some of the features in my cell-phone!
    BTW, how do you think you did on your calculus exam?

20. sevenatenine

Good, maybe not as good as the mid term, but good enough for university! There were a couple questions that I had to take a second look at but in the end I'm pretty sure I got them.