1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Stomach skin after pregnancy

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Highway1, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Highway1

Highway1 Well-Known Member

This is not for me obviously, but for my wife. What can she do to tighten up the skin in her lower stomach area from pregnancy. We just bought an elliptical and started using it. Im just not sure if there is anything else like sit-ups or something to tighen up the skin. :confused:

2. Fudgam

Fudgam Well-Known Member

There might be some topical creams you can use.

3. Highway1

I wouldnt know about that. Ill have to look into it. I wonder what catagory it would fall under. Would I get it at a health store?

4. Fudgam

Fudgam Well-Known Member

Im guessing that a health-oriented store would have it. But first, shop around. I love the health/health food store as much as the next guy, but they are pretty expensive. Try online too.

5. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I don't think it's a problem of tightening up skin, it's a problem of losing fat. It's done the same way as everyone else does. I wouldn't believe a magic cream. Only time, exercise, and conscientious diet will tighten the tummy. Generally, it takes 9 to 12 months. And, yeah, these months feel like forever. I wanted to hide in the house for a year. Twice.

6. Highway1

ok, thx. She has been losing weight, its just the loose skin shes worried about. Ill see how the elliptical works out.

7. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

I disagree. If the skin is loose, it's loose because it's been hugely stretched for months. It needs time to recover its elasticity, just like the skin of people who've had dramatic weight loss.

If it's fat, then sure, it'll come off in time. Loose skin almost always tightens up over time as well, but that sort of time is often measured in months and years, not days and weeks. I wouldn't put any faith in creams, either. As far as sit-ups go, they'll help her abs tighten, but they won't tighten skin. Patience is the key, methinks.

:gl:

8. Highway1

OK, I see those movie stars that have children then do interviews a few months after giving birth with stomachs that look flat and perfect. The question is, "How did they do it?". I know they have personal trainers but I dont think its some well guarded secret. Im gonna surf around at some women's health websites and see what I can find. Ill post my findings here.

This should be a common problem that I can find info on.

9. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

Ahh..moviestars

A large part of their ability to "snap back" into their regular shape is due to the fact that these women are in really good physical shape to begin with. I worked at a gym with a step-aerobics insturctor who had two children during my employment there. She was in fantastic shape. She literally looked like her unpregnant self in two weeks! Doctors have started telling women it is okay to workout until your last month of pregnancy if you were in tip-top shape before conception. The reason why is because their bodies are used to the high impact routine. As long as it isn't too intensive it is good for both baby and mother. It is not recommended for out of shape mothers. Being active before pregnancy is proven to hasten recovery after birth. I think it is just going to take time because her body is recovering from a pretty remarkable change.

10. Ansett

Ansett Well-Known Member

There are two more factors in this that have not been mentioned yet: age and pre-preg weight.
    The older you are, the less elastic your skin becomes. So if you have a baby at 23, your skin has a good chance of tightening up fast, where as if you have a baby at 36 (like I am going to), it's possible your skin might not ever be quite the same. Then you have to think about surgery if you really care that much about it.
    Secondly, how heavy you are can determine what your stomach looks like afterwards. If you have a gut, it can get stretched out during pregnancy too. The adipose tissue will get all stretched out just like the skin, and when it contracts back it may not be uniform anymore. It can look all... weird. Then no amount of diet will help. Big or small, it still looks all stretched out and weird, so surgery is the only thing that will help that (ie. the tummy tuck) But it can take a couple of years before a person really knows if that will be her situation. Gotta give the stomach area a chance to contract on its own.

11. piel2000

piel2000 Well-Known Member

i say give her a broom-stick and stand right in front but kind of on the side and tell her to hit you with it, swing it like a baseball bat, over time that muscle will/should tighten up. :D JUST JOKING! but i would love to do it to my husband as a big thank you for helping me get fat and thanks for not even helping me carry the fat around on day to day bases.