1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Stomach pain from whey protein powder?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by gazareth, Feb 19, 2007.

1. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member
    Bronze Member

Last week I started using whey protein powder for the first time. The brand I'm using until my Nitrean arrives is Maximuscle's Promax.

Ever since I started drinking the shakes in accordance with my SGX protocol, I've been suffering from mild to moderate stomach cramps. Y'know, as if I need to "go" - the thing is, I don't always need to.

I was wondering if it was the flax oil that I was taking in the shakes but I haven't had any of that yesterday or today and it hasn't really helped. Today the ache was most pronounced after having my meal 4 shake, which makes me think that's the problem.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? I know I'm not lactose intolerant or anything. Is it just my body getting used to the huge increase in protein intake? I've gone from barely 50-60g a day to getting on for 250 after all!

2. chris0374

chris0374 Active Member

50-60g a day to 250g may be causing the stomach problems. I really don't know. Maybe it's your brand of protein powder that's causing it?

3. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member
    Bronze Member

I really need my Nitrean to show up so I can check if it's the brand. Goddamn :(

4. hemburger

hemburger Well-Known Member

I think its your increased protein + fat combinations. I have the same feeling after my protein meals or protein+fat meals.

5. veggiemusician

veggiemusician Active Member

I think it could be dew to the sweetners used in the Protine powder.

6. chris mason

chris mason Well-Known Member
    Official Sponsor

I may be totally incorrect, but I think you will find that you don't experience that problem with Nitrean.

7. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

Drink more water when you take the powder. A large portion of digestion problems tend to stem from dehydration.

8. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hey Gaz, I didn't realize you were doing SGX. That's great. You're going to love the results.

I remember having a similar problem with whey and I'm not sure if it was while I was on SGX or not. I think I decided it was the brand of whey I was using. Haven't had the problem since and I have at least two shakes a day. But when I had the cramps, it was bad. I even had to leave work one day.

9. Tilley

Tilley Active Member

Whatever you do, don't sleep with the blankets over your head...:sleep:

10. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member
    Bronze Member

[​IMG]

;)

11. Webby

Webby Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of the composition of Promax, but I find that certain protein powders have bad effects on my gutst too!

Do a search on Swole's forum as this was discussed at some point there. The conclusion was that switching to a whey isolate should end your problems.

My personal experience is that too much concentrate and i'm farting out of my left ear!! I had a bad time with some cheap bulk powder I bought.

I recommend you change powders. For SGX I find that USN 100% Whey (isolate + concentrate blend) is good, or go for the NZ Whey isolate from www.myprotein.co.uk which is also pretty good. The Nitrean will probably be fine too.

12. dodus

dodus Well-Known Member

I'm going to second (or third?) the opinion that it's your brand of protein powder and not a more general problem with whey or upping protein intake. I've had the exact same thing happen to me (many times) when, during periods of time where I'd be eating certain foods at certain times like clockwork, I'd run out of my Nitrean or Dymatize and have to use a temporary protein replacement while I waited on the shipment. Designer Whey is particularly bad for causing cramps...virtually seconds after eating/drinking anything with Designer Whey in it. Not sure what makes some powders do this and some not. But as Chris said, you should be money with Nitrean.

13. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member
    Bronze Member

Stomach pains are almost completely gone with Nitrean. Still get them occasionally but not as strong or as long-lasting.

Nitrean - is there anything it can't do?

14. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

OK.... that's it.... I am dumping my stash of ATW protein powder. I NEVER have the feeling of discomfort with Nitrean that I now do with my old batches of ATW powder. Amd I actually feel better when I am drinking Nitrean....

15. Webby

Webby Well-Known Member

Gaz, out of interest how are you getting Nitrean in the UK? I wanted to try some, but their website says they don't accept international orders.

16. chris mason

Official Sponsor

:confused:

No, it states that we provide custom quotes for international orders. Just email us and we will give you a quote. Most of our UK customers find the price to be quite competitive including the cost of shipping.

:tu:

17. chris mason

Official Sponsor

Thanks to everyone with their kind comments about Nitrean!

18. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member
    Bronze Member

Just PM Chris for a quote - I recommend getting several tubs at once. Fo example, one tub on its own is $80 but if you order 6 tubs it's $55 per tub.

19. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

All The Whey gave me the worst gas. Seriously, it was uncomfortable, and my roommate hated me.

My first protein was from ProSource, which was damn good and I still haven't found something so tasty. I like Nitrean and it does nothing but good things to my GI tract. Go with a quality product and you will be happier.

20. h2onabe

h2onabe Well-Known Member

HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! i agree. but sometimes....even when your blanket isn't above your head....the smell kinda drifts up towards the opening anyways :D.

i like my nitrean. i haven't been serious enough to note any significant changes performance but i DO know the vanilla nitrean's pretty darn tasty :D.

i do sometimes get an upset stomach from opticen though. i think my diet habits are to messed up right now is all. i think if i had a solid diet i'd have no problems.