1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

stomach flat/stomach flab

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by wvpumpkin, Aug 27, 2005.

1. wvpumpkin

wvpumpkin Well-Known Member

Alright here is what I don't get. How can my stomach look so flat, I can even start to see some ab definition finally when standing. However like when I am sitting in the tub, it still has flab on it. Also I can grab some fat/flab in both my hands and cup them. What does this mean? I also know that people say that just becasue you lose fat, it might not show up on scale as weight loss? It should because fat still has weight, right. I am saying if you really haven't gained or tried to gain muscle and you burn fat, how come it wouldn't show up on scale? Like people say their is a difference in weight loss and fat loss. Excluding any muscle gain/loss etc. Hope I make sense :d_confuse

2. brezman

brezman Well-Known Member

If you can grab fat on your stomach, well it means you still have fat there, nothing more.

Everyone has a gut when they sit down, not only does it amplify the fat thats there, but you've also got internal organs being pushed forward because of your sitting position.

If you aren't lifting then fat/lean tissue loss will definitely show on the scale. If you are lifting, nothing may show on the scale because you are losing fat and gaining lean mass.

3. wvpumpkin

wvpumpkin Well-Known Member

Yes, I am definitely lifting. I haven't weighed myself for weeks. Kind of scared. Have always been a scaleaholic he he. So I guess if you are at a good body fat percentage, you shouldn't be able to grab any fat at all, is this correct. Thanks for the reply, it helps alot.

4. brezman

brezman Well-Known Member

Many ppl have different ideas of what bf% is "ideal".

Me personally, after being a fatass for most of my life, I'm pretty comfortable at %15 and able to grab a solid inch of lard on my stomach. I've had abs before, but getting there and maintaining it is more work than I care to do.

In bodybuilding circles, >10-12% is considered fat, but thats crazy imo, besides most ppl here are not bodybuilders but rather fitness enthusiasts who just want to be in good shape, and a 100% ripped, flat stomach is not necessary.

5. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

That is a good way to measure body fat with calipers, you pinch the FAT. If you don't measure it then it might help to weigh.

Muscle isn't gained easily. It is easier to gain fat due to calorie creep and poor diet control.