1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Stomach Balloon?!

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by TheLemonSong, May 18, 2004.

1. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040517/hl_nm/stomach_ballon_dc_1

I about cried laughing at this...what doctor could look at a patient and say "Ok Mr. Smith, we're going to insert this balloon in to your stomach, and in four months you'll have some weight loss..." I suppose you could do that, OR you could spend those 4 months..gee, i don't know..EATING RIGHT AND EXCERSIZING!!! and you'd get BETTER results!!

" Placement of a balloon inside the stomach as a treatment for obesity leads to effective weight loss after four months, and it appears to be safe and well tolerated, Dr. Bertrand Napoleon reported here this week at Digestive Disease Week."

Have things really come to this?! Can't doctors even realize that there is no magic pill?

2. Craig

Craig Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem too bizzare to me. People do much more drastic things like stomach stapling and jaw wiring. The only problem I can see is that people may opt for this as an easy way out rather than commiting to a diet and exercise plan. With stomach stapling/jaw wiring, people would be more inclined to try diet & exercise first.

3. tashimarie

tashimarie Well-Known Member

i do not see the point of this balloon. with the costs involved and the slow decrease in weightloss it doesnt seem very effective. having to replace the balloon every six months? not only does the weightloss seem very slow, it also seems like a bad idea to introduce something so foreign into your body, the risks wouldnt match up for me. and while many people have the stomach stapled now days, it doesnt seem efficient, almost out dated. people can go in and have their stomachs stapled and experience a rapid rate of weight loss, why would they want to go for the slower rate with the balloon?

sounds like a waste to me!

4. LarryNC

LarryNC Well-Known Member

People think diet and exercise is the Hard way to lose fat. They think that getting stuff like this done works wonders, prob because its soo much money

5. tashimarie

tashimarie Well-Known Member

i have a friends whos mother had her stomach stapled, she lost over 200 pounds and looked great! however she failed to follow a good diet and incorporate exercise into her life.......after 2 years and 200 pounds she thought she had found the miracle cure for obesity and so continued to eat unhealthy.......she has so far gained 75 pounds since her weightloss....now shes complaining that the procedure didnt work. i tried to explain to her that she needs to eat better and exercise, but she wont go for it lol, she thinks im nuts! its unfortunate that she doesnt believe in eating well.

i agree that people go for the 'miracle cure' over the work involved in learning to lose the right way (healthy way), and once they get their cure, they dont feel its important (or they dont know) to eat a well balanced, healthy diet and exercise. you'd think that after spending all that money and enduring the side affects etc of surgery, they would want to do what it takes to maintain their health.

6. d2mini

d2mini Well-Known Member

The reason you friends mother is gaining weight is because you are only able to eat a certain amount once the stomach has been stapled without throwing up. So people learn how much they can eat without getting sick. Then the stomach stretches and they realize they can eat a little more. This cycle continues until they are gaining weight again. Many people are finding this out now and blaming the procedure.

7. mzmtg

mzmtg Well-Known Member

Even with a stapled stomach, it takes discipline to follow the doctors orders and do what you need to.

8. GradualStudent

GradualStudent Well-Known Member

Ugh. Why don't they require people to at least go to a lifestyle camp paid for by insurance first?

All these things are superficial solutions to an appearance problem, not health solutions to a health problem. I just read an entire article on the need for exercise but NOT ONE WORD about the fact that it is Bike to Work Week, or even anything about finding time to exercise by incorporating it into routines! Being in public health, that bothers me.

It is all about style, appearance, instant gratification, quick fixes and demanding services to solve problems and wanting it all RIGHT NOW DAMNIT! External solutions for internal problems, individual solutions for societal problems (e.g. no where to walk). I cringe at all the parents in my neighborhood who pile their kids into their SUVs and minivans (I own one too) and drive off to school while I and my kids walk the 2/3 mile - they leave at the same time and get there at the same time because of the traffic piled up around the school as all their friends do the same. I know because they usually pass me on the way back near home. They don't even save any time ferrying the next generation of bariatric cash cows in small circles. Then they complain about how all the sports stuff they have their kids do to stay fit takes so much time and money and the kids get fed up with it.

Sorry for the long rant, but this is a complicated problem of societal pressures, fads, environmental exposures, entitlement, medicalization and clinicalization of everything, failure to assess alternatives, and lack of empowerment. No surgery to fix that!