1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

still low kgs after years of training

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by autumngirl, Sep 8, 2017.

1. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

In regards to weight lifting, I am not happy with my performance, in the past five years (although it is probably due to my focus on cardio but now I have multiple goals which include increase in both lifting strength and cardiac endurance).
    In 2013, I bought a 50 kg set of weights (compared to my previously used little colorful dumbbells) and was successful at the first 6-8 weeks or so, then maintained the strength gains until now BUT ...
    In 2014-2016, I was unable to deal with free weights, every time I tried my form will be sloppy so I shifted to weight machines because I did not want to give up on weight lifting.
    In 2017, I started to desire in relation to strength training since my cardiac endurance has improved as per my earlier plan. I seem to be lifting humbly in terms of "no of kg" in each exercise or should I say I am not happy with my level of strength?

My current weight lifting schedule (started two weeks ago)

• 2-3x / wk
    • 3 sets 12, 10, 8 reps.
    • DB bend back laying bench rows @ 10kg or 22 lbs
    • DB shoulder shrugs @ 10kg or 22 lbs
    • DB shoulder press @ 5kg or 11 lbs
    • DB laying bench chest press @ 5kg or 11 lbs
    • Elastic cable shoulder flies
    • DB squats @ 10kg or 22 lbs
    • BB deadlifts @ 7kg or 15.4 lbs
    • Triceps head extension @ 5 kg or 11 lbs plate
    • DB curls @ @ 5kg or 11 lbs
    • Calf raise - No weights!
    DB: dummbell, BB: barbell

I think overall my hamstring, calves, deltoids, chest, biceps and triceps are all very weak.

I was testing myself the other day with trying to push myself to maximum:
    • I can only do 20 body weight squats
    • I can only do 20 reps of bend over back laying on bench @ 10 kg (without any rest)
    I will explain my issue clearly, when I try heavier weight, this is what happens:
    1. My muscles can handle it but it feels like I struggle to maintain the form and do the reps (sometimes can never finish even 4 or 6 reps).
    2. My heart beats very fast (sometimes up to 190-200 bpm), I sweat heavier than before and go out of breath.
    3. My mind cannot seem to focus and I feel mentally challenged afterward.
    Anyway, a positive sign: I was able to leave the weights machines at gym and go back to free weights at my lovely home after gaining some cardiac endurance - I know free weight can be more challenging even at a lower weight since you need a controlled movement without the "weight machine" support your movement throughout the exercise.

Still ... I need some tips

What are the factors to consider now, to assist me to advance in terms of, the no. of kg per exercise (or to increase my strength)?

I am 34 yo female, 145 lbs of weight, at 5'5" height.
    I eat 1400-1500 calories per day (55% carbs, 26% protein, 19% fats)
    45 minutes of weight training & 45 minutes of cardio in my first week.
    75 minutes of cardio and 75 minutes of weight training in my second week (I used magnesium creatinine 1000 mg only on days of lifting)

#1 autumngirl, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017