1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Stiff Leg Deadlift

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Spartan88, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Spartan88

Spartan88 Active Member

Anyone doing these?

Felt these in the hamstrings and lower back. I believe that i contrast to the Straight Leg, Straight Back Deads you allow your back to round at the bottom of the movement.

My Hamstrings are very inflexible. Will this lift help?

Interested in anyone's experience of this lift.

2. jessie

jessie Well-Known Member

I used to do those, now I prefer to do romanian deadlifts, and if I recall from some of his posts Mastover likes to do these with dumbells.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/romanian-deadlift
    You can improve your hamsting flexabilty by strectching them on a regular basis, especially, make sure you strecth your hams after workling them.

3. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Done right, RDLs will hit the hamstrings and glutes more.
    The SLDL will recruit more of the lower back.

4. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

I do RDL's myself. Like them much better than the SLDL.

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I discovered I've been RDLing every time I thought I was SLDLing. And do prefer it.

Jaer
    is just glad he was actually DLing every time he thought he was DLing.

6. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Basically, if your butt sticks out behind you as you descend, its an RDL.
    (This is for the OP)

Me too...:nod:...although SLDLs are great for warming up the p'chain for stuff like GHRs.

7. Acme

Acme Member

Hi all

First post.

Would the goal be to have the legs "straight" in the stiff legged dead-lift?

Would the recommendation be to do SLD's after squats?

And do RDL's on other days?

8. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Hello back, and welcome!

Stiff leg and Romanian Deadlifts do NOT have a straight, knee-locked leg. The legs are stiff--as in the movement does not come from the knees moving, but rather from the hips pushing back to lower and front to raise--but the legs are not straight. Use a slight bend to knees.

And do note that weight for Romanian and Stiff-leg DLs will be much much lower than a regular deadlift.

As for when you implement your deadlifts, that depends on various things, like your splits and training practices. I recently did my RDLs after squatting based on a recommendation from DigitalNebula, and I will say it was a leg-frying experience. Will do again.

I think most people here would not recommend two different days of deadlifting, especially for beginners (assumption made based on this being your first post and therefore I know nothing about you except you are looking for some info on deadlifting). The usual recommendation is hit it once with all you got, then let it rest for next time.

Not to say there are not plenty of training programs that would call for doubling up--just don't know enough about your situation.

Jaer
    hopes this helps. He's no expert on deadlifts.