1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Stiff Leg Dead-lifts

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by karatetricker, Feb 2, 2004.

1. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

About to start Max-OT and these are on the leg workout. I am trying to understand how to do them. What I am really curious is how much weight I should try. I squat like 250lbs, so what would be a relatively good starting point for these? Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. NME

NME Well-Known Member

Less than that. Not that your squat is entirely relative to your SLDL, but try...say...200lbs.

3. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

why not warmup.. try a plate aside and make a judgement call from there

4. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Alright, please explain what I might have done wrong. I did NOT feel this in my hamstrings, all I felt was a huge pain in my lower back after my 2 sets. I've never done deadlifts or stiffleg dead lifts before, but I read AST's description and I saw an animation online, but still I did not feel it and it hurt.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

5. Rockman

Rockman Well-Known Member

I have a gut feeling you'll be posting how much your hammies hurt in two days! :D

6. map200uk

map200uk Well-Known Member

Start low, remember by doing straight legged deads itys v easy to damage your back, and once your backs gone...ur fucked :blank:

as for form, u checked the bodybuilding.com site?

Mark

7. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

Straight legged dead lifts (SLDL) and dead lifts should be hitting entirely different muscles. SLDL should be hitting the gluts and the hammies. Dead lifts hit the lower back.

How much you squat really has no impact to how much you should be hitting for SLDL. I rarely go above 225 lbs for SLDL and I squat much much more. The best burn I get is with normal 135 lbs for SLDL. I can get a good strech at the bottom.

I do find that SLDL's are the best for hitting my hammies. I think that they isolate much better than machine curls, unless I have a partner. But then again I normally do both exercises.

8. NME

NME Well-Known Member

KarateKicker:

If the SLDL's do not seem so effective for you, stand on a block or box (or something similar). This puts more tension on the hammies.

9. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

SLDLs are also related to your flexibility. Start light and work your way up to heavier weights - Form is very important in SLDLs. If you're feeling it in your back, then your form is probably seriously off.

If you're bending over pretty good and aren't getting a good stretch, then increase the weight. Still not feeling it? Then Famous has an excellent suggestion: Stand on a block.

10. funtax

funtax Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with SLDLs. I feel it in my back, not my hamstrings. I'm guessing my problem is form, so I'll be trying the "box" suggestion next week.

11. haven97

haven97 Well-Known Member

I feel it in my lower back and my hams. I'm not sure if that is normal or not. I usually go light (135) for these to start out with and then move up from there. I dont think I would try to go anywhere near what I squat for these. Like everyone else said they are totally different.