1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

StevieD's progress photos

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by StevieD, Jun 11, 2004.

1. StevieD

StevieD Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd finally post some pictures of my progress so far.

I weighed 197 lbs last November, and was probably around 17-20% bodyfat. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures until those below.

The first image is from 3/6/04, when I was 180lbs, calipers measured me at 11.2%, and mybodycomp.com said 14.8%.

Next picture is from 5/5/04, and I am 170lbs, 10.1% by calipers, and 11.8% at mybodycomp.com.

The third and fourth ones show me on 6/2/04, at 170lbs, 8.6% calipers and 11.0% mybodycomp.

I tend to believe the bodyfat numbers from the website are closer, any other opinions?

Attached Files:

#1 StevieD, Jun 11, 2004
    Last edited: May 30, 2005
  2. fujo

fujo Well-Known Member

WOW! You are doing great!! I can't even begin to guess bf -- but you can see a heck of a difference.

3. Musicguy

Musicguy Well-Known Member

Inspirational pics... congrats on the progress you've made!

4. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

excellent work man, keep us posted on updates! :tu:

5. StevieD

40th Birthday pics

Well, here are a few pictures of where I stand now. Currently at 170lbs. These were taken on my 40th birthday last week. Not much progress from a year ago, but I hope to really buckle down and shed some more fat this summer, then add a few pounds of muscle over the winter.

Attached Files:

6. citrixmeta

citrixmeta Well-Known Member

you look incredible!!

GIVE ME UR ABS NOW!!! :)

7. reanimated838uk

reanimated838uk Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think you've progressed quite significantly. :bow:

8. vcdking24

vcdking24 Well-Known Member

Great work!!! What was your routine like? You have the type of build Im shooting for.. Can you tell me what type of cardio/weight training you did?

9. Thrillhouse17

Thrillhouse17 Well-Known Member

You want to shed fat??!!! Man, now I feel fat. When I finally (if ever) look like you do I'll be happy. Great work, great arms, and amazing back. It's huge!

10. Kebas

Kebas Well-Known Member

Wow! I cant wait till I get my abs showing like that! I am just at the stage where i can feel them if I do a crunch and press on them :(

11. StevieD

Thanks.

For the past year I've done mostly HST weight training. For cardio I mainly ride my road bike, commuting to and from work (12 miles) a couple of times per week, plus a longer ride most weekends.

Before that, though, I've lifted weights for about 20 years now, on all different types of programs (pyramids, Max-OT, make-it-up-as-you-go, etc.)

I finally lost some of my bodyfat last year by basically following what John did diet-wise. 40-40-20, with about 2000 calories per day. THe last 6 months or so I've slacked on that somewhat and been on a maintenance diet effectively.

12. StevieD

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

13. quaker

quaker Well-Known Member

You're looking great. Keep it up!

14. Abdominator

Abdominator Well-Known Member

Excellent progress! You look great! Keep up the good work. :)

- Skip :)

15. StevieD

This will be interesting

It's been a long time, but I'm going to post a bit more on this thread. Let's just say that things have fluxuated since the last update. In early January I hit my highest weight of 189.6lbs, and not all of that was good weight :)

I spent the large portion of that time eating an "ok" diet, but definitely not as healthy as I should have. I have continued working out (bicycling, lifting, other cardio), although as I've aged I've moved into more bodyweight and less heavy freeweight lifting. My cycling has also been reduced for a variety of reasons.

In the past couple of years, I've been experimenting with what I'll call "paleo-ISH" eating, although i wouldn't say I've been very good about it. I cannot blame any of my weight gain on that diet itself, since I was creeping up even before that happened, plus the fact that while I would eat what it called for, I'd also eat pretty much whatever I wanted that was not.

One thing I should note. My blood cholesterol, blood pressure, etc., have always been in the healthy range. After about a year of intentionally eating more fat, eggs, etc. (along with some of the stuff I technically would have wanted to avoid), all of my blood work improved. While my total blood cholesterol went up, triglycerides went down (74->51), HDL went up (47->62), and the LDL/HDL ratio dropped (2.3->1.8). No meaningful change to blood pressure. Additionally, I had some cardiac testing done at one point, and they showed absolutely 0 plaque buildup in my arteries.

I don't say that to try and tout the paleo/primal diet stuff, but just as a point of data that I used when deciding what to do going forward. I don't see any signs that this diet is causing health issues, i definitely enjoy being able to eat my whole eggs, etc., so I'm going to continue with a "real" paleo/primal diet at this point. At least the major philosophies; I'm not going to panic if I eat a bit of rice or if something from a restaurant might use minor ingredients that are not technically allowed.

In any case, I decided to start buckling down and using discipline on March 31, when my weight was 186lbs. I don't have a picture at that point, although I'd say my appearance was comparable to the very first picture in this thread. Since then, I've dropped 5lbs, and believe that I'm seeing some signs of fat loss via the mirror test.

I'm going to see if I can approach the level of body composition I had in the later pictures using this diet. Theoretically, one can become a "fat burning beast" (to quote Mark Sisson) with this diet, and if he's right this should be possible. I hope to post pictures to support that, but if not I'll have learned something at the least.

16. StevieD

Photos 2014-04-12

Work to do

Attached Files: