1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting Out

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by polo31, Aug 30, 2008.

1. polo31

polo31 Active Member

hey guys,

I'm new to the site, was referred by citrixmeta, my uncle. I'm 16 years old, 6'-6'1", around 140 pounds.

Joined here because when it comes to this kinda stuff, I'm completely lost.

I basically wana start working out to get in shape before my basketball season starts again and not to stay home all day doing nothing..

I talked to my uncle about this already and he recommended I start doing deadlifts and squats. My only concern is screwing up the form and end up hurting myself, how do I make sure I'm doing them right??

thats about it guys,
    peace

2. Bt443407

Bt443407 Active Member

Welcome! Yea, go with what your uncle said. Focus on squats, deadlifts, benching, pullups, dips, and rows...as these will focus on many muscles at once, and help you grow stronger. I would also recommend looking at the stickies on nutrition, as you should change up what you are eating in order to put on muscle.

Goto http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html for instructions on how to do the exercises/proper form.

Good luck!:bb:

3. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

Experience

Start off light and practice your form. Think about the movement as you doing it - where should your hips be? what should the bar path be?

If you self-critique your form then you'll be doing them properly in no time. Its the guys who don't read up on the lifts and load on too much weight who get injured

When I started squatting I thought I was going to a decent depth - until the gym installed mirrors and I saw my movement was nowhere near parrellel. Basically I had to strip off the weight and learn the lift all over again

Don't make the same mistake I did and not bother with proper form - While it may seem a long process you will save time by learning the proper way to lift first time round

4. Eagle Tree

Eagle Tree Active Member

5. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well maybe your uncle can help with the form - it's a lot easier if someone can be there and watch you do it as opposed to relying on video, or worse yet, descriptions.

I suggest you read Pete5's journal. He's about the same size, and he plays basketball too, and his training has been very successful in my opinion.

6. polo31

polo31 Active Member

Yesterday, I walked to my gym (a 5 minute walk away), and saw that they have no squat or deadlift equipment... :bang:

So I guess my question is, now what? Which of the exercise equipment should I use, what part of my body should I focus on? How many sets is good to start with for someone who's never exercised seriously before?

Any help is appreciated. I'm lost.

7. euan

euan Active Member

All you need is a barbell or some dumbbells - your gym has those, surely?

8. themuss

themuss Well-Known Member

You're gym doesn't have a barbell? Thats kind of strange. Anyways, no matter. You can do both exercises with Dumbbells, and if your gym does not have those, well it aint a gym!

First things first. What you've been told here is all correct, make sure first and foremost you do your research on the proper form and technique. You will need to seek out either your uncle or a fitness professional at the gym to instruct you on this. Need to get this downpat, as you're still growing and incorrect form will really hinder you.

Secondly, and this goes hand in hand with the above, don't try to go flat out off the blocks with the amount of weight you use. Start light and build it up. You may have the correct form, but if the weight is too heavy your form will last probably for about 2 reps.

Thirdly, I recommend you pick yourself up a good strength anatomy book thats easy to understand. I recommend Strength Training Anantomy by Frederic Delavier.

Lastly (and this is so I don't forget later), when you get a bit further along in your training - perform jump squats religiously, excellent excercise for builing up explosive power in the legs, good for B'Ball.

Cheers mate and good luck.