1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Starting from Scratch with Complications

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by realserendipity, Jun 26, 2007.

1. realserendipity

realserendipity Well-Known Member

I'm hoping someone can give me a little advice on where I can start the journey to the new me. After finally having a major complication from being overweight (gallbladder removal), I am desperate to get healthy and lose.
    Ive read the flagged posts on fat loss but Im a little stuck on working out. I cant lift more than 15 pounds for the next six weeks but I want to start working out now.

Information on me:
    I'm 5'11, 245 pounds (how did I let this happen), work two jobs for a total of about 60 hours a week). I need to lose at least 75 pounds.
    I have access to two different gyms plus I got a treadmill in my house.
    The diet I think I have figured out although Im at a loss as to exactly how much I need to eat.

Any help is really appreciated

2. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

Congratulations on making "the decision"!:claphigh:

Thats a tricky one since no one can tell you the right answer. Since everyone's body works differently, and everyone has different movement habbits this number varies quite a bit from person to person.
    But all is not lost!
    You will need to decide on a starting point, then monitor your progress and adjust as needed. First go here
    to figure out what your BMR is (basal metabolic rate, or the amount of calories your body needs per day to maintain itself in a coma). But since your not in a coma you will need to factor in daily activity, go here to do that, and voila, you have an estimated maintenance calorie level (the amount you would need to eat everyday to maintain your body weight)

Since you want to lose weight, take that number and cut it. 1 lb of fat = approx. 3500 calories, -500x7=3500 so cut it by 500 calories per day for 1lb per week weight loss. I would say 1-2lbs per week is a good goal depending on how gently you want to cut, but don't aim for more then 2lbs per week or bad things happen.
    Keep in mind this is still just an estimated number, you will have to monitor your progress and adjust as needed, but you gotta start somewhere and thats as good a place as any.

Keep it in this order of importance for weight loss, Diet>Weight training>cardio.
    If you can't lift for a while due to your surgery don't push it. Use that time to get your diet in check, because that will be the main determining factor in fat loss. Don't get over eager and hurt yourself before your healed, if you injure yourself now it may be even longer before you can lift.

I know exactly how you feel "how did I let this happen". I was 250lbs at one point, 240lbs in February when I got serious about losing the fat, now I'm just under 190 and it feels SOO nice to be rid of most of my fat suit. To be able to walk down the street again with your head held high, without wondering if those laughing playing children are really just laughing at the fat ass walking down the street.... A lot of reading and knowledge, mixed with some determination and hardwork is all it takes. If I (and so many others on this site) can do it, so can you!

Chris.