1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SSC - Sober September Challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by smuhhh, Aug 17, 2009.

1. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

You know what to do.

I have participated in a few Sober challenges, some going better than others :o, but I really want to make it through this one with 100% consistancy. Hope some of you would like to join me in this now that summer is winding down!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Count me in! :tu:

3. angell

angell Active Member

On weekends I usually take a drink or four (and sometimes I get smashed). If this is much or not I don't know, but no one can tell me that it's good for me.
    So yeah, count me in!

4. jerome

jerome Active Member

This is needed. Starting a day early.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Unless there are some late sign ups it looks as if it's going to be a small group, but that's okay. Best wishes to all of us for a successful September. Smuhhh, thanks for starting this.

6. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

I'm in. Here's to a dry month for us all... cheers! :tu:

7. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

Here we go! I had two beers last night as a farewell... and honestly didn't enjoy them much. Good luck everyone.

8. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

I had a bit of a craving for some alcohol tonight, but didn't cave. I am just going to go to bed instead. Having beer and white wine in the house probably isn't going to make this easier, but I am sort of inspired by it too. :confused:

9. Ecrivain

Good job staying strong. :tu: I think it's especially meaningful to abstain when there's alcohol in the house. Today, I've been having the craving myself. There's a bottle of Bushmills in my cabinet calling out to me. But I'm staying away from it. :nod:

A nice cool glass of diet ginger ale is almost as good. :lol:

10. angell

angell Active Member

One week done guys:)
    Just to make the challenge harder, I got a free bottle of wine at work (from a social event thingy), and in addition, some friends that was over in the end of august left some beer and stuff. So, I'm doing this with access to alcohol, but I think I'll be just fine. I already recieved my first "why on earth are you doing that?" comments, and I quickreply "Because I can, can you?" ;)

Stay strong:)

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :(

Sadly, I stumbled last night and gave into cravings so I'm not going to be able to complete the month without alcohol. That said, I do intend to make this a one time blip and abstain for the balance of September.

12. Ecrivain

It happens. I'm glad to see you've acknowledged it and are rededicated to finishing the month clean. You can do this.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks E!

14. AlfredJones

AlfredJones Active Member

Hey! i just stumbeled across this but i have been avoiding alcohol for sept also! i have even went out twice and so far and just had juice... glad to see others doing this too. Its so hard for me i usually drink 2/3 times a week... When i asked for Orange Juice at the bar last night the barman looked at me blankly and said... "...and what!?"...

15. Ecrivain

Welcome to the challenge! Sounds like you're doing great. You're a braver man than I. I'm not sure I could handle going to a bar without drinking. I'd rather just avoid the situation.

16. angell

angell Active Member

This weekend my wife and I are going to have a hotel weekend without the kids, thank god I talked her into taking the challenge with me:)
    Halfway through now guys, stay strong! If you have stumbled, get back up, and finish the race. To fall is not faliure, not learning from your mistakes and getting back on your feet is:)

17. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

I gave in on the 7th as well. I was at a welcome home party for a friend I hadn't seen in a while and decided to drink a few... I regret it now becuase I really wanted to do this month 100% sober, at least I haven't touched a drop since. I think 29 out of 30 days is pretty damn good for both of us though :tu:

I really want to make it through one of these Sober Challanges, but I have one, if not two events in October that alcohol with be too appealing and November and December are bad canditates for it as well. I will probably try again in January to do one full month sober, heck maybe I'll do two or three.

#17 smuhhh, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  18. Ecrivain

You know, November's going to be a bad month for sobriety for me, too. But part of me wants to try it just to face up to the challenge. I mean, hell, if it were easy, we wouldn't have to test ourselves like this, would we? Why should we only attempt the goal when it's going to be easier?

On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to spend that much time around my family during the holidays without the support of whisky. :confused:

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, 29 out of 30 ain't too shabby. Neither of us will be able to state that we fully met the challenge of the SSC, but for all intents and purposes we'll be reaping the positive physical benefits of abstaining for the entire month so that's a good thing.

It's going to be a tough weekend for me and I'm definitely a bit nervous about it.

20. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

Crap, I am such a loser, I totally drank again last night. I feel like complete crap today. Every time I have had any booze in the last few months I have hated it, so I think that sobriety is going to become a pretty permanate part of my life now.

I have screwed up another sober challange... I don't know why I can't make it through a month without drinking... It's almost as if I am scared to. I went for a lot of years drinking a lot of alcohol and it pisses me off that I am having a hard time kicking it even though I clearly do not enjoy any aspect of it anymore.

Oh well, I have no intention of drinking for the remainder of the challange, and I might cancel a camping trip I was going on in October in attempt to go sober for that month.:bang: