1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

squats

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by doordude42, Dec 12, 2005.

1. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

Squats, deads and powercleans are the best. I've noticed my posture is improving by performing these lifts.

2. Glaive

Glaive Well-Known Member

I agree with everything posted about the awesomeness of squats.

That said, I still hate doing them. The only exercise I despise more is lunges.

/shudder

3. Frozenorb

Frozenorb Well-Known Member

I started off with dumbbells by the side and as I went up in weight on them I found my grip getting weaker. Now I squat with the barbell on the back and find my workouts to be way more intense and have that "walking" problem. LOL

I can't quite say I see strength gains overall but I changed the way I'm doing my workouts and have been logging what I've lifted and I'm going up. So maybe the squats helped out in that? I dunno, too many variables changed for me to tell. All I can say is my legs are definitely stronger than they were before.

Today was leg day and I'm glad it's over. I really didn't want to workout today because of Squats.

4. Obadiah

Obadiah Well-Known Member

Nonetheless, your post is a good reminder to all of us. I'm getting to like - not enjoy - squats. However, after doing my leg routine - squats, leg presses, calves, etc., I am physically exhausted. I can work my upper body all day, and while I'm tired, it's nothing compared to a hard day working the legs. I'm nearly out of commission for the rest of the day and somewhat tired the next day following my leg routine.

However, working one's legs clearly induces the body to further produce growth hormones and activate other essential physiological responses.

I'm working to discipline myself enough to allow sufficient time for proper recovery. I feel good pushing myself and my inclination is to go back the next day and try and do more, which of course, is totally counterproductive. Anyway, good post.:claplow:

5. Alamswim

Alamswim Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble going down all the way for full squats. If I try to squat with no weight, while keeping the leg's straight instead of bowing out, I end up rolling back. If I try to keep the legs pointed forward with the toes doing the same, my knees feel horrible...
    What can I do?

6. Glaive

Glaive Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that you were supposed to have your toes slightly pointed outward (as opposed to feet being completely parallel) when doing squats.

What makes the exercise so effective is the sheer amount of muscles it involves. Going through the full range of motion with correct form is what makes it difficult, and thus creates growth. If you can't go all the way down (thighs below parallel to the floor), then use less weight, or even no weight, until whatever muscle is too weak strengthens enough so that you can.

I had an ex-girlfriend who wasn't in particularly bad shape but had really uneven muscle development. She literally couldn't squat. Her legs couldn't hold her in that position and she would fall backward every single time. Needless to say this made it basically impossible for her to do deadlifts or clean a barbell. I tried to help her restructure her workout to strengthen her legs and bring them up to where the rest of her body was, but unfortunately she gave up before she could really achieve good results.

7. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

No man, you're not alone. I love squatting.

8. webalienz

webalienz Well-Known Member

Is it strange/unusual that I can leg press three times as much weight as I can when I do my squats? I go with two dumbells as well and I'm not using that much weight. But I'll then get on the leg press and have no problems at all pushing the weight.

I know they're not the same exercise, it just seems weird that I can do a lot with one, but not a lot with the other.

9. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

Remember with Squats you are not only also doing your own body weight as well as the dumbbells but also dealing with gravity. That's why leg presses are easier.

10. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Leg press is much easier than squat. The squat makes your back work a lot more.

You want to find out something even weirder? Try pistol squats. They are closer to leg presses because they don't load the back that much. And yet you will be able to pistol squat only a tiny fraction of the weight that you can leg press.

And one other thing. If you are using a 45 degree leg press then you are only exerting a force equivalent to 71% of the weight you loaded on it. So 500 pounds on the 45 degree leg press is really only 355 pounds of resistance. (This discount does not apply if you are using a vertical stack leg press, though.) In other words if you can squat 400 pounds, you should be able to 45 degree leg press noticeably more than 570 pounds.

11. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat as you on this one. This morning, at my workout, I did 470# on the leg press but the most I could squat was 180#. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I weigh 175#. When I try to go up in weight on the squat, my knee starts to hurt and I can't go all the way down. I'm kind of afraid to try higher weights.

12. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

You want to hit the glutes more. O.K....change the bio-mechanics of the movement.

Dumbell users, try this.. if you can

Grasp a dumbell in each hand. ( Weight is up to you but I wouldn't go heavy to start with unless your in stellar shape).

Now, balance on one foot with balance leg straight.

Bring other leg straight up behind you while bending forward at same time so you end with freeleg and torso parallel to floor.

Use your arms and the dumbells for balance.

Now slowly bend balance leg and go down for a squat.

At first you will notice that your knee goes ahead of your toes but if you don't like this, with a little bit of practise you can "sit back" in the movement so it doesn't.

How deep you go is up to you.

Toes and foot should be pointing straight ahead.

Come back up and as you do simultaneously lower freeleg and straighten up torso so that your freefoot meets your balance foot exactly at the end of movement.

This one burns the glutes amongst other things and forces leg stabilizers into play.

13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah this is a variation of the dumbell speed skater squat. If I understand you correctly, I would call it a a dumbell front scale squat.

You can also row the dumbells in that version, or fly them.

If you do the pistol style one leg squat, (which gives the hip flexor a workout too), then you can do raises and shoulder presses with the dumbells.

There is a version of the speed skater squat where the free leg goes sideways and that focuses on hip abductor and adductor.

This series of exercises is one where a little bit of dumbell goes a long, long way.

14. lordkovacs

lordkovacs Well-Known Member

I have been doing squats since day 1 of my transformation, and I notice a huge difference in my legs... right above me knee actually is starting to look defined! I am losing a lot from my thighs, and feel great after every leg workout. I just recently discovered the benefits of other squats, such as side squats and back squats! Course you all probably know of them, but I just knew of the ones where you stay stationery.

Peace,
    MIKE

15. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Technically not going all the way down is supposed to be harder on the knees. ATG squats are the king of squats (IMO) but really hard to do. They're humbling in that you can't use as much weight as when you go parallel.

Do LOTS of stretching before banging out squats.....especially the hams.

2 plates under your heels may help in the short term.

Figure out where you are weak in the ROM. Box squats and bottom squats (off the pins) can help. I'm weak in the hole so that's my focus right now....glutes and hams.

16. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Leg day!!! UGH!!!!:doh:

17. mrpilotguy

mrpilotguy Well-Known Member

I love squats too, and I use dumbbells. Lately it's been impossible to maintain my grip through all 4 sets (85 lbs in each hand), so I use lifting hooks after grip failure.
    The nausea, the funny walk...call me a masochist, but I love it!

18. tdunne

tdunne Well-Known Member

I gotta ask - how does a squat using dumbbells differ from a deadlift? Are you holding the dumbbells up near your shoulders?

19. philph

philph Well-Known Member

I started doing DB squats just a couple of weeks ago, following improvements in my knee problems.

I wear big leather outdoor gloves, and though this may look ridiculous, it makes it seriously easier on the hands, even at my noob weight :)

20. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

A squat pushes and a deadlift pulls. A squat is a quad-dominant movement while the deadlift is a hip-dominant one. A squat sits back while a deadlift stands up -- major difference. A squat starts in an eccentric while the deadlift starts in a concentric. A deadlift's eccentric isn't emphasized while a squat's is.

No matter where you hold the dumbbells in a squat the movement is quite different. You may want to go back and review the exercises. :tu: