1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

squats

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by doordude42, Dec 12, 2005.

1. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

This is more of an observation than a question. I've been bulking since Sept. and have gotten some good results. I've tried to come up with an explanation for my steady weight and strength gain besides the obvious caloric surplus. I thought it may have something to do with my age or coming off a cut that was borderline fanatical. Today it dawned on me. Squats. During my cut I rarely squatted because of a lower back injury. I've since systematically incorporated them into EVERY leg workout and WOW!!!!! My whole body's growing.
    I realize this is common knowledge for most people here including myself but I felt the need to stress the importance of this immensely effective tool. Squats are truly the king of ALL excercises. DO THEM!!!!!!!!!

2. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:tucool:

3. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

I have to do squats today. I hate them.

4. Oranzith

Oranzith Well-Known Member

i dunno, i never squat and my body is ballooning

JUST KIDDING KIDS!

5. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Trust me, they're not my favorites!!!!!!:bang:

6. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

I don't mine back squats but i'm really starting to hate front squats.:mad:

7. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Pain! :drool:

8. quaker

quaker Well-Known Member

I definitely have a love-hate relationship with them. I hate them at the time, but love the feeling of finishing a heavy set (and the results, of course).

9. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

I agree. The squat is the cousin to King Deadlift as far as great compound lifts go!!

10. AnonIMust

AnonIMust Well-Known Member

Since I am new to the lifting game, as well as trying to recover from a bad back, perhaps an obvious squat question or two:

I currently can only use dumbells to do squats. I have been hoisting them up and perching them on my shoulders to try and replicate a bar. It occurs to me that this mimics a front squat a little more than a rear squat, and I concur that I do not feel it in the glutes much, but do feel it in the hams. I need the help with strengthening glutes more I think, which leads to ......

It also occurs I maybe doing these wrong. I just checked exrx and they illustreate the db squat being performed with arms at the sides. Do the experts here have a preferrence on technique, especially with regard to targetting glutes more than hams with dumbells?

(Bear in mind, the weight I am squatting here is embaressingly insignificant for now.....)

11. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

When I began squatting again I started with dumbells in each hand hanging down at my sides. I found this very effective. If I had access to unlimited weight dumbells I would still employ this technique. I find it alot more comfortable and safer than a barbell.

12. sc7389

sc7389 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one here who actually likes squatting? It's an awesome feeling when you can barely, just barely get that last rep of a really heavy weight up.

13. AnonIMust

AnonIMust Well-Known Member

Great feedback. So if you assume that had heavy enough DBs, you believe you could get a complete squat work out using the arms at sides method? It seems it would not provide as much rear resistance as a bar on the shoulders. I'll try it tonight.

14. Coachese

I agree that does feel great....it's the nausea and the 'taking 10 minutes for the 5 minute walk' back to work that I don't like.:flex:

15. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Exactly. I find it much more comfortable than the bar across my back. The only problem is once you get into heavy weight, your arms my fatigue before your legs do.

16. swole

swole Well-Known Member

I am with you 100%. Barring no physical problems, I believe they are essential.

I hated them at first, but now I actually look forward to them. I vary the rep scheme and weight enough to keep it interesting. Maybe I am a masochist, I don’t know, but the feeling of strength coming up out of the hole when you are pushing that weight north is what drives me. The results drive me too.

17. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Good advice Michael, I agree, dumbells down by the side.

18. Coachese

Yeah, that was going to be my question....there is no way in hell that I could hold enough weight to do squats with DBs -- but I get tired of the cage. Would this be the time to implement the DB wrist straps?

19. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Sounds good.:tucool:

20. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member