1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

squats - parallel not necessary?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by wh0rume, Dec 7, 2006.

1. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

A squat isn't like a jump.

Regarding squat power output: If a powerlifter could get more power generated by squatting lower, he would. However, he doesn't.

2. cajunman

cajunman Well-Known Member

A few quotes:

3. cajunman

Why do you qualify the running as "high volume" but don't qualify the deep squatting? High volume running is riskier for the knees than high volume deep squatting. Low volume running is riskier for the knees than low volume deep squatting.

Quote from Stefan Jakobsson:
    (Very interesting!! Stefan Jakobsson DOES NOT attribute his knee problems to deep squatting!! He attributes his injuries to improper positioning and POWER JERKS! Power snatches and cleans have been discussed by many Oly lifters as being damaging to the knees because the catching the weight in the quarter squat position was believed to increase the shearing forces! JV Askem specifically recommended that power cleans be used mostly for warm-ups precisely because of the forces on the knees. A power jerk is also done from a quarter-squat position!)
    ((SQUAWK!!))

As far as Walter Imahara (who has been competing continuously for over 40 years), you are certainly welcome to email him for his opinion. However, I doubt he is against deep squatting or shares your view that only Olympic lifters should do it given that he is a good friend of Gayle Hatch, who is a disciple of Alvin Roy, who first introduced the Olympic lifts to strength training for other sports. Coach Hatch’s Olympic lifting programs have been used by collegiate football, baseball, and basketball teams.

I think the picture that between the two of us, YOU are the one who has suffered a knee injury is a pretty good one. I think the fact that you suffered it climbing stairs after running is a nice touch.

The little lady is an endurance athlete. Played club soccer in college, has run marathons, done triathlons, skiied black diamond slopes. She has also had ACL surgery and must now run long distances in a neoprene knee sleeve to be comfortable.
    Now, the longest run I ever did in my life was maybe five miles (there are a couple 12-mile ruck marches in there too), I've probably run 4 miles in the last year (2 miles twice), I ski the bunny slopes or the blue circle/green squares (and have 5-year old kids doing figure eights around me), YET I have NEVER had a knee injury, and do deep squats with heavy weight!! (Of course, according to you, my knees will explode at 60, and I will drag myself around on a skateboard, but still RIGHT NOW it's kinda IRONIC, ain't it?)

4. cajunman

A powerlifter will squat PRECISELY as low as he needs to to have the lift pass in his federation in competition.

However, in training he will train PAST that depth to develop greater power and acceleration at that depth. The concept of low box squatting is precisely similar to doing pulls while standing on a plate or doing pulls with 35s or 25s on the bar instead of 45s.

My personal competition philosophy:
    Opener: BURY
    Second attempt: 1" low
    Third attempt: On the money or "a pubic" high (which is why I try to bury the opener and take the second attempt convincingly low, hopefully you have built up enough "good will" that the judges believe your lift is good when it's borderline)

5. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

Well you're correct in that regards. It is very important to squat deeper than the range needed to ensure proper power. What I meant though is in competition they do perform a better lift by only going as low as they need to.

6. cajunman

An interesting quote from Karoliina Lundahl, Finnish female Oly lifter and collegiate BYU shot-putter, on full squatting vs. half squatting: