1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Squat program?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by bradh, Apr 30, 2006.

1. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Ahh, they're short routines, I see.

I didn't mean any offense, was just trying to help. :)

(Great stats by the way! :tucool: )

2. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Chris i know what your up to, no good. :lol:

No problem dude most of us here are here to help. :)

There all fullbody and involve %90 compound work, so i guess the core of the programs never changed a whole lot.

btw the Jamaican Jerk turned out great - i will continue to play around with the mixture. If anybody knows the amounts please post, my cookbook just gives you the ingredients.

Its for poultry - chili powder, garlic, thyme, cinnamon, ginger and salt.

I just rubbed it on the damp breasts and threw it on the BBQ. :)

Note: Go easy on the chili powder and ginger unless you like very spicy food.

3. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Well, TBT is a 8 week program, Waterbury Method is a 4 week program and Quattro Dynamo is a 3 week program. Not sure if Canada's using "Bodybuilding's Next Frontier" high frequency system or just his high freqency guide. Those are longer and kind of open ended once you get into the two workouts per day stages.

Chad recommends changing stuff up quite a bit. I did TBT 2x, then he recommended Waterbury Method followed by Art of Waterbury. I'm about done with Art, and am trying to decide what to do next since my time at home with access to weights is going to be limited due to work travel soon. I might just go back to TBT for awhile.

I've made good gains with all of them from a strength standpoint.

All of the ones I've done are similar in theory, so it isn't like you're going from one style of training to another. His high frequency stuff is a bit different, but on those programs you work into the frequency.

EDIT: I see this has all been explained before I had time to post. Teach me to pay attention to my posting and not my real job ;)

#23 MannishBoy, May 3, 2006
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  4. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

I was curious. :D

I know that his TBT is 8 month, I thought about it after, but decided that I didn't really need to edit. :p

Anyways, good work Canada. I probably should have asked "What sort of progress did you experience?", but those stats aren't too bad.:tu:

I found that having a variety of exercises that all fit into my program, but that I don't do all the time, works very well for me. I'm still cooking up what I'm going to be doing for this upcoming summer, but I have a pretty solid idea now.

5. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

That's the beauty of TBT for me, too. You have a "menu" of exercises, and you just fill in the blanks on what you do which workouts with a small set of rules. That way, you customize it to what equipment you have available (important in my home workout room), goals, weaknesses, etc. I like to always keep changing stuff, so I've enjoyed TBT better than WM or Art, although WM gave me some really good strength gains on the focused 10x3 exercises.

6. cajunman

cajunman Well-Known Member

7. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

:cry: I really want to make a run for it and was looking at "Big Mike's" template that you posted only lastnight actually but i think i should take it easy and let my shoulder heal and my lower back has also been aching alittle. Its easy to run but i really try to remind myself i want to do this for life.

To quote Dr. Lowery again;

I'm thinking of going on a demanding circuit type routine next week to let my aches heal and get rid of my last bit of bodyfat. But those goals should be reached in 2006. :)

I know, i know, my bad. :D

8. cajunman

cajunman Well-Known Member

All good. Shift fire, and keep those goals in mind. Got to listen to the body. :tu:
    (Still have plenty of time left in 2006...:nod: )

9. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

I have taken a lot of what Chad Waterbury has said and put it to work. It seems to work well to me to cycle through my exercises, instead of doing a very rigid routine. I also enjoy those 10 x 3, using loadings about 85% and resting for about 45s.

10. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I want pics!!!! :(

11. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Huh. Seems like your bench (250 = 1.16 x 215) is really low for those big arms (and 18" is pretty big). Or was this a typo?

12. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Your right Zen, when i first started to train they were just under 17inch and i just measured them(cold) and i lost 3/4 of an inch, i assume its because of fatloss. The reason i thought they were bigger is because there more cut.

Oh well, no reason not to include bicep excercises in my booster shots now. :)

18" is my goal now considering i have close to 2inches to go. :doh:

Here's the booster shots i'm refering too.
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1063194

13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well size is one thing to think about. I'm thinking more about strength. You have a no fooling deadlift, so we know you are strong, and can do the things it takes to be strong.

Given your weight and large arms (16" is not nothing either), I think it's more likely that something like your program or technique is robbing you of a bigger press. Not that I'm saying you need to have the biggest press you can possibly have - but I think getting up towards 1.5 x BW is a reasonable goal. Especially that you already have the 2xBW deadlift. I sort of think that a bit bigger press would help you increase your arm size in the long run.

Added Later: I read the Waterbury booster shot thing. One thing I completely agree with is this part:

I can normally lift only two or three times a week. Work capacity has been a huge benefit for me.

#33 zenpharaohs, May 23, 2006
    Last edited: May 23, 2006
  14. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Yeah, i like Waterbury's stuff Zen. My bench isn't progressing simply because i haven't been benching. :) I strained my shoulder awhile back and i'm taking an easy on the presses.

15. Shane Reid

Shane Reid Well-Known Member

Didn't want to make a new topic. But I find going basicly Butt to ground easier then stoping at 90 degree's...Is this bad form? I feel like, I'm useing the extra bounce in going down that helps it back up.

This make any sense to anyone? Overall it's just easier for me to go ass to grass.

16. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Bouncing. :nono: ATG should be harder and should limit your maximum. Slow down and pause at the bottom.

17. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

OK you are recruiting your stretch reflex response. What happens is that when you stretch the tendon of a muscle, then that muscle contracts. This uses nerves that are fired from the spinal cord - not under conscious control of the brain. There is no way to recruit those neurons except by speed.

Now because you are going all the way down, I don't know whether it's your glutes or quads which you are firing this way. If you weren't going down as far, I'd bet quads.

Here's the bottom line. You will get told not to use the stretch reflex response by weightlifters. But jumpers will tell you it's the only game in town.

Where I come out is that by getting a tempo for my long squat sets that gets some quad stretch reflex response, it's worth about 5 extra reps at 225#, more reps at lower weights.

There is no reason I can think of that you don't want to recruit these neurons in a maximum squat, other than chic says you don't want to. I don't think a lot about maximum squats.

18. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Recruiting the stretch reflex with a quick turnover is perfectly okay in my book, zens. :tu: However, I'm afraid since Shane is going ATG that he's bouncing through his knees, not making good use of the stretch reflex. It can be hard to tell the difference and I wouldn't want him to injure himself by doing it improperly.

He never mentioned maximum squats. I'm talking about regular training.

Well, technically weightlifters would tell you use to the stretch reflex. Weight-trainers and bodybuilders may not. ;) (I'm just being an ass right here.)

#38 chicanerous, May 30, 2006
    Last edited: May 30, 2006