1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Squat, Me Skinny?

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by FatLenny, Jan 30, 2012.

1. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

What?

Hey that title was better than the first one I came up with:

Squat You Say? I Grunt Hear You...

Anyway...

I decided to start a new journal mainly, because I feel like I have moved into a new phase of my transformation, if you want to call it that. The days of fast and heavy weight loss are most likely entirely behind me, and I am looking forward to a different kind of challenge.

I am sure things will not go forward as I envision they will, but that is part of the experience. I have been chugging along losing weight for the last 18 and a half months. I've seen lots of bumps in the road and lots of downhill slopes. I still, somehow managed to go from 336 pounds to where I am now, 217 pounds. I feel good about that.

I am so close to hitting my original goal of a body weight of 200 pounds that it smells like bacon... or whatever.

The last 2-4 months have been a rocky road at best. I've experimented with a lot of things without a lot of the same success toward that weight loss goal that I experienced so easily in the first 14-16 months. I have been looking for a way to light that fire again and get to the physique that I want, and I may have found it.

At some point in the last few months I started toying with increasing my total workload in a few ways in the gym. I also took my caloric intake from 3000 calories/day to 3800 and back down to 2600 for a week or two at a time. I've played around with macro distribution, sodium intake and even micro nutrient supplementation and distribution. I really didn't see much change in my results until these last few weeks and, most notably, this past week.

In the process of tweaking pretty much everything I do a little bit at a time, I landed in an odd place and got results this week that I have never gotten before. I even double checked my measurements and triple checked my calculations. Let me share with you, first, this past week's nutrition and exercise plan.

Nutrition

Typical Daily Targets:

Calories: 2800
    Protein: 200g
    Fat: 100g-120g
    Carbs: 200g-250g
    Sodium: Managed but not precisely determined numerically (usually <3000mg)

I have also been doing a 48 hour re-feed on most weekends. These consist on Two main targets:

Carbs on day 1: 4-6 times LBM
    Carbs on day 2: 2-3 times LBM
    Fats on both days: 20%-25% of total calories

I've been doing something very similar to this for a long time, but I am finding that the 48 re-feed suits me quite well, and I usually feel much stronger with very little bloat or weight fluctuation compared to re-feeds I have done and heavier body weights. Nothing really oddball here. I did drop my calories back down to 2700-2800 and I'll most likely be staying there until weight loss stalls since it seems I have historically done well in this range.

Here is where my habits have changed dramatically:

Training

Weight training 5 days per week.
    Squat 5 days/week (3 days of back squats and 2 days of front squats).
    Deadlifts once weekly.
    Bench Press twice weekly(mainly DB Bench due to my should issues).
    Foam rolling, mobility work and shoulder prehab 5 days/week.
    Assistance work added as I see fit.
    At least 10 minutes of interval training (Medium to High Intensity) at least once weekly.
    Day 1 and Day 2 sessions are 90 minutes.
    Days 3,4 & 5 are 60 minutes, give or take.
    Day 1 and day 2 are heavy days, low rep, high volume and minimal assistance exercises.
    Day 3-5 are heavy/low rep on squats and add in medium intensity/high volume assistance work.
    Workloads are high on days 1 & 2 and medium on days 3-5.

So....

Most of this comes from my efforts to increase my overall workload and has been a pretty natural progression. There are really only a few new things here. The interval training on the treadmill is fairly new, but not the biggest change. Really, I feel like there are only two major changes that are making a difference. One is training related and one is nutrition
    s related.

What are they?

1. Squats 5 days a week

and

2. Fruit

The first is self explanatory. I squat every time I enter the gym. Period.

The second is a little, not much, but a little more complex. I have added in a cup orange juice at breakfast, an afternoon snack of a cup or so of blackberries, and an evening post workout treat of 1-2 cups of blueberries. Everything else nutrition-wise I have tried before.

I have avoided fruit juice for this entire journey and only really been sporadic in my fruit consumption, and even then I usually opted for the bright fruits like bananas and apples(which, oddly enough, seem to irritate my tummy). Now that I am juicing(lulz) and switched to dark fruits, I feel more peppy and am seeing great results.

What results?

This week I gained 0.4 pounds in the last 8 days. Yep. I gained 3.4 pounds of lean mass and dropped 3 pounds of fat! Seriously.

I've seen some recomp in my year or so of weight loss, but not at that level. Not even close. I'll post pics from last week and this week as soon as I make time, but I can say with confidence that I can see the difference in a single week. It is really bizarre.

I also matched my lifetime PR on back squat at a 1RM of 385 (hadn't been able to hit that number in the past 7 months) and matched PBs on DL after 30+ reps of heavy back squats two weeks in a row.

I'll be sticking to this regimen for a least 3 more weeks to see if I can duplicate the results.

Let's see if I can squat myself silly. :moon:

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

That is a lot of squats, especially with all the iron that you put on the bar. :bow:

Tropicana sells something called Trop 50, which is OJ, but 1/2 the calories, and has no artifical sweetener. It tastes pretty good too.

Good luck with the new journal.

3. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Yer makin' the man, proud, Lenny.

[​IMG]

4. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

I felt so inspired while reading your introductory post. I love squats but the idea of doing them every time I train never crossed my mind (doing push ups which I hate has:confused:) Will watch your progress closely.
    Good luck:tucool:

5. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

You look good at 5'10" and around 200 lbs. But a recomp never hurts.

6. Laneage

Laneage Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. user786

user786 Active Member

:claplow::cool:

8. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Who the heck is that?

I don't look too bad when you cover up the flab with clothes, but I could absolutely feel a ton better and that is the target here. :tu:

:lol:

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Best wishes; as always I'll be following along.

10. cookeecrumbs

cookeecrumbs Active Member

Whoo hooo for phase 2 :)

11. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Dammit! That would have been a much better title for this thread...:mad:

12. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Dan John.

13. cookeecrumbs

cookeecrumbs Active Member

I wasn't trying to sprinkle on your celebration... just happy for you :D

14. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

FL...you're one bad momma jomba....:neener:

Bob

15. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Oh, this is gonna be fun to watch! :dreamy:

16. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I'm sorry.... did she say tinkle? :lol:

After today I am debating whether it makes more sense for me to only use back squats. I seem to be having trouble with tricep flexibility which causes grip issues on the front squat. My other piece of logic is that I can move quite a bit more weight on back squats...

I am no longer pursuing cleans due to my own stupidity, really. I tried to max out on cleans before I had the elbow whip down and ended up jamming my wrist painfully. I still do not have the ability to do a power clean because of this. Every time I try, I find that there is significant pain in my wrist. I've subbed high pulls instead, though.

So why Front Squats?

My only sensible answers are for the increased carry over to real life, to give my low back a bit of a rest, and to back off workloads without backing off perceived effort(since Front Squats require much lighter weights). Are those three reasons enough to make front squats worthwhile? Do they outweigh the frustration of my grip woes?

We shall see.

Here is my workout from today.

Actually, that is my entire January work log, for what its worth.

:tu:

Food Today:

Calories: 3676
    Protein: 229.5g (25%)
    Fat: 83.2g (20%)
    Carbs: 504.9g (55%)
    Sodium: 3452.5mg

Day 2 of a 48 hour structured re-feed. Not entirely clean, but 90% so. Works for me...

Back to the grind tomorrow. :D

17. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Hmm... reading to do there. Thank you!

Dan John looks like he is the bad momma jomba judging from that website of his. Thanks, Bob!

:whistle:

18. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

Your knees are going to hate you. I squat heavy 3x per week while on a deficit and I'm considering backing off to 2 days, or at least do my days like this: heavy, significant deload, heavy.

Best of luck. I hope it works out well.

19. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

You've kicked a lot of ass the last year or so. Good job man, and you're insane for squatting 5x a week, in a good way of course.

20. user786

user786 Active Member

How Are you doing your front Squats ? are you using the powerlifting or bodybuilding cross armed grip. i find the powerlifting
    type grip fairly uncomftable and requires a lot of wrist flexibility .