1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Squat Form

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by digitalnebula, Apr 16, 2013.

1. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I need something to test/check my all around squat form.

The only thing I have ever done is the one with a broomstick facing the wall....and looking in the mirror
    It checks posture and hip flexibility...

Does anyone have youtube links or otherwise about ways to self-check squat form?

(I don't really trust the average gym-Joe to critique proper squat form, bar path, etc....)

I mean, I guess I could video myself....but that would be more involved than I want and would also involve putting the bar down.
    I am looking for some neat trick or exercise to provide real-time feedback where I can make correction as I am doing it.

#1 digitalnebula, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  2. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

video your damn self! :whistle: lol honestly though i don't think you'd regret setting your phone up somewhere and just watching a few sets. i think you're athletically inclined and have trained enough in the past to have a better eye for where your form is fucked than you think. you'd be surprised what just a quick playback between sets on your phone will show ya.

3. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I know...:o

I am worried about some things on form...post-knee-destruction...

- is my ass staying right in the middle of my hips? Or am I favoring my stronger, left side?
    - Am I pronating with my right side? (I feel like my knee may be drifting)
    - I know I am doing a bit of a GM out of the hole....do I need to worry about it?
    - Is the bar following a reasonable path? Or am I "piecing" reps together?

Shit like that...

I figure once I break over 200 for sets....I need to get more serious about form...

4. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

funny cuz these are ALL my squatting issues as well.

i think trying to have a majority of your reps be nice form, but sacrificing a bit once in awhile when you go heavy is how i'd play it. honestly the "athletic intuition" ..... which for some reason i assume you have....... goes such a looooong way in knowing what your body is capable of and when you're crossing a line that is more harm than good. know what i mean?

do the video thing though. it's huge. and front squat more. that helped me a lot. deep front squats will humble ya and kick your ass at a low weight and really help with the mobility and flexibility issues in the hips n stuff. least that's my experience with going mostly fsq for a year.

5. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

This! ^^ :nod:

Thanks for the reminder.....I need to start getting in some squat derivatives...:nod:

My hip mobility is gawd-awful after not squatting for real for....ohhhhh....6 years! :o

6. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I would think you would need to video yourself from the side,

The bar travelling up and down in a straight path would be key.

I like the bar resting on my lower traps. (Low back squat).

I also like to stretch my Achilles tendons before squatting....which makes for a little more ankle flexibility. Ankle flex is pretty important to get down "ATG" or as close to "ATG" as you want to go.

From the side the bar should travel straight up and be over but never ahead of the ankles..

I don't worry if my knees are ahead of my ankles or feet or any other "blarney". I'm never looking at my knees when I squat anyway.....I'm always looking ahead and just slightly down.

If you are bending too far forward it will show up in the video.

I have a piece of red tape around the exact middle of the bar. It is about one inch wide. This way before I start I can get grip distance equally spaced and also center the bar on me.

It is good to video for form. The untrained body (or one that has taken a layoff) will always be looking for the easiest mechanical advantage that it can get away with, based on the condition of muscles and available flexibility at that particular time.

This could spell injury if certain muscles are compensating for other weaker muscles and sub-par flexibility.