1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Squat, deadlift and bench guidelines

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by KT Monahan, Oct 20, 2009.

1. null

null Active Member

are standards independent of age?

Would you hold to these standards independent of age? Twenty years from now, are you going to be playing it by ear or are you going to try to maintain your standards?

Certainly the aerobic pulse ranges change with age...

On the other hand, the standards on exrx.net etc don't mention age...

2. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Well, Zen here in this thread I think is 50. He's pretty strong and in good aerobic shape as well. 20 years from what age are you talking about?

3. null

null Active Member

Dang Zen! Maybe I should have said 40 years from now :P

Are there any charts of this kind ( ____ x BW ) that mention age? Shouldn't there be, just as there are with pulse rate? Don't you think there is some age range relative to current life expectancy at which we can no longer say "Just train smarter and for a few more years and you'll be able to deadlift 2.5 x BW"?

Is it just that there hasn't been enough research for this? (This would be hard to believe)

Or there hasn't been enough demand for such a chart because [Really, what small sliver of the population is ever going to be able to lift more than they weigh compared to the masses interested in aerobic exercise?]

4. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I assume the ExRx chart is for anyone age 18-60. If you're beyond that and can still hold a barbell, it's good for you too. The standards are already adjusted for age in the sense that the older you are and the heavier you are lifting, the smaller the population of lifters in the top categories is going to be.

You seem to be thinking about some kind of norm, which would be a different ball-game, i.e. what could be expected in comparison to some average. There have been studies done on that. Off-hand, I remember a thread on the issue -- though on a likely less scientific side -- in which an excerpt from a popular men's magazine was posted, claiming that the average adult male can do something like three pull-ups, bench his bodyweight, run about two miles, etc.

#44 chicanerous, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  5. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

This thread comes up everyonce in a while(not complaining though), here is post I made the last time:

Squat: 125-150% of Bodyweight x 15-20

Deadlift: 150-175% of Bodyweight x 15-20

Trap Bar Deadlift: 150-200% of Bodyweight x 15-20

Bench: 125% of Bodyweight x 6-8

DB Bench: 45% of Bodyweight x 6-8

Chin up: Bodyweight+25% x 6-8

DB Row: 50% of Bodyweight x 6-8

Overhead Press:75% of Bodyweight x 6-8

DB Overhead PRess: 35% of Bodyweight x 6-8

Dips: Bodyweight+25% x 8-10

I'll also take a look at Rippettoe's Practical Programing book, he has a list in the back.

But right now my numbers are like this
    Bench- 1.16 :(
    Deadlift- 2.07
    Press- .7 :(

According to PP, I would be at a novice level for the Press, lower end of the INT. for the bench and the higher end of the INT for the dead.

I haven't done the squat in a while so who knows about that.

The cool thing about Zen is that he probably included his numbers on the bosu ball thing.

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

If your lifts aren't getting better with age, then they are getting worse.

Seems to me one of these is preferable to the other.

7. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well I didn't but since it's come up, single stiff legged barbell deadlift on inverted bosu - 1.34xBW.

8. cajunman

cajunman Well-Known Member

The reality is that your bench and squat will take a hit between 40 and 60. Deadlifts can stay close (maybe 75%). If you are stronger at 60 than you were at 40, then you sucked at 40.

9. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've heard other people say that too. Any theories on why squats and bench go to hell before deads?

10. cajunman

cajunman Well-Known Member

Joints. Throw in a bench shirt, squat suit, and knee wraps and the numbers stay closer.

Edited to add: why many older lifters love their gear - allows their numbers to stay close, and protects the joints (in their eyes).

11. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's a slightly misleading comparison to make (for squat and bench, at least) because those numbers have come from equipped lifting. It's not uncommon for lifters to be able to get 0.5-1.0xBW out of a squat suit.

12. JoeSchmo

Plus, those ratios change for bigger lifters. You won't get a 300+ pound guy hitting those kind of numbers.

13. JoeSchmo

Interesting....certainly makes sense.

14. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I just checked the GBPF (British IPF) affiliate records. There is not a single 3*BW squat in the unequipped records. The closets is 220KG at 75KG. I guess there are equipped lifters that could do this, but who choose not to lift in the unequipped competitions.

In any case, my point is that a 3*BW drug-free, unequipped squat is world class and that 2*BW is a fine achievement for any "regular" lifter.

15. gamut

gamut Well-Known Member

Christ, that's a lot of weight. 1.5 in the Bench is going to take me years.

Currently, I do SS sets (3x5 & 1x5 for DLs) at the following:

Bench: 0.96
    Squats: 1.47 BW
    Deads: 1.92

This is after 3 months of strength training (3x per week, no diet). I've been stalled pretty hard in the Bench, and the Squats are getting noticeably heavy on the lower back. Deads are just fun; I think I must have good body proportions for them. 26, male, 5'11", 78kg/171lbs (about 15-20lbs overweight by my own reckoning).