1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Spring Training (March - May)

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Ecrivain, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Week 01 Weigh-in: 219.6
    Week 02 Weigh-in: n/a (spring break)
    Week 03 Weigh-in: 222.7
    Week 04 Weigh-in: 223.8
    Week 05 Weigh-in: 217.4
    Week 06 Weigh-in: 221.3
    Week 07 Weigh-in: 217.2
    Week 08 Weigh-in: 219.9
    Week 09 Weigh-in: 221.2
    Week 10 Weigh-in: 221.6
    Week 11 Weigh-in: 226.3
    Week 12 Weigh-in: 219.6
    Week 13 Weigh-in: 216.2

It took me 13 weeks, but I finally managed a mostly-clean weekend. Hence, this doesn't show a loss so much as it shows my normal weight. To celebrate, I may go raid a buffet. :lol:

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:spank:

You should celebrate with a picnic lunch here. :dreamy:

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Start: 184.8
    Week 1: 183.2
    Week 2: 189.1
    Week 3: 183.6
    Week 4: 185.2
    Week 5: 183.1
    Week 6: 183.7
    Week 7: 181.5
    Week 8: 178.4
    Week 9: 180.9
    Week 10: 180.7
    Week 11: 180.3
    Week 12: 181.9

From Dictionary.com:

Fail: to fall short of success or achievement in something expected, attempted, desired, or approved.

Epic: of unusually great size or extent.

Epic Fail: Seltzer's performance in the Spring Training Challenge.

My original post mentioning my goals:

The last time I checked 181.9 is more than 175 so I can't point to that as a success.

I think I did okay on the strength part, but between training for my endurance events and changing up my lifting routines it's hard to determine. So we'll go with a maybe. At best there was a moderate increase, but nothing more than that. Although my bf% decreased during the challenge my LBM loss in absolute terms was 2.1 pounds and my fat loss was .8. Not really a great ratio. :( My conclusion is that I did not meet my goals. The upside is that I know precisely why.

In closing I want to thank my friend Ecrivain for suggesting this.

4. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

The Awards Ceremony

I'd like to thank everyone that participated in this challenge. I'd also like to thank those of you that cheered us on from the sidelines. There's power in numbers, and the support from the group always helps.

There were 16 individuals that started with us. Of those, 6 saw it all the way to the end. Three months is a long time to stick with a regimen. I know we all didn't achieve the goals we set, but I still think there was value found by participating. I know I learned a few things about myself in the process.

I think those that persisted deserve recognition:

phillydude - You put your heart into your training. You showed that sometimes we need to shift our priorities for a larger purpose. What you lost in your own personal goals, you gained in leading a young man down the path to a healthy future.

Paddy - Your cut has been long and deep. Your efforts have been the very definition of persistence. That you did not reach your exact goal is not the result of a lack of dedication, but from setting an aggressive target. You should be proud of your results.

Seltzer - During the course of this challenge, you trained for and completed a marathon and a century. I think that is considered success in anyone's book. Everything else is gravy.

livedog - It has been a joy to watch you achieve your racing goal. Congratulations on your accomplishment, and I wish you all the best in reaching your future goals. As with Seltzer, I think everything beyond that is a bonus. You've done remarkable work.

imelda - I dub thee The Pull-Up Queen! Your encouragement and enthusiasm have kept this challenge positive and energetic. You absolutely nailed your pull-up goal. In fact, you surpassed it. Extra credit for you!

Congratulations to all of you! Thank you so much for joining me in this endeavor. :tu:

5. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I looked up "Epic Fail" in the dictionary. I didn't see your picture. So you're good in my book.

BTW... while I had the dictionary out, I checked that old phrase "cleanliness is next to godliness." It's not... "godlike" is next to "godliness." I'm going to remember that the next time the wife bitches about the condition of the house.

It was a pleasure. And I also want to toss an "attaboy" out there to Paddy. Well played, sir... a worthy opponent, you are. I owe you a lap of the River Drives, followed by a cheesesteak of your choice, sometime this summer.

6. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words, E. Without the knowledge shared here by you (and Seltzer, Philly and Paddy) I wouldn't have had the tools available to do it, and to get where I'm going.

Thanks for putting together the challenge!

7. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Gee, sorry I didn't post on the last week; lightning fried my modem and I have just yesterday gotten back online.
    Thanks, ecrivain, for the nice words and to everyone else who was an encouragement. You know, sometimes being faithful to post even when failing to meet a goal can be helpful to others. Who wants to feel that they are the only one to fall short of the mark? So I'm grateful for everyone who shared their experience, good or bad, and for doing it with such good humor. THIS WAS FUN!!!!
    Anyway, I finished with 5 pull-ups and 20.5 b.f, so I don't feel half-bad about my results.:)

8. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Great job! See you in the Summer Challenge!