1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Spreadsheets

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by daveo, Jan 27, 2004.

1. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

This is another version of the spread sheet thread that's in the Fat Loss forum. I think it makes more sense to be in the Nutrition forum, personally.

I'll start with mine. It's got a menu (food w/ nutritional info) some templates (blank 'day-o-food' template with all kinds of calculators and counters built in, as well as some sample days of food), and a few logging worksheets.

For the most part all you have to do is copy, paste, and insert cells. The color coding should stay the same, but if you don't care about that it's even easier! If you have comments, positive or negative please post them!

UPDATED 2004-02-09
    I added some graphs and fixed some of the color coding. This should work better for anybody interested. Also, I made this with the OS X (Mac) version of Excel. If you have Windows, Excel might get a little confused when you try to open it -- don't worry about that, it should still work if you hit Cancel! I'm willing to help!

This version also has more real-world entries, not that I'm the one to be following, but it should make using this spreadsheet a little easier!
    :gl: :eat:

Attached Files:

#1 daveo, Jan 27, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  2. Amino

Amino Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've got me one too.

Well, the first sheet of 4 is 'Measurements':

Pretty simple sheet this one as you add a date, and stick in your overall weight and measurements into the appropriate column. Bodyfat is calculated and displayed using the Military Method (which is described within these forums) from these measurements.

The second sheet is Body Composition:
    This follows a pretty simple rule, you have 'Actual' and 'Target'. Here, when you have entered your measurements and weighed yourself on the previous sheet, some of the information is transported automatically into this sheet once you add the date into the date column. As your overall weight and bodyfat % have already been calculated, you are told your lean bodymass and fat mass straight away. Your targets are entered manually i.e. Target bodyfat % and Target lean mass. Calculations are then made for your overall weight.

You have the option also to indicate how much lean mass you would like to add a week or how much fat you would like to lose.

Then you enter a starting date for your new regime and depending on what your target is, you are literally given a date followed by a number of weeks and even months to reach that target. All based on information supplied.

Below this section you have program, which is basically logging your current details. You stick in todays date, it checks your measurements, overall weight and bodyfat based on information supplied in the measurements sheet, calculates how much fat or lean mass has changed and you can follow your progress to tell if you're behind or ahead of your target.

Shock of all shocks I have a nutrient page for foods called 'Foods & Nutrient Value'. All based on 100g values, protein, carbs and sugars, fat and saturated, mono, poly, omega 3, omega 6, trans, fiber, sodium, potassium salt and finally calories. Calories is calculated automatically depending on protein, Carbs and Fat content. (THE LABELS ON FOODS LIE!!! some foods can be almost 20 calories out...)

The 'meal planner' is a piece of work. Took me friggen ages to get this thing going. The formula I had to use was ridiculous.

Here you enter the number of calories that you want to eat in a day, it breaks your numbers down into 6 meals you can spread throughout the day. You can enter the ratio of your choice which then displays how many calories of protein, carbs and fat you can eat per meal and in turn, tells you how many grams of each you can eat too. It also tells you your overall consumption throughout the day and what the final ratio was to see how far you are out, if at all.

All you do here, is copy a food name into any one of the 6 available meal slots from the 'Foods & Nutrient Value' sheet, which in turn have plenty of space for multiple foods. Once you have entered a number of grams of that particular food, the sheet drags across all the nutrient information and displays the correct amount of grams of each macronutrient alongside calories.

Each meal has it's subtotals and informs you if you are below or above your meal allowance, and by how much. On using this, I've found that I'm almost always down on fats.

There you go, a full description of my Spreadsheet. I could do with creating a graph of course for that visual aspect and I'm sure I'll do that in the future.

Thing is, it's nearly 4mb in size! If anyone is wanting this, my msn name is meddlingmodeller@hotmail.com. Add me to your list, message me and I'll upload the file to you.

All the best for now!

Craig

3. Two Step

Two Step Well-Known Member

Another way.....

I would love to get a copy of that spreadsheet you have designed, but I don't use MSN. Do you have an AIM screen name.......or perhaps you could post the file to this site somehow?

4. Amino

Amino Well-Known Member

I have since updated this and now, you can select the food you want from a drop down list. All you need to do then is enter a number of grams that you want your food to consist of.

Easy peasy.

Also, the reason the spreadsheet was 4mb is because I was uploading it via Trillian, a chat program, while the file itself was open. I can only presume that trillian was uploading this in an uncompressed state.

The file is actually 150k.

If you still want the file, my details for chat forums is on my personal profile...

Craig (Amino)

5. James_JJK

James_JJK Guest

Amino, its only 150k now? Are you now able to email it with hotmail? I saw you emailed me back but I dont have icq or messenger...

6. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

Email?

Or to make things easier on yourself (you, Craig) you could just attach the file to a post. That'd let people download it at their leisure. Unless you'd like to keep control over who gets it, which is fine by me :)

7. Amino

Amino Well-Known Member

LOL, I thought I had attached it!!! hahahah

Yeah, silly me. I actually thought I had attached the file and wanted to leave my details incase there was some confusion over how it was to be used.

My misworded post sucks more than a black hole on steroids. (God, it really made me look like a control freak. lol...)

Here we go, Spreadsheet included... Although it sits inside a zip file now because I can't post .xls format files in here....

Ha, and now i've just zipped the file, it's only 30k... Oh how zip files make my life simple... LOL

Craig

This one has since been removed and replaced by the much better version. If there are any questions, do not hesitate to ask....

#7 Amino, Feb 15, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  8. Danielle

Danielle Well-Known Member

Thank you Amino..

You did a great job with that spreadsheet and I wanted to thank you for sharing it with us all! . :bow: I almost had a heart attack though...it came through with your data etc and I erased your weight and height and entered mine and it indicated I had something like 34% bf!!! I hadn't entered my measurements yet though. :p

Cheers,
    Danielle

9. Amino

Amino Well-Known Member

Very welcome. Although, thing is, I'm already updating the target analyzer... wanted it to be more automatic. Now, the base values are set to the most recent date that you entered your measurements on the measurements screen. All you have to do now is enter your targets and it will automatically be evaluated.

:-)

There is something to be taken into consideration if you are female, there is another calculation that the women use. Danielle, I will add this for you and send it.

#9 Amino, Feb 15, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  10. Amino

Amino Well-Known Member

new version

I've got WAAAAAAYYYYYY too much time on my hands.

Attached Files:

11. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

New version!

Well it's been about a month now and I've got the latest version available. I don't even know how different it is from the old version so give it a whirl. Please leave feed back if you love it or hate it.

If you have suggestions I'm all ears :nod:

Attached Files: