1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Split vs. full body for successful transformations

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by KT Monahan, Feb 27, 2012.

1. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

When you read various websites and books, it seems like the general consensus is that spilt routines are for more advanced lifters, for bodybuilders, or for those on steroids. That for people looking to get into shape and transform their bodies, full body or an upper/lower splits are the best way to go. But when you read anecdotal evidence such as the transformation spotlights here or on BB.com, it seems like most of the transformations you read about, the majority have been successful with split routines. John here has mostly employed split routines I think and we are all aware of his successes.

Personally, I've never done a split routine. Mostly because if I miss a workout, I'd like to be able to get back into the gym and see that every muscle gets worked as opposed to missing a workout for this reason or that and my "chest" or whatever goes 10 days without getting hit.

But, am I on to something here? Have others noticed this as well?

2. all_natty_baby

all_natty_baby Active Member

Hey i was about to ask the same question :lol:
    By the way i have never seen someone making progress with a fullbody workout 3x/week. So far all the transformations i've seen were made with split workouts. I wish someone could give me an exemple of a transformation with a fullbody (so i would know that i'm not training with the wrong method :lol: )

I'm sorry for my english i'm french :)

3. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I don't know how many people do that. If lets say you're on M/W/F and you miss W then you just do W on the next day and adjust.

I think most people over time do everything. Different set/rep ranges. Splits or full body.

People tend to get to wrapped up in looking for perfection. It's more important to do something. I doubt many of us are so close to our limits that we need the perfectly tuned workouts to improve.

At some point whatever thing you're doing will stall. Changing things will help. It's important not to change too often but sooner or later you'll have to change.

4. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

This.

5. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

I think it has to do with the adage that everything works, but nothing works forever. That using a split during your initial transformation is fine if you have your diet in check. I'm just noticing a trend that the "prevailing wisdom" is splits aren't the best choice for beginners, but that just about every transformation story I read has the person using a split.

I know it all comes down to signaling to your body to hold on to its muscle while working to lose fat. Splits can do that if you are consistently getting your workouts in. I just find the trend I stated above noteworthy.

6. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

It could be people thinking full body are "old fashioned". I remember that sort of view a few years back.

7. Euphonicus

Euphonicus Active Member

I have tried bodypart splits, full body, upper/lower, and what I've come to enjoy the most are movement based splits. Right now I'm doing a full body push/pull split, three times a week which comes out looking like:

Push/Off/Pull/Off/Push/Off/Off
    Pull/Off/Push/Off/Pull/Off/Off

over a two week period. I like this if strength is your primary focus, because it allows you to hit your lower body every time you work out while still generally giving most muscle groups at least 4 days to recover from specific focus.

For bodybuilding purposes and higher volume training some people may need more recovery time than that. In this case, either dropping it down to one push and one pull per week, or using the classic "upper push, upper pull, legs" split should work.

8. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I can't say my excrement is non-odorous, but I have used full body workouts almost exclusively throughout my 'transformation.' Not to say that I'm ripped yet, but it seems to be working well... even 18 months into the deal.

Now if you'll excuse me... I'm late for a date with the squat rack. :tu:

9. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

Stats: I stand 5' 10". Started at 336 lbs and 49% BF. Currently 215.8 lbs, 19.8% BF, a fire under my bum that can grind out some serious squats.

I would say so. :tu:

10. tigers86

tigers86 Member

When I first started I would do total body 3 times per week. I'm glad I started off this way, because it gave me a good idea of which muscles would be sore the next day and how much time I needed to rest them. Once I "figured my body out," so to speak, I switched to a split routine and haven't looked back.

11. Terps01fan2006

Terps01fan2006 Active Member

My 2 cents has been a full-body routine if trying to lose weight. Also cardio would be incluided in the big picture of things. It would be mostly compund lifts, getting the biggest bang for your buck so to speak. Deads, Squats, Presses, Rows, Dips, Pullups, you get the point. There are many variations of these exercised that you can do from w/o to w/o (stiff-legged vs conventional deads, front vs back squats, horizontal vs verticle rows.) Getting into a split routine isnt a bad idea, either.

At the macro level, however, diet is king. I was following Darden's HIT for a while, seemed to have some success with that program. Google it if youre not familiar.

12. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any advantage of fullbody over split or vice versa.

With ONE exception.

A split routine can unknowingly deliver you into the realm of "overtraining" especially if you are a card-carrying live-in gym rat, because now you have all the more time to wreak havoc on yourself daily.

That said (and I use splits myself) if you know what your doing either style is o.k. IMO.

It's possible to overtrain on both.

A fullbody program is usually more concise...simply because there isn't enough time in a workout to do the amount of extra exercises you may do in a split.

Which is good.......because more often than not a lot of bodybuilders are doing a ton of exercises they don't need in any given week or at all.

Splits let you focus a bit more without the rush of "getting it done".

I like splits personally.

13. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

My opinion is if you are going to commit and not miss a training session for several weeks or months, then a split will work very well, especially if your poundages are going up every 1-3 weeks.

If you have too many missed workouts, where you are going to train 1-3 times per week, then a full body workout might be the best deal. If this is the case, compound movements should be the focus.

However, you stated that you've never tried a split routine. Give a split a shot for 8-12 weeks, maintain a training journal, and make sure your nutrition supports your goals.

14. stallion16

stallion16 Well-Known Member

The correct answer is that both splits and full body work as evidenced by tons of people who have had success with both. You have to find out which workout style meshes with your lifestyle and preferences at any given point in time. Both types are just tools to be used when needed. Don't marry yourself to one routine.