1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Speedster - if I write it down, will it help? We'll see.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Speedster, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Speedster - kicking my own butt!

Well, here's my journal.

The Problem: Constant alcohol consumption every day after work for about 3 months straight has ravaged my body. According to our scale I'm at about 22 percent body fat.

The Goal: Burn fat, at least maintain muscle. Building would be neat, but cutting fat is essential.

The Stats:

Height 5'9"
    Weight: 170 lbs
    BF: 22%

The plan:

Morning LISS 4-5 times a week, weight lifting 3 times a week with HIIT on those days for brief treadmill runs.

The initial training:

I've been waking up at 5:30 a.m. and going for a morning run. I've got a Nike+ iPod sport pack that tracks my distance. I'm between 2 to 3 miles for runs of between 20 to 30 minutes, depending on if I'm on a flatter area or I choose to go up some inclines. I've got both options around where I live.

Afternoons, usually after work, I come home and lift using the universal gym that our apartment complex clubhouse provides. One I pay down our credit cards significantly I intend on getting my gym membership back (had it from Jan. -June this year) so I have free weight access again.

So far this week I've done:

Day 1) Pecs, Triceps, Shoulders, Abs
    Day 2) Lats, Biceps, Delts

To do tomorrow, Oct. 25:
    Day 3) Legs, Abs

My diet:

Based on my above stats, I should be consuming between 1800-2100 calories a day to lose a pound or two of fat a week. The calorie change depends on if I'm moderately active or extremely active, according to Marcus' Guide to Weight loss in the Introduction & Advice for beginners forum (http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24).

I've chosen to go around 1800-1900 per day to see how this works.

I've been on this diet plan for about two or three weeks and honestly I haven't really seen a noticeable change in weight. I've been running for the last two weeks and didn't really see a change, either.

Now I'm incorporating lifting. I thought part of it might be that I have significantly increased my water intake, so I'm far more hydrated than I was when I was boozing it up all the time. I am taking a multivitamin (for now GNC's Mega Men Sport though I know there are mixed reactions to GNC but I hear that vitamins are basically the only thing they're good for. I'm considering Animal Pak next).

Here's a sample of my diet from the last week:

Monday
    M1) Egg whites, 4 ounces orange juice (tropicana light'n'healthy), 2 pieces whole wheat bread, 1 cup fat free milk, half an avocado, 2 ounces of chicken breast
    M2) Pure protein bar, apple
    M3) 1 can tuna fish, baby carrots, 2 slices whole wheat bread
    M4) 1 scoop ON Whey protein - strawberry, 1 cup fat-free milk, 1 can V8 vegetable juice
    M5) 5 1/4 chicken breast, peas, 1 tablespoon olive oil

Calories: 1835.4/ fat: 37.65g (18.46%)/ Carbs: 204.7 (44.61%), 32.7g fiber, 93.8g sugar/ Protein: 177.7g (38.73%)

Tuesday
    M1) Three egg whites, 1 cup fat-free milk, whole wheat bun, 1 Tbsp Adam's natural peanut butter
    M2) Habenero beef jerky - 2 oz, Apple
    M3) 12 slices Buddig deli turkey cuts, 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1 cup baby carrots
    M4) Protein bar, V8 vegetable juice, whole wheat bun (half)
    M5) Turkey burger, brown rice, Romaine salad with cucumbers, tomato and red onion
    M6) 1 cup fat-free milk, peanut butter

Calories: 1947.5/ fat: 39.9g (18.44%)/ Carbs: 241.55 (49.61%), fiber 29.6, sugars 89.85/ Protein: 159.35g (32.73%)

Wednesday
    M1) 1 cup fat-free milk, 1 slice whole wheat bread, half a banana, 2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
    M2) Habanero beef jerky - 2 oz, apple
    M3) 1 can tuna fish, 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1 cup baby carrots
    M4) Pure protein bar
    M5) Pre-workout: 1 scoop ON Whey, Grape juice - 4 oz
    M6) Sirloin steak - 4 5/8 oz, Corn on the cob, 1 cup fat-free milk

Calories: 1913/ fat: 41.05 (19.31%)/ Carbs: 212.4 (44.41%), fiber 24.6g, sugars 121.8g/ Protein: 181g (37.85%)

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated. If I'm on the right track, awesome. I sure hope so.

#1 Speedster, Oct 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  2. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Well, Day 2 of this here journal. Today I'm throwing up some before pictures. These are from a few weeks ago. I don't really believe I've changed much since these, honestly.

But I've been running almost every day (4-5 times a week) and now this week I really started lifting. Maybe in 2-3 weeks from now if I don't see any change I'll start worrying?

Today was a decent day. The universal gym thing they've got at our Apartment clubhouse most definitely blows. It's probably from the early 2000s or mid-1990s. It's not bad for upper body work but it provides very little in the way of options for getting a good leg workout.

Today was legs. I probably couldn't have done more than I did, and I'll remember that next time. I went from the leg press immediately into leg extensions (that part of the machine was the worst part, no matter where you sat the back position it was awkward to do the workout). I went back over to the press for calves.

After legs I did 20 minutes on the elliptical with a 1.5 minutes sprint at the very end at level 9 (I was doing LISS at level 5 for most of the 20 minutes).

Here's some pics to keep myself accountable. You'll notice that I'm a bit lopsided. My right shoulder is lower.

That's because about four years ago I tore my rotator cuff ... playing basketball, ahem, and lost a significant part of my range of motion for about a year. Bunches of pain. At the time I didn't have health insurance (long story) so I wasn't able to get it thoroughly checked out for more than a year. I probably could get unlopsided if I focus on my traps, right? My brother believes that side is lower because it's weaker, but my right arm is my dominant arm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

More from today ...

I woke up sore as all get out in my biceps and my back. My lats, not so much, so I gotta figure out a good exercise for those that'll do it. I don't have a way to do pull-ups as of now but I think that'd do it. *EDIT* - I take it back. My arms are just so sore I didn't even notice the lats and I wasn't really moving them. I went to stretch on a door frame before using the restroom and they are indeed sore. I loves me the sore, makes me feel like I did something worthwhile.

My biceps usually don't get sore. They're actually one of the best parts of what I work out. So I'm pleased they're sore today. Means I really got to them.

I'll be editing this same post later with my day's food.

The food for the day (haven't had the nighttime shake but I will).

M1) 7:30 a.m. --- 1 cup fat-free milk, three egg whites, whole wheat bun, 2 oz avocado
    M2) 8:45 a.m. --- Pre-workout ON Nitro Core 24 (never had it before, I got a sample with my most recent purchase at BodyBuilding.com. They every so often throw in samples. I"m sure other places do it too.)
    M3) 11:30 a.m. --- Habenero beef jerky (2 oz), whole wheat tortilla, half an apple
    M4) 2 p.m. --- Chicken breast (5 1/2 oz), corn on the cob
    M5) 4:30 p.m. - 1 cup fat-free milk, 1 scoop ON Casein protein, half an apple
    M6) Chicken breast (4 1/2 oz), mixed veggies steamed, half a potato
    M7) 1 scoop ON Casein protein in water, 1 Tablespoon olive oil

Totals:

Calories: 2097
    Fat: 45 (19.31%)
    Carbs: 235.5 (44.92%)
    Protein: 209.7 (40%)

#3 Speedster, Oct 25, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  4. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

I'm sort of addicted to this here journal. At least for the weekend, I suppose. These are my lazy days. Despite the fact I work out, at least on Saturdays, I don't do much else. It's a day to just be calm and collected. I'm a journalist and right now it's crazy for me (See: Election Season).

A story about my health:

I was always a skinny kid. Definitely an ecto morph.

I was about 125 on good days. I played football for nearly a whole season but it just wasn't for me. Way too small. The beginning of wrestling season began before football was over so I switched over.

In high school I wrestled at 112 pounds but at one point I had trained my body so well to not in take food that I ended up not being able to eat at all. I'd start to chew on food and I'd gag on it. I lost a bunch more weight. I once weighed in for a match at 106 pounds with all my clothes on.

Eventually I was out of school for two weeks because I couldn't eat. I went to the hospital and had to be rehydrated. It took me awhile but eventually I got over not being able to eat. It was definitely a psychological thing in many ways. What helped me get through it was playing the piano. Any time I'd get nervous or not be able to eat I'd go sit at the piano and play.

In college part of my class schedule included Learn How to Guzzle Beer 101.

I definitely received an 'A' in this class.

I met my future wife and we partied a lot with friends.

This is also when I decided to start lifting for the first time. I went from 125 pounds to 145 pounds. I still looked pretty skinny, though. I mean, when I wrestled I basically had 0 percent body fat. I was way unhealthy.

Drinking pretty much got me to about 10 percent body fat.

By the end of college I was at about 150 pounds and at 12-13 percent body fat.

We moved away from family and friends for my job. We were doing pretty good but drinking even more than college. Now was a time where we had no book learning to do or studying for tests. It was easy to go to work with a hangover 2-3 times a week. I was probably at 16 percent body fat now and I weighed 160 pounds.

At the end of 2007, my wife and I decided we'd do what everyone does and found ourselves committing to a New Year's resolution. On Jan. 3, 2008 we got in to the gym. We paid for 6 months at a time to give ourselves good incentive to go.

And it worked pretty well until about the beginning of June. We lost track, we took trips. We also ended up not being able to afford to pay for another 6 months.

About that time at the end of June we started drinking basically every day. It got really bad. 6-9 beers a day. On the weekends even more.

As of Oct. 1 I weight 172-173 and I had about 22 percent body fat.

That's when I said to myself that it didn't matter if I didn't have a gym membership, I was going to eat clean and start running and lifting.

I usually wear a size 32 pants and I can't fit in them. I can't really afford to get a bigger pair, either, so I just have to get back down to that size. Period. I'm probably around 33-34, so it's not that bad, but it's very uncomfortable to wear those pants. At home I only wear shorts, really.

So that's my story. As of this morning I weight 170 pounds and had, according to the scale, 20.5 percent body fat.

Let's see where this goes.

5. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Sweet mother of mary I woke up in the middle of the night and my biceps are even worse. My left one especially is so sore it feels like someone put a steak knife in it.

Yesterday I relished in the soreness because I knew it meant progress. But today I want to be able to move my arms!

Anyway, today I weighed in at 169 this morning. I'm down from about 172-173. Good times.

6. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Today was supposed to be a lazy day. And for the most part it was. I've been eating clean all day and intend to continue. However, I did drink the last bottle of beer in our house.

It was a Trader Joe's Bavarian Heifeweizen. I have no idea what the calories were, so I estimated it to be about 150.

I watched the football games on today (and pissed that the World Series --- I don't like baseball really, or at least enough to watch it --- took away from Sunday Night Football) and then decided that I should go run that bottle of beer off.

Went and did a 20 minute run on the treadmill. I was a bit gassed, to be honest. Ran about 15 minutes, 1.88 miles. Walked the last five minutes of it at a higher pace got to over 2 miles.

While I'm not necessarily super happy I drank the beer I'm not overly worked up about it. Seems like getting super upset will only hurt me in the long run. This is now really the third time I've consumed alcohol in three weeks and this is the smallest amount in that time --- 1 beer! That pleases me, considering I was drinking 6-9 a night for three months.

I'm pleased at my overall running goals, too.

I have the Nike+ iPod Sport Pak and I can set goals online at nikeplus.com. So far I've beat my first several goals: 2000 calories in 4 weeks (did it in 2 weeks), 6 miles in 4 weeks (did it in three days), 10 miles in 4 weeks (did it in a week). And my hardest goal, 5 runs at less than 9 minutes 59 second pace in 4 weeks is coming along. I've now got two of those under my belt. I'm technically on run behind pace as I'm two weeks into that goal and shoudl have done three. I intend to do the third one tomorrow morning and I'll be on pace.

I set up some new goals today, too: 20 miles in 4 weeks; 3200 calories in 4 weeks.

And now I'm off to Costco for more chicken breasts and some frozen veggies.

7. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

A good workout today.

Chest, triceps

I definitely gained some strength since my workout last week. I was able to do more reps at the weight I did last week and did some reps at a weight higher, too.

Problem with the universal gym here at our apartment clubhouse is that the plates don't have the weights written on them. I'm not entirely sure how much they are. I'd like to think they're 20 pounds each but I doubt it. Maybe 15.

Hovering around 2,000 calories today. Looking a little low on fat today (so far at 14%) so I may eat a Tbsp of olive oil with my nighttime protein shake.

My knees are sore, joint pain i think. Maybe 6 days of running last week was too much? I didn't run today to see if it helps.

Biceps still sore from last Friday's workout!!!

8. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

A good run today. My longest to date: 3.4 miles in just under 32 minutes.

My knees have been sore, however, since the weekend. I've been trying to rest up a bit and did so Monday. No run.

Today I just had to. I ended up doing the run but afterward I'm really hurting. Maybe I should rest a bit more?

9. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Today I woke up extremely sore. My knees, the joints, killed me. I hobbled around all day at work. Not fun.

It's an overall rest day for me as I'm intensely tired. Like a bad person I went out drinking last night. So I'm back at day 1 of no drinking.

One of these days I'll have to sign up for one of the no drinking challenges around here. Should help me move forward.

10. Yurup

Yurup Active Member

No day like today :)
    If you are determind to run while having sore knees try buying and using one of those kneebands. Those realy help me when having soar knees not just because of their effect but also because I do my movements knowing I have protection alowing me to do them correctly instead of subconsciously doing them in a bad way.

Good running!

11. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Thanks Yurup, I'll definitely look into some knee bands and other equipment!

12. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Both knees are a bit stiff today still but my left is actually still in pain. I actually felt great this morning. I did try to jog across a crosswalk I was crossing with the light going against me and my knee nearly gave out lol. Just weak as if it was telling me "Look, dude, I'm not working right now till I get some more rest, alright?"

This evening i've got the sharp pain again in my knee and it's weak.

A rest day overall. Went and donated plasma. Ate half a piece of Pizza Pipeline pizza and it was effin' delicious.

My scale told me i was at 20 percent BF today. THat's down from 22 percent. Not sure the accuracy but the change is promising.

13. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Hey speedster, keep up the hard work! Hope those knees are feeling better. I know I had knee issues and it turned out to be the running shoes that were causing my pain. I went down to my local running store and got fitted for a pair and viola...no more pain.

14. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Thanks for the tip, Jason. I'm definitely going to check out shoes I'm just not sure when. The Nike Shox I have now are somewhat spendy and I don't really have the cash to get a new pair.

The weird thing is my knees never hurt after treadmill runs, just outside on the sidewalk. I was thinking it was because I wasn't used to the outside running on that hard surface?

... Woke up to 19.5 percent body fat.

15. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Halloween was good to me but not to my goals. I think you know where I'm going with this.

Seeing as how I went as Hunter S. Thompson, there was very little I could do to avoid a night of debauchery.

Meanwhile, my knees got even worse yesterday and NO RUNNING! It's really just hard to rest them and lay ont he couch like i think I probably need to. I also wore a pair of Pumas last night that are very flat on the bottom with very little give and we were walking all over downtown last night. I woke up this morning hobbling again.

This shouldn't be happening to a 24 year old!

16. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

A strong lack of working out lately. A strong amount of drinking alcohol. I've lost my motivation. It's been tough times around here. Of course, we had Halloween, but my job is centered around the election so it's been hectic. I've not had a lot of time. Lots of personal stuff, like bills piling up. Lots of stress.

I need to get back into the swing of things. Just gotta figure out how to do it.

17. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Two weeks in to my new workout a and I'm feeling pretty darn great.

I feel like I know what I'm doing but I'm not sure. Since I'm considered "skinny fat" it seems that I'm not losing fat/weight as fast as others.

I started this at about 175. I got some body fat calipers (the old version of what John Stone uses, not his newer, fancier ones), and best on an average of those measurements, my scale and the U.S. Navy's waist to hip ratio I'm at 22.9 percent body fat.

So I'm trying to be patient. I'm definitely toning up. My arms are pretty hard and I'm feeling good in the gym. I'm doing basic 12-minute HIIT sessions on the bike post-lifting (but not every time).

I'm consuming between 1800-2,000 calories with a near 40/40/20 split, though I've found getting fat into my diet has been a challenge. I've started having two tablespoons of natural peanut butter some days. I'm consuming a tablespoon of olive oil, too, on some days. Today I had avocado, about an ounce, in guacomole for breakfast with my slice of whole wheat bread and 4 egg whites. Yum!

So far so good. I'm pretty excited about my upper body workout today.

18. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

A good upper body workout today.

I still have a very weak bench press. Maybe the weight I do doesn't matter, but I think it does. It bugs me that I have such a weak upper body because of this stupid shoulder injury. Permanent arthritis in a 24-year-old shoulder is lame. I think part of my issue is mental and perhaps because I've never been able to bench a lot and I'm on a calorically-restricted diet it's hard to get past my plateau. I'm working on it.

Anyway, it looked like this:

Chest:
    Barbell bench press: 1X10, 1X7, 1X7, 1X4
    Pec deck: 1X10, 1X8, 1X5, 1X3

Biceps:
    Standing EZ curl bar curls: 1X10, 1X8, 1X4, cooldown set of 10 reps (that burrrrnnnnnnedd).

Triceps:
    Cable pushdowns: 1X10, 1X8, 1X6

Lats:
    Lat pull downs, machine: 1x10 (130 pounds), 1X8 (150 pounds!), 1X5 (170 pounds!!!!) Hey, I know it's a machine, but still made me feel good heh.

Shoulders: (shoulder popped and had a pinching feeling even doing really light weight, 10 pounds! I decided on two sets, one of 10 pounds, one with 15 pounds then I thought I should probably quit)
    Side lateral raises: 1X10, 1X8

Now it's time to go make some lemon garlic shrimp on a bed of brown rice and a nice green salad with red wine vinegar and pepper. Yum!

19. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Thank God I didn't get back to my New Year's health goals until Jan. 5 because I'd have had to take off some points from the 100 point challenge I intend on doing in February, and a challenge I intend on being perfect at.

Last night I had 2.5 beers. The .5 is because as I was drinking it I got sick of it and put it down. I just didn't want the beer any more.

Those 2.5 beers were consumed over a period of about 4 hours while we hung out with friends. My diet yesterday was perfect except for those. I didn't eat out while at the bar, because I had made dinner before we went out.

I still got eight hours of sleep but it wasn't on my normal schedule. Of course, it's also a rest day.

Needless to say I'm not trying to make an excuse and I was still disappointed that I drank at all. It was definitely hard to be out with friends and not drink, so I gave in. I'm still working on it.

So, I'm resting and getting ready to go donate plasma, and I need to eat breakfast. I'm eating clean today while I hang out. Don't really have plans and that's fine with me.

I'll probably hit up the Wii Fit at some point. The hula hoop really kicks my ass.

20. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Today is a cardio day after I watch the Eagles and Cardinals (go Cards!) game.

Thought I'd post a few of what my recent diet looks like. It's pretty consistent except I'm trying to tweak it to get more healthy fat in the diet. I've been reading that 10 percent fat or lower per day is bad for you and you should try to aim for 17-20% so that's what I've been working on.

Here's Jan. 5, the first day of my new diet:

[​IMG]

Here is Jan. 15, where I've tweaked the fat a bit. I think my carbs are usually a bit higher than this, too.

[​IMG]

That carb smart tortilla is definitely not a HALF as I marked it, lol. I ate a whole one and the calories are correct, I just never removed the "HALF" from the time I did have a half and I copy and pasted it's info then adjusted calories.