1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Specialk Never Fails

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by specialk, Feb 1, 2007.

1. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

It's about time I started a journal to keep track of my progress while on my journey to a healthier lifestyle. I've been at this for two years and I am glad that I became aware of my ability to make changes that improved both my mental and physical well being.

My first entry is a bit somber. Mid December I had come down with pneumonia and was finally starting to feel better when last week I caught another cold that turned into an upper respatory infection. (More antibiotics) This is really putting a damper on my exercise regime.

On a positive note, I will be going away with the family to Punta Cana for a week the end of the month. I am really looking forward to the trip, so currently my health is my top priority.

#1 specialk, Feb 1, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  2. specialk

Today started out with me sleeping in past my scheduled am cardio so I had to arrange my fasted cardio for after work. (I had slept in because I have had a cold for over a week and I really needed the rest). I went to the doctors and was prescribed an antibiotic for my upper respiratory infection. I will be taking the "February 100 Challenge" slowly and try to heal while maintaining my diet. I will reintroduce weight bearing exercises as my health improves. Hopefully by Monday.

Attached Files:

• Ken.gif
      Ken.gif
      File size:
      445.8 KB
      Views:
    #2 specialk, Feb 2, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  3. specialk

I did it again, I decided to do my fasted cardio between my 4th and 5th meal. 40 minutes on a stationary bike. I ate all my meals with the right macros. As I mentioned in my earlier post I went to see my doctor and he ordered an x-ray of my lungs. There is almost full resolution in my lower right lobe. (I had pneumonia in late Dec. in this area of my lung) I might be out of the woods after all. I do expect to start lifting next week but I'll be very cautious with the volume and amount lifted.

#3 specialk, Feb 3, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  4. specialk

I did my fasted cardio on schedule this morning. It was extremely cold & windy and there was a sheet of ice on the sidewalks. I had to be extra diligent with my footing and even though I was being very careful I still had a couple of close calls and almost landed on my backside. I ate according to my macros and have been tracking fitday this month. I'm surprised how much I eat and how tedious it is to account for everything. I'm not complaining though. I'm still hoping that I will be able to lift on Monday although I'm still coughing up a lot of junk.

#4 specialk, Feb 4, 2007
  5. specialk

I woke up and did my fasted cardio again this morning. I took my dog, Lucy, for company this time. Again it was icy, cold and windy. After I got back I planed out my meals for the next few days. I then realized that I had been using the wrong measurement for my protein powder. Instead of 23g/1 cup I have been taking 46g/2 cups. I corrected this on my past fitday posts and the difference was an extra 120 to 240 calories more per day. No wonder I was not seeing the loss than I am normally accustomed to during a cut.

#5 specialk, Feb 5, 2007
  6. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Surely it's not "fasted" cardio if you're doing it after your 4th meal? :confused:

7. specialk

Gazareth,

I'm glad you asked about pm fasted cardio. Yes, in one sense an 8-10 hour overnight fast would be the ideal situation for the body to be in a true fasted state.

Here's what I have learned about pm fasted cardio.

I eat my 4th meal around 3:00 pm and do my 40-45 minute LISS cardio around 6:00 pm. That's 3 hours since I have not eaten. Typically it takes the stomach two hours to digest most foods. The idea of eating small frequent meals supports this belief.

I prefer am to pm fasted cardio, but sometimes I will do it when it's convenient for me.

8. specialk

I woke up to another cold morning and dragged myself out of bed to do my fasted cardio. I have been able to do my cardio outside for now and will continue to do so unless it becomes impossible. IE. 2+ feet of snow. Even though I'm uncomfortable and cold, I still find it more enjoyable than being inside on a machine.

I also lifted for the first time in a long time. Everything went well and I felt I could handle it. I then did deads and I felt winded and a bit dizzy. This sensation passed and I continued to push on. The only other time I felt uncomfortable was when I was lying on my back and was doing ham stretches. In this position all the junk in my lungs seemed to flow into my throat and I finally had to end the session.

My meals were on time and tracking exactly what I eat has given me a good picture of how much I need eat in order to loose fat.

#8 specialk, Feb 6, 2007
  9. specialk

Once again I did my morning fasted cardio in the cold. This time I wore warmer gloves and doubled up on my pants. I was a little more comfortable than previous times. I still wonder why I live in a cold climate. I don't particularly like the cold and I don't partake in winter sports. I would move somewhere warmer if it was possible. I lifted again and I was surprised how heavy the weight seemed to be. I told myself I would ease into it was considering I am recovering from pneumonia. I just thought that I would be in better condition than I actually am. I am still happy that I am finally lifting again after a long hiatus.

10. specialk

Nothing unusual today. I woke up and did my 44 minutes of fasted cardio. I usually wake up at 5:30am and take 500 ml of vitamin C, bulk BCAA's, ALC, Glutamine, and an EC stack. I try to keep my heart rate in the 70% range. One of my christmas gifts was a Polar HR monitor. This has been extreamly useful doing LISS cardio. A brisk walk with some hills can get my heart rate to where it needs to be and the EC stack elevates my heart rate as well.

I have also scrutinized my macro's and total daily calories consumed. On lifting days I will now be eating 2500 calories, with most of my carbs consumed immediately after weight training and at my last meal of the day. On non training days I will be eating 2000 calories, and I will try limit my carbs. Protein and fats will make up the bulk of my daily calories.

11. specialk

Eight consecutive days of LISS cardio is a good start to my cut. I almost had to cancel this morning because both my 3 & 5 year old woke up at 5:30am and came into bed with me. I got them both milk and put on ANTZ while I went for my morning walk. By the time I got back my wife was up and I didn't feel so guilty leaving them by themselves.

I also did my legs and calves routine this evening and really had difficulty finishing my sets. The lactic build-up in my thighs and shins was noticeable and I forced as many reps as I could in good form. I was trembling when it came time to do my standing calf raises. I kept thinking that I was going to collapse under the weight. I finished and was completely drained.

Last night I began reading "The Da Vinci Code". I really enjoyed "Angels & Demons" by Dan Brown so I thought I would read another of his novels.

12. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

Nice work on the workout intensity and the cardio. How many consecutive days are you shooting for?

The Davinci code was a great book. I just had to remind myself to take it for its entertainment value and not buy too much into the conspiracy theories.

13. specialk

Hey BG-

I want to say welcome back to the forums, I missed your posts/personality.

I'm trying to break M@'s record. Although I'm not shure exactly how many days he did cardio in a row. :confused:

Your right Dan Brown loves to write about all sorts of conspiracy theories. Mostly I read it for the entertainment value and also because the chapters are usually a few pages long so I feel constructive when I can say I read eight chapters a night. I didn't even know the Illiminati, mason guild, Opus Die, and other societies even existed before I read Angels & Demons. I'm glad to say that I checked this book out of the library in the fiction section where it belongs.

I'm trying to break the habit of watching the TV in the evenings and a good book seems to be doing the trick so far.

14. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Dan Brown writes such utter garbage it's unreal. Sadly it's addictive garbage :)

It just goes to show that even if you can barely string a sentence together, you can become a successful novellist with a controversial but gripping storyline :p

15. badgolfer

Thanks SpecialK. I'm currently on my best behavior.

I'm doing the exact same thing with the television that you are doing. I am definitely left with a feeling of accomplishment every night. Right now I am working a goal workbook and mixing that up with reading books too. Television is the devil dressed up as Salma Hayek.

16. specialk

Gazareth-

Dan Brown might never win a Pulitzer prize for his writing but he does research his subject matter and gives certain credibility to historical events. I am intrigued by the story he tells. I do not believe for a minute that any of it is actual fact, but as a story teller he has the ability to write a scene that makes the reader feel that he is transported to the locale and is a passive observer.

17. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not sure he does actually do research though - or if he does, he uses Geocities and Tripod websites to do it :lol:

His writing is very pedagogic which makes him sound more informed thatn he actually is. For example, in the Da Vinci Code there is a reference to millions of women being burned as witches across Europe in the Medieval Age. The actual number that were burned was much, much lower - in the hundreds or so, if that. There's a great panel quiz over here called QI ("Quite Interesting") that had a series of questions about factual errors from Dan Brown books a while back :D

18. specialk

Your right in stating that Dan Brown writing is very pedagogic. His main character Robert Langdon, a professor at Harvard, tries to give credibility to the historical references Dan Brown sprinkles throughout his novel. I don't argue that the author's references are not substantiated with fact, but as a fiction novelists he does have some artistic license.

19. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

gazareth... I think you, and many others, try to make Dan Brown's books out to be something they were never intended to be... it isn't a text book... it's FICTION and it was meant to be read as such.. saying things like "his writing is very pedagogic" makes it sound like you took his book out of the context it was intended to be read in. That's the same thing many people in the US have done & said about the Harry Potter books, claiming that children will take what's in the books to be fact... when in fact children understand that the books are not real... it's the parents who blow it out of proportion... which is the same type of giberish that some people use in relation to the Dan Brown books.... frankly... I loved them, they (Angles & Demons & Da Vinci Code) were both very good mystery novels :nod: why can't people just leave it at that and let it go? I also thought they did a very good job with The Davinici Code movie :tu: and can't wait for them to make a movie out of Angles & Demons, which I thought was an even better book than Da Vinci Code

20. badgolfer

I tend to shy away from the movies if I read the book first. I have wonderful pictures in my head that the book helped create and I don't want to ruin them. I'm going to put Angels & Demons on my list of books to read since you guys liked it so much.