1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Soy

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by mastover, Sep 13, 2011.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I get a lot of people who wish to use soy, mostly vegetarians. Stay away from the majority of soy.. Considering 91% grown is GMO and contains boat loads of anti-nutritional factors ( saponins, soyatoxin, phytates, protease inhibitors, oxalates, goitrogens and estrogens to name a few).. A lot better choices out there.. If you can digest whey protein, go with this. As a non-vegetarian, I still get over 50% of my daily protein from protein powder (isolate, MPI, CC, CMDI, Casein) This also is superior over the vegetable protein powders such as pea and rice protein.

The only healthy soy is the organic fermented kinds like tempeh, natto, and miso..

I have had a few clients recently, who have experienced weight gain after a week of stellar dieting and training. After further probing, I've discovered that they were using soy protein, or soy based products. This will lead to hormonal discrepancies and fluctuations resulting in bloat and water weight gain, along with the aforementioned stated above.

2. bk9824

bk9824 Active Member

Thanks for another great post Mastover.

In regards to digesting whey protein, how can you tell if you do so adequately? I've reduced the amount of meat and protein powder (Chocolate Nitrean) I consume (past 7 days) and can tell a significant improvement in digestion, and an overall lack of bloating.

I'm not actively training aside from walking with my wife in the evening as a support mechanism for her. So I'm not so concerned with hitting high protein levels for cutting or bulking.

In short, I feel much lighter (even though the scale is only down about a lb or so - which leads me to believe it's either water or just the body digesting better).

So, wrapping a longish response, how to tell if digesting whey properly? Also, would you recommend whey for a pregnant gal?

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

With the absence of protein sources, you might be taking in more fiber in your diet. You also might be losing muscle or maintaining what you have. If the protein powder you are using is a blend, you might experience bloat and poor digestion due to an allergy or lactose intolerance to whey concentrate and egg.

Generally, whey protein is safe for expecting mothers. However, without knowing any specifics about your wife, she should always consult with her physician.

4. bk9824

bk9824 Active Member

I would agree that I'm taking in more fiber than before, as I always felt extremely full and bloated when taking in more protein and could barely stomach more food (more veggies, etc.) Just seems that even after breaking up protein into 5-6 small meals I still felt very heavy/bloated/full.

We're going the route of a midwife (30 yrs experience), who promotes healthy/clean eating and have our first "formal consultation" next Wednesday. She's recommended my wife taking in no more than 100g protein/daily, as she has seen larger babies when mothers consistently take in that much. She recommends 70-90 g/day. My wife weighs about 105 and stands 5'3", no clue on her BF %, but I'd say it's approaching 20-25%, maybe more.

She has mentioned that she's not a big proponent of milk/dairy products though. Incidentally she referenced hidden allergies... similar to what you have recommended in the past.

So.. for those of you even remotely skeptical of the advice/consulting services of Mastover there's more proof that he knows what he's talking about.