1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Soup- As a snack?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Zilla, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I'm on a mission to find other kinds of "snacks" with the weather during cooler.

As the title suggests, is there anything wrong with using soup as snack? It wouldn't be the nasty stuff from the can. Instead it would be a modifed version of the following recipe:

Vegetable Soup

1 cup (240 ml) low sodium vegetable, chicken, or beef stock
    1 large tomato, quartered or 1 cup (240 ml) canned tomatoes
    1/4 cup (30 g) chopped celery
    1/4 cup (32 g) chopped carrots
    1 tablespoon chopped sweet green bell pepper
    1/4 cup (40 g) lima beans, canned or frozen (thawed)
    1/4 cup (36 g) peas, fresh or frozen (thawed)
    dash onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    salt and pepper, to taste

The recipe is from http://www.vitamix.com Click on soups and scroll to the bottom where it says "Vegetable Soup".

If this soup is made as is, a single serving ( a cup or 8 oz) is 82 calories. The only possible problem with this recipe is the salt from the broth if I use canned. If I make my own, the salt content would be a non-issue.

Lima beans taste like sawdust to me, so those would be replaced with another type of veggie.

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

If the premade stock is fine there is nothing wrong with soup . But like you mentioned you could make your own and avoid even the chance the store bought stock might have funny stuff in it.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    On many occasions I've used soup as a snack or one of my mini meals throughout the day. As long as the ingredients are good it can be healthy and filling. I usually make my own stock/broth as the store bought ones always contain too much sodium and, quite frankly, I like the taste of my own better.

I'm presently "snacking" on bowls of turkey soup that I made a couple of days ago with the leftovers from a turkey I roasted. Making the broth is easy, but it takes some time so it's best done on a weekend or by using a crockpot while you're at work.