1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Soreness on the second day..

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Maximus, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Maximus

Maximus Guest

Is it just me or does anyone else out there experience their worst soreness exactly 2 days after their workout. The day after I'm usually oblivious to the pain, then that night some soreness starts to set in, and the morning after that I'm pretty much useless. :) Anyone esle?

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Man, I'm experiencing that right now. My legs are KILLING me from Thursday's workout. Yesterday (Friday) was bad, but today is much worse. I say "bad" and "worse", but everyone knows from reading my news updates that I really love being sore... :D

3. Maximus

Maximus Guest

Same here dude..it feels great. You can actually feel each individual muscle that you worked. Even though I'm not in great shape it makes me feel more athletic when I'm sore. :tucool:

4. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

When I first started working my legs I had trouble walking for about a week after it, I couldn't run or hardly stand up, lol, It's fine now, sometimes my legs feel "wobbly" but thats it.

5. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

take vitamin E.. it reduces soreness greatly

6. Rockman

Rockman Well-Known Member

I'm with ya! I did squats for the first time Wed. since my college days, years ago. I was expecting to be hobbled Thurs morning but felt nothing but come Friday the soreness started and then today I nearly yelped like kicked dog when trying to sit down. My quads and glutes are killing me. Oddly enough, the soreness didn't hamper my 45 min cardio today. But man, I'm feeling it now! :eek:

7. ringn3s

ringn3s Well-Known Member

Soreness and Max-OT

I'm currently studying the Max-OT course, and it look like soreness and burning sensations are not good! Is it OK to feel the soreness after a while when your'e training Max-OT? it really attacks all the old myths of the "pain" of muscle building.

I'm a real newbie at bulking, but pretty experienced with cardio excercises. (Skinny ectomorphe type of guy who wants to be more mesomorphic.... :o )
    Is Max-OT a good way to start for a non-muscular person? Just want to do a minimum of research before I start to avoid the errors that cost many people their motivation.

8. SCHTEEVIE

SCHTEEVIE Well-Known Member

Just be careful that your "minimal research" doesn't cause you to do something wrong and cause an injury - that can be a real motivation killer too... :confused:

Anyway - soreness does not = gains.
    propper training and a good diet = gains.
    you can still get soreness when you are training improperly...

...having said that - I always feel good when I can feel the pain in the muscles I worked a few days prior :flex:
    (and yes, it tends to hurt more 2-3 days later)

I wouldn't start with Max-OT if you are new
    - you need to learn good weight lifting form, and determine what is "heavy" to you.
    - go more conservatively for 6-8 months then decide to get advanced and you'll get the most out of Max-OT and avoid a possible injury.

read the "bulking guide" sticky to get a good start. :tu:

#8 SCHTEEVIE, Jan 25, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  9. Naytch

Naytch Well-Known Member

as long as you are sore and not in pain, you'll be alright. :tucool:

10. Tiger King

Tiger King Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know how you feel. The day after, I find my muscles have more of a numbing pain than anything, and around the second day the numb feeling is gone and at that point anything I do will make them feel pain.

11. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

definatly 2 days after here hehe, which is why i always leave atleast 3 days between muscle group work outs. Day after i'm fine then i'm stiff and sore the next

12. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

I find that I experience more soreness if I haven't taken in enough water. If you're even the slightest bit dehydrated, your muscles will struggle to recover. That's one of the reasons people swear by creatine because it acts as a cell volumizer(sp?). But if you are using creatin, be sure to up you water intake as well. I currently do not use creatine and I drink, on an average of 1.5 gallons/day. That's a little over 5.5 liters for our non-U.S. members.

13. steviedisco

steviedisco Well-Known Member

Don't forget after your workout to do a cool-down and then stretch again. It's tempting to just pack up and get into the shower, particularly if you're pushed for time, but it's really important.

It's something we used to do at football, and apparently it helps the muscles get back into their proper shape after exercise or something, and helps get rid of the sore/stiffness the next day.

14. AniMe

AniMe Well-Known Member

Heh, yeah soreness is worst 2 days after, and I love it =) I feel like I've done something useful...

Oh, steviedisco, I've 'heard' that stretching does not make less soreness but makes you more ... Movable in the long run and not so stiff and 'short'... Sorry for my bad English and knowledge ;)

15. AniMe

AniMe Well-Known Member

Hmmm, 5,5 litres water a day?!?

I seldom drink more than 2-3 glasses of water a day... That's not even a litre...

16. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Well I should explain that it's very easy for me to do because that's about all I drink. 5.5 is just and average, I usually drink about 2.5-3 just at the gym. And I don't include the protein shakes I drink, juices, and tea. That's just straight water.

17. AniMe

AniMe Well-Known Member

OUCH! How can you be so thirsty? If I run 5 kilometres I'd be drinking top, half a litre of water... Damn :(

18. Tiger King

He's probably thirsty from the effort/exertion he puts into his workouts. I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong btw) that its a matter so much of him being thirsty as it is his body cells demanding water from the drop of osmotic pressure from his exercise.

I find that I drink most of my daily requirement just from training alone. When weight lifting I go through about 4 glasses worth of water, 5 or so when doing cardio and about 8 when im doing thai boxing..

Hell, if anyone has trouble meeting their daily water intake, just go for a long hard run or some other kind of workout..You won't want anything else after that.

19. AniMe

AniMe Well-Known Member

Wow.. Alright... I'll see if my water intake will rise now that I've gotten a great training schedule to follow...

By the way, since I'm not a native speaker of English it's very hard with all these terms I barely know in Swedish to be in English... What's "cardio" and "osmotic pressure"? :D

20. Tiger King

Cardio is anything that works your cardiovascular system, your lungs and heart and bloodflow, air intake, all that wonderful stuff. It involves exercise mostly like (but not limited to) running, biking, swimming, jump rope (especially jump rope)

Stuff like that.

Osmotic pressure isn't a super common bodybuilding term, but the hypothalamus, a part of your brain, detects whether or not your body cells require water, it tells by "measuring" the osmotic pressure in your cells..Errm..Simply put, the less pressure, the less water, and the more demand for water the cells send out. The hypothalamus picks it up and gives your brain the signal to make you thirsty.

That's what I meant by him working out and getting thirsty, he works out, he uses/sweats water and all that, depletes his own stores, and the pressure in the cells drop somewhat and in turn he gets very thirsty and needs to drink.

So yep..There's your explanations as well as a bit more indepth look at why we get so thirsty when exercising.