1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Soreness/fatigue

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Barber, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Barber

Barber Well-Known Member

Dear everyone,

My boss who is in his 60's has recently got the workout bug and has been either running or lifting weights 6 days/week. He asked me that he feels really worn out and sore at times. I know he eats well and he isn't "overtraining". What else can he do/take to minimiize the soreness and feeling "worn out"?

I recommended BCAA and fish oil. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

3. banderbe

banderbe Active Member

Nothing wrong with running OR lifting six days a week.

If he's lifting six days a week though, that's to much!

If he's running six days a week and lifting three to four days a week, that's probably okay if he's getting good sleep and nutrition.

4. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

5. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

He should probably work up to that. Going from a 60-year old couch potato to working out 6 days per week is probably more than he is ready for. I'd say cut it back to 3-4 days per week and then slowly build toward more days if necessary.

6. banderbe

banderbe Active Member

Another thing occurred to me.

Post-workout nutrition.

He ought to be consuming a carbohydrate/protein drink immediately after weight training to get a jump start on protein synthesis and recovery.

Many people will tell you this makes a huge difference in how they feel hours or even a day after the workout.

A book called "Nutrient Timing" would be an excellent resource to learn more about optimizing nutrition for weight training.

7. Colin.

Colin. Active Member

I know it's based on the individual but for me the difference between being sore and not being sore was consistency and my diet.

When I used to "workout" with no set diet plan I would be tired and sore long after, once I started eating properly the muscle group I workout on say monday will be sore for tuesday, but after that it improves drastically.

8. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Let's take a look at his exact workout and running routine per week.

If he's just taken this up he should keep in mind that older guys take longer to get in shape than younger guys.

More recovery is required than a younger guy.

Getting enough sleep is paramount.

Make sure he drinks lots of water.

What's his basic body type?

Is he trying to build muscle,lose weight, get in shape or all of those?

"Active Recovery" works for me. On off days limber up the muscles, walk, stretch etc' etc.

I would say the program he is on is of major importance. You can't get away with half the stuff when your older that you could get away with at 25.

But you can still do alot of things. It's just knowing what works for you now that you've got a little more mileage on the clock.

I'm pickier and eat better now than I did when I was in my twenties.

But for an older guy slurping back 300 grams of Prot.Powder a day isn't necessarily going to help him and may just lead to excess fat buildup.

That said, personally I eat quite a bit of protein in different forms.

I never have a breakfast that doesn't include eggwhites and oatmeal.

And the oatmeal often is in a bowl along with Whey,Stevia,Milk,Fiber and Glutamine.

I use Creatine in Whey Shakes.

I eat lots of canned Tuna (Yellowfin) and canned Pink salmon and Chicken.

I eat more Fish and Eggs and Chicken than I do meat.

Although in the near future I am going to increase my meat intake somewhat.

I eat loads of salads and fruit.

I eat Multi-grain Flax bread. I eat Multi-grain bagels.

One day I'll use butter...another day I won't.

Fish oil is good.

From the post so far I think he is just simply overdoing it.

Don't forget that Testo levels are usually lower in older guys along with the fact that as you age you lose a certain amount of Lean Body Mass per decade which is usually replaced by fat. This means that initially you're not going to bounce back and recover from heavy workouts like you did when you were younger.

So if he says "Well..I weighed 200 when I was 30 and I weigh 200 now", if he hasn't worked out at all for 20 years a bigger portion of his current 200 will be body fat.

He needs to realize that it takes time...he can achieve some remarkable goals and fantastic shape....but it won't be "overnight".

And I would say yes....the better you eat the better the results will be.

Again...make sure he drinks lots of water.

9. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Ask him to write out his entire routine, split, sets and reps, cardio routine, comments on intensity, etc.

Ask him to write out his diet, a sample day of meals, when he eats each meal, etc.

You see what I mean? We can't say what the problem might be or what might help him without knowing more. "...has been either running or lifting weights 6 days/week" could mean 5 full body workouts a week with super high volume, or it could mean 1 set of concentraion curls on Monday and walking around the block once on Tuesday through Saturday. :) And "he eats well" might mean 6 meals of clean, unprocessed meals with plenty of protein, carbs, fats, fruits and vegetables, or it might mean the Grapefruit Diet combined with 16 cups of Powerade because "that stuff is good for you!" :)

If you can find out more information I'm sure we can help him address and fix the problem. Ask him to email some of this stuff for you and paste it here for us, if you can. :tu:

10. goonie

goonie Active Member

My question exactly. Before this latest workout bug hit, what kind of fitness level was this 60 year man operating at?

11. chang

chang Well-Known Member

ETS from AtLarge nutrition is a great supplement when coupled with a solid diet. It's my number 1 recovery supplement, seriously it's that good.