1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

sore legs . . . can't run!

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by baldridges, Apr 11, 2010.

1. baldridges

baldridges Well-Known Member

I am on a routine of lifting 3 days a week and running 4 days a week (3 runs of 3+ miles and 1 day of HIIT). I run because I am training for a 1/2 marathon, so I really prefer that to be my method of cardio. Anyway, I decided I have delayed doing squats long enough, and did a really great leg workout Friday including some serious squats. Well, of course my legs are now dead. Problem is, I can't run due to my legs being so sore. I went about a mile and a half yesterday and it never really improved. Any suggestions from people with similar experiences?

2. baldridges

baldridges Well-Known Member

Well, nevermind. I decided to be a man and stop whining about it and just run. After about 2 miles I was ok. I will know for next time. Squats will still be in the Friday workouts.

3. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

I have a similar problem in that my job requires me to walk/move around all day and after squats, i sometimes find it almost unbearable. My only advice is to keep at it and you'll get a little more used to it, and try to plan your leg workouts to not fall on days close to days that you run. I usually try to work my legs on fridays as I don't work sat/sun. Good luck!

4. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

I just saw this topic today.

Good luck on your half-marathon training. I'm thinking about doing that myself this summer.

I am in about the same situation as you (or at least try to be as consistent, with 3, 3 mile runs a week and one other day of cardio).

Since you are new to squats, and you will probably get progressively heavier on them, you might want to make sure to space them from your runs. Of course, this is all dependent on your schedule, but if you do a lot of your running on the weekends, maybe move your squats to mid-week?

I just finished a program called Stronglifts 5x5 where you do squats three times a week, adding 5# each time. It was a 12 week program, so the first 8 or so weeks I didn't have any problems squatting, then running afterward, but as it got heavier I had to change my running days around. Now I do squats (or leg press) on Sun, Tues and Thurs and run on Sun, Mon, Wed, and Sat, so only Sun overlaps, but I have more time in the day to space it out then.

the main thing, especially training for a half marathon, is to not get your legs too fatigued and risk injury. I've seen some benefit in my running from squats, but don't over do it.