1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Something's happened to my calf!

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Igor, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Igor

Igor Well-Known Member

The weirdest thing happened last night when i was sleeping. In the middle of the night i woke up with this extreme pain in my right calf. It hurt so bad that i got really scared and started thinking all kinds of crazy thoughts like that i might have gangrene and might have to amputate my whole fucking leg. Then after i had settled down i realized it couldn't be anything like that since i hadn't cut myself or recieved any infections anywhere or anything. After few minutes i discovered that it only hurt when i stretched my calf out. If i kept it retracted by bending my foot outwards (like you do when you walk on yout toes) it stopped hurting.

At first it was so bad that i had to limp on my right toes to go to the bathroom since it hurt like hell if i tried to extend my calf in any way. Then after a few hours when i woke up it had gotten much better. I can now stretch it far enough that i can almost walk normally. I still have to keep my right knee down and i can't make the leg fully erect, since it still hurts if i try to extend the calf fully. I have no idea what caused this, and nothing like it has ever happened before. I looked up the symptoms on an online medical journal, and it listed all kinds of conditions, from blood clots, to tenditis to shingles.

It also said one thing that got me a bit scared. It said that if you experience calf pain in combination with chest pain that you should immediately seek emergency medical attention. Fortunately i don't have any chest pain at all, but it still made me a bit scared. I have no idea what this might be, or how serious it is. I'm going to go to the school physician on monday and see what they say. Apart from the pain when i try to extend the calf, everything else is fine. I have no swelling, discoloration, numbness, loss of feeling or anything like that. I can still put weight on the leg and walk aroun and do everything else i can normally do. It only hurts when i try to extend the calf. So i'm guessing it's nothing too serious. But still, it did happen extremely suddenly, out of the blue, in the middle of the night. So i'm still worried. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Has anyone ever experience anything similar, either in the calf or in any other part of the body?

2. George

George Senior Member

Did you do any leg work or running yesterday?
    I've experienced something similar after hitting my calves hard when coming off of a break. I actually got it in both calves, though. I had to walk around on my tip-toes when I got up that day but as I kept walking it became more and more comfortable and I was completely fine within a day or two. I just chalked it up to soreness/cramping.

3. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Just sounds like cramp to me, you were probably dehydrated. Drink more water!

I have woken up with cramp in my calf before, it is very painful and yes, I can relate to the idea of limping to the toilet! Usually it is OK by the next day but in some cases it's still a bit stiff for 24 hours.

I think hamstring cramp is the worst kind I've had. I was hopping around my living room like a lunatic when that happened :o

4. Igor

Igor Well-Known Member

No, i hadn't done any exercises or workouts the day before. I did experience some pretty heavy dehydration though. I woke up in the middle of the night from my bladder being completely full, and my mouth was completely parched. So i went to the bathroom and and drank plenty of water, and the same thing happened 1 or 2 hours later which kept me up most of the night. The water just went right through me. Even though i drank tons of it my mouth was dry as a bone, and i had to go the the bathroom constantly. It's better now though. I'll see what the school physician says on monday.

5. zkat

zkat Well-Known Member

Make sure you tell the school physcian about the extreme thirst and frequent urination. Was there a reason for it or is it unexplained and has it happened before? It is one of the most common symptoms of Diabetes.

Kat.

6. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

From time to time my right calf will cramp up while I'm sleeping so bad that it wakes me up, I lye there in agony tensing my calf muscle as much as I can with my toes outstretched cause that seems to help.... then it pass's and I go back to bed. I have also had it happen when I was sitting with my legs crossed and up on my desk with all the weight leaning on my right calf. hurts like hell, but I have never had the pain last any longer then a few minutes.

Oh also worth mentioning, I have varicose veins in my right calf and it only happens in my right calf, so I assume that has something to do with it.

Chris.

7. RubberDucky

RubberDucky Active Member

Sounds like you just got a really bad cramp, or what I've always called a Charley Horse. I'll get them from time to time, both awake and asleep--I agree they hurt like hell :lol:.