1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Some cutting musts

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by dms2425, Nov 16, 2004.

1. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

At 62, it is the same as it was at 14. I want to look good with my shirt off and legs showing. the last things on the face of this earth would be to lift xxx amount of weight or to run anywhere. I want everyone to admire my body.

2. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

Well I can see that a lot of people either don't agree with or don't understand my line of thinking.

What I'm saying is how you look with your shirt off is very subjective and not concrete. But a goal of climbing a mountain, or running a 6 minute mile, or surfing the pipeline in Hawaii or any activity that you can measure is concrete and thus a true goal.

rtestes: (I'm only addressing you because you have a few more years under your belt then the rest) But when you look back at your life what are the things that stand out? The fact that you look good with your shirt off or are there events or happenings that you've done that stand out more? These events or happenings are the things that define you as a person. These are the kinds of goals worth having.

Don't get me wrong, looking good is important but I can think of a lot more what I consider to be worth while goals.

Have fun bulking and cutting.

3. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

This pretty pointless "debate" can be put to an end quite easily. Please note the bolded word in the quote above.

:tu:

4. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

For a large portion of my life, a good body opened doors to relationships that produced my children and grandchildern, and closeness with women that have been so much a part of my life. In many ways, my body played a part in my careers.

The "good" body was also a healthy body that allowed me to enjoy life. It has kept me out of hospitals except for tonsils and appendicitis as a child.

So give me the body that looks good, it will help with anything else I want or need.

5. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

This hasn't been pointless at all.

I've discovered that most people on this board see fitness as an end. While I see fitness as a means to an end.

Good luck getting to that magic number in body fat. Once you get there maybe you can look real good washing your car or something I guess. :rolleyes: <--- sarcasm, thanks John!

6. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Perhaps not, but none of it belongs in this thread. You should have started your own thread and not derailed this one. The person who started this thread was not asking for views on why we cut and bulk, and your post was pretty much a textbook example of a thread crap - particularly since you've shown obvious distain for those who don't share your point of view. I'd expect better from a member who has been here as long as you have.

Yeah, AMR - we all know what it means, just as I'm sure you did when you posted to me originally. Being rude and sarcastic to those who disagree with you doesn't make your point any more palatable, it just makes you look like an asshole.

Your thread derailing ends now. Your "debate" can be continued in another thread or taken up via PM if you wish. Any future posts to this thread that don't address the original poster's question will be deleted without warning.

7. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Well-Known Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I've fought my weight my entire life. I've lost weight using diet alone. I've lost weight using diet and cardio. I've lost weight using diet and weight training. I've lost (and subsequently regained) over 30 lbs using each of those combinations.

I didn't have any real success until I combined diet, cardio, and weight training. This time around, I've lost over 60 lbs and I've kept it off for over a year. More importantly, I can see a real physical change in my body. Those pesky love handles are virtually gone. I was never able to achieve that using only two of the three.

Will I eventually regain the weight this time? Yes, but only if I fall off the wagon and quit my diet, cardio, and weight training routines.

8. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

(Adhering to John's rules....and it's hard not to chime in!)

DMS2425: I would do just like you said! Lower your calories, and maybe do a little more cardio.

IMO Weight Training should not change at all when going from bulking to cutting. You lift weight to make muscles bigger, increase metabolism, etc. So, what do you want to not have big muscles when you're ripped? The same rules apply. If you successfully gained muscle during your bulk, don't change your weight lifting routine. Maybe change the exercise order or change some exercises for others, but as far as sets/reps/etc. I'd leave it alone if it worked for you. Just eat differently and do some cardio.

9. CASD

CASD Well-Known Member

You better change your nick name "Puddy" :p :lol:

10. dms2425

dms2425 Well-Known Member

k, just started cutting 3 days ago , thx for the tips every1 :D

11. hibiscus09

hibiscus09 Well-Known Member

Hey, I'll try to add something that has nothing to do with how good I look with my shirt off. :lol: Only hubby, me & the doc get to see such, however. ;)

When going from bulking to cutting, do it gradually. I've notice suggestions for how many calories by which you should reduce your diet. I'd say reduce your calories by small amounts weekly, rather than just drastically cutting the calories. Try 50 calories per week and bring them down that way. Once you get as low as you need to go calorie wise doing that, you could start calorie cycling. A few days of lower calories & then a high calorie day. When that stops working, switch to carb cycling -- same thing, a few days lower carb, then a refeed day. You don't need to begin cutting by taking away tons of calories because you won't have any eggs left in your basket when you plateau & you will hit plateaus when cutting.

Also, gradually increase cardio. I'm not sure what you were already accustomed to doing, but I do an incremental increasing of cardio -- for example, start with 20 minutes 3X a week, add 5 minutes per session per week until you're doing 30 minutes 3X a week. Then, add another day of cardio the next week -- 30 mins X 4. After that week, 30 mins X 5. Then add 5 minutes weekly to each session until you're doing 45 minutes 5 to 6 times a week. I switch up between HIIT cardio and longer duration. I don't do HIIT for more than 30 minutes however at any given time, so when I get beyond the 30 minute mark I do steady state.

Anyhoo, just some suggestions. :)

12. dms2425

dms2425 Well-Known Member

13. Lindsay

Lindsay Well-Known Member

hi, i'm reading all this stuff about cutting..now i'm wondering if girls "cut" if so how?!
    lindsay

14. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Of course they do, they do it just like men. The results only differ by gender differences. Nearly anything you read here can be used by females.

15. PhilipDC78

PhilipDC78 Well-Known Member

Girls cut in the same way that guys cut. The term "cutting" simply means reducing body fat, or "cutting" body fat.

So a girl would cut by having a clean diet and excersizing, just like all the boys out there.

16. G_Man

G_Man Well-Known Member

One of first things I changed when cutting calories was switching to Corona light beer from regular Corona beer. From there it’s been a gradual change for the better and the healthier. I know me and if I do a total radical change it won’t last. Good luck!

17. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

Well, you obviously know what rule #1 is.

Make sure you drink lots of water!

:d_wink:

18. G_Man

G_Man Well-Known Member

Rule # 1 for me is to enjoy life. There’s nothing better to me than a cold beer while grilling on the Weber. I have been able to slowly move towards my goals without sacrificing all the small pleasures in my life. :nod:

19. ethan

ethan Well-Known Member

did everyone just miss the comment about "light weight/high reps" made by the first poster? This is the fastest way to lose your lean mass

20. Naytch

Naytch Well-Known Member

It is far easier for the gym instructor to tell you to jump on a bike or treadmill for 35 minutes then to assist you in a weights workout. Next time, tell the instructor that you want a resistance program. :db: