1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Some cutting musts

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by dms2425, Nov 16, 2004.

1. dms2425

dms2425 Well-Known Member

Ok I ended bulking today, now I'm supposed to start cutting , any good tips and stuff? , oh one thing should I change my lifiting routine when cutting or just lower calories and more cardio or does everything change?

2. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

Yes, here are a few changes:
    1. You want switch to a workout that is lower in reps, higher in weight, and higher in sets. A 5x5 workout, for example. The greater the weight, the more microtrauma in the muscles. This will help prevent muscle loss and may add to more strength gains. Make sure you use mostly compound lifts. Here is a good cutting workout.
    2. Lower calories 300 below the level you eat at to maintain. You can go up to 500 under, but risk losing more muscle that way. Keep your protein amount at 1 gram per lb of weight per day.
    3. Cardio is optional (the calorie change is the biggest factor), but keep cardio short and intense when you do it. Keep it around 25 minutes or less. Do HIIT cardio if you can. Studies have sown that HIIT burns more calories in a shorter amount of time. The shorter amount of time helps preserve muscle.
    4. Be consistent and persistent. Hit your workouts hard, keep to your schedule, and make sure your diet is keyed in and accurate.

Good luck!

3. PhilipDC78

PhilipDC78 Well-Known Member

There are also studied which show that low to medium intensity cardio in a fasted state for long periods of time (45-60 minutes) with a regularity of six to seven times per week is the best way to cut and still maintain lean body mass. They also say that the cardio is not only not optional, but the greatest contributing factor in a cutting program.

4. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Well, whoever "they" refers to is quite incorrect. Cardio is definitely beneficial, however proper dieting and weight training are far more important in losing FAT. Should the person's goal be only weight loss, then cardio would rank higher than weight training, however we all know that weight is not what matters, body fat is. :nod:

5. Balla_Baby

Balla_Baby Well-Known Member

Really? I'm also trying to lose fat not weight but I was told by a gym instructor to go cardio for about 35 minutes. If I'm just trying to lose fat, should I just concentrate on weights?

6. Stacemranger

Stacemranger Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you lose weight when you lose fat? Anyway, I agree totally with what KarateTricker said.

7. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

I know that there is a specific bulk/cut process that a lot of people on this message board subscribe to.

But consider this: Why cut at all? For that matter, why bulk at all?

I know that amateur and professional body builders do the whole bulk/cut thing and it works for them. But why would a normal everyday Joe or Joann need to bulk and cut?

Why not instead find or create a workout that works for you and your specific goals?

I'm sorry but I don't think "looking good with my shirt off" is a good goal. Why? Because your basing your feelings on if other people think you look good with your shirt off or not. Wouldn't a better goal be to, run a marathon, or bench 300lbs, or bench your body weight 30 times, or to run a mile in less than 6 minutes, or if you want, to compete in a body building competition and countless others. As a side effect of whatever training you will probably eventually look good with your shirt off but it's not the main focus.

So what is the point of all this cutting and bulking?

8. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

To look good with my shirt off. :p

9. dms2425

dms2425 Well-Known Member

thats exactly the goal of bulking and cutting, lets say your goal is competing in a bodybuilding competition, you need to bulk and cut to do this, or you want to bench 300lbs, once again you are gonna cut and buld to achieve this goal

10. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

I can accept that.
    :rolleyes:

11. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

I don't agree. I've read on this very board numerous times that people loose a certain amount of muscle and strength while cutting.

I can see going through a periodization workout plan to increase strength to get to a 300lb bench but it wouldn't include a cutting phase.

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

What's with the roll eyes? Lighten up my man, it was a joke!

13. karatetricker

AMR, I'm sorry, but I have no idea what point you're trying to get across here?!

Why do people want to "look good with their shirt off"? It helps raise self-esteem and confidence and allows you to feel good about yourself. Why do we do anything in life that "betters" us as people? Perhaps you would be fine not being nice and toned walking around the beach, but to roll your eyes at John and others who wish to be able to walk around shirtless proudly is absurd. It's a personal goal, which IMO, is far better than many of the ones you suggested. Who the hell cares if you can bench press 300 lbs?

14. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

I know, I know. You gave me the silly face so I rolled my eyes. Just joking back at cha. ;)

15. karatetricker

Your gym instructor did not offer you poor advice. Cardio is a great tool to help when cutting. All I said is that it should not be considered of higher importance than weight training. Ideally, you want to combine both in your plan, however, if I had to choose one, it'd be weight training.

16. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Learn your emoticons. For the record:

silly face == joking
    roll eyes == sarcasm

17. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

My point is, looking good with your shirt off is a decent goal. BUT I think there should be something more. I completely understand what you're saying about self esteem and all and I agree BUT what would make you feel better? Thinking that you look good with your shirt off or being able to hike to the top of a mountain, riding your bike a hundred miles, or completing an IRONMAN triathlon? Or going to the beach and not only taking your shirt off but being able to run and play frisbee, and go body surfing all day.

So my point is shouldn't the goal to be to enrich your life and do the things that you enjoy and not worry so much if you look good with your shirt off.

As far as benching 300lbs goes. I don't really care either. It was just something I threw out.

18. vovo

vovo Well-Known Member

i think looking good without your shirt on is a great goal same as having a body good enough to have the confidence to talk to/pick up that hot chick

most people don't wan't to run a marathon or climb a mountain, they are tired of the way they look and would like to look good, thus walking around the beach with no shirt on and attracting stares from everyone.

but even more important a goal should be personal, you shouldn't base a goal on what someone else thinks are good goals. a goal is something that you believe you can achieve and something that you wan't to achieve, thus it motivates you.

your goal is your goal, whether it be running a marathon or looking good without a shirt on. its just whatever flicks your switch.

~v

19. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

i would definitely say a 500 calorie deficit is fine. cardio shouldn't really be optional since if you do it fasted for 45 minutes at 65-75% heart rate, you'll cut down fast.

20. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

Personally, you know, if the ladies think I'm hot, I think that will enrich my life a lot... know what I mean?